IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Travel Insurance Article Discussion
Views: 181,326
Old 16-06-2010, 9:54 AM   #1
Former MSE Dan
Former Web Editor
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the updated

Travel Insurance guide.

To discuss or ask a question about this guide, click reply. Or read the old discussion thread.
Former MSE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
# 2
tallgareth
Old 16-06-2010, 11:27 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Direct Travel Platinum?

In the MSE article the best value policy is called Platinum Premier, but the Direct Travel website has no mention of Platinum policies. Am I missing something?

Also, it looks like you can get 14% cashback through quidco for Direct Travel, MSE's best value policy.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 3
medic1978
Old 16-06-2010, 1:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi

I also can't see any mention of platinum policy on direct travel's website.

Does anybody have any experience of the insurance policies included with Natwest Advantage Gold or LTSB Platinum. Thinking of getting one of these for travel insurance, AA cover, mobile phone cover (iPhone) etc...
# 4
medic1978
Old 23-06-2010, 12:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Any suggestions from anyone?
# 5
medic1978
Old 23-06-2010, 1:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

A typo? Probably. But mentioned multiple times in the article referring to different policies: world/europe/single etc.

Also, the prices quoted don't compare exactly with any of direct travel's policies- so I thought there might be a special MSE only policy via a special link or something but couldn't find anything
# 6
anuska_csb
Old 24-06-2010, 2:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Travel Insurance for pre exist conditions

Hi, am new to this posting game! Am looking for reasonably priced travel insurance for pre-existing medical conditions. My son has had benign brain tumour and is asthmatic. Can anyone help with a good priced company?
thanks, Anuska
# 7
tomthered
Old 25-06-2010, 11:56 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Tracel insurance for Pre-Existing medical condition

I have tried to get insurance for the following conditions. Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions besides the ones in the guide.

I have Iscaemic Heart Disease with Angina, have had Angioplasty with one stent, high blood pressure and have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

One of the quotes I got was for 472 but I have managed to reduce this to 83. I used one a couple of years ago but they don't do insurance any more.

Cannot understand the quotes as the only problem I have at present is my recent diabetes diagnoses, and even this is under control.

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions on companies they have used.

# 8
t0d
Old 29-06-2010, 11:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Independent Travellers Insurance for 70 day trip.

Says it in the title. I'm very confused, where can I find Independent Traveller's Insurance for a trip that lasts for 70 days Worldwide exc USA Canada?

I foolishly took out the M&S one without checking that it's only for 45 day trips!

Please help!
# 9
kettle
Old 30-06-2010, 7:04 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

tonthered My conditions match yours but I have no angina after angioplasty and stent years ago. I have had annual travel insurance from All Clear - directly with them 2 years ago and this year through Diabetes UK web site link (it is still with All Clear) and got an even better price.
The Following User Says Thank You to kettle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
mdavison
Old 30-06-2010, 7:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Overseas travel insurance.

I'm a UK national recently changed permanent address to Turkey. Many of the cheap UK quotes for travel insurance are for trips starting and ending in the UK for UK residents.
Any suggestions for providers of travel insurance for annual cover other than World Nomads for residents outside the UK?
Thank you and regards
# 11
luci
Old 01-07-2010, 6:53 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

www.worldwideinsure.co.uk or .com is similar to World Nomads.

I think you would need to get insurance from a Turkish insurer seeing as you are resident there.
# 12
BaileyB
Old 02-07-2010, 4:47 PM

Im have Noonan Syndrome and finding some wont quote me at all, while others offer 245 for worldwide 1 year cover.

Anyone got any suggestions on companies they have used.

thanks
# 13
Tashap
Old 02-07-2010, 8:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Does anyone know how long after you have an illness you can stop declaring. I had Breast Cancer in 1998 and no longer have check ups, any offers of advice?

Thanks
# 14
Doc N
Old 03-07-2010, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashap View Post
Does anyone know how long after you have an illness you can stop declaring. I had Breast Cancer in 1998 and no longer have check ups, any offers of advice?

Thanks
No easy answer to that one, I'm afraid. Pretty well every insurer asks a different set of health questions, and you need to examine the wording of these questions very carefully before deciding whether you need to make a declaration.
# 15
moneyfail
Old 05-07-2010, 8:54 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

hi all!

i have quite a specific question about policy coverage for worldwide medical accidents.

does international medical cover normally cover dental problems, for instance, say i was mugged in the street and assaulted in the process, losing a tooth, would i be able to claim on insurance to get it covered?

would the cover normally cover dental implants? or just the 'emergency treatment' to stop the pain?

anyone had experience with dental problems abroad?

any input greatly apreciated!!

EDIT: just incase your worried i am talking about drunken streetfighting, rest assured im not!

Last edited by moneyfail; 05-07-2010 at 8:57 AM.
# 16
tomthered
Old 05-07-2010, 12:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettle View Post
tonthered My conditions match yours but I have no angina after angioplasty and stent years ago. I have had annual travel insurance from All Clear - directly with them 2 years ago and this year through Diabetes UK web site link (it is still with All Clear) and got an even better price.
Many thanks for that, I have used all clear before but the quote from their website direct seemed dearer than others. I have a very good quote from 'Its easy@ which is from the moneysupermarket site link for Pre existing medical conditions. I also got a really good quote from ClubDirect after finding that within the forums. However, I will try Diabetes UK, never thought of looking on there.

I probably didn't make myself clear enough, in that I suffered Angina for the first time 3 years ago and ended up in hospital with a resulting stent. Had no problems from this since apart from two bouts of cardioversion solved them. I suspect I cannot keep potassium in my body which results in it dropping low and causing AF. Since then I eat plenty of bananas to counteract this issue.

My diabetes was only diagnosed recently, but that seems to be under control now.
# 17
Tashap
Old 06-07-2010, 9:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Has anyone ever upgraded their bank/building society "for a short time" to utilise the "free" travel insurance? Am thinking that may a good way to get cover for my old pre-existing condition?
The Following User Says Thank You to Tashap For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
cyberfoxx
Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I'm going away in september for a long weekend and the flights were just over 50. Does anyone know if I get travel insurance that covers me for 'scheduled airline failure' and the airline does go bust before then, do I have to pay an excess to make claim? ie. with columbus direct the standard excess is 60 per person per claim. Does this apply with SAF? Thanx
# 19
Expat Ann
Old 07-07-2010, 11:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default 90 days insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0d View Post
Says it in the title. I'm very confused, where can I find Independent Traveller's Insurance for a trip that lasts for 70 days Worldwide exc USA Canada?

I foolishly took out the M&S one without checking that it's only for 45 day trips!

Please help!
I took out extended cover up to 90 days with L+V for Europe. Would be worth a try for World Wide. They are brilliant if you need to make a claim.
# 20
ScarletBea
Old 14-07-2010, 6:41 PM

You mention that the Direct Travel annual europe multitrip is 33, but I just got the exclusive moneysupermarket policy from them, with great cover including baggage, cancellation and cash for 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgareth View Post
Also, it looks like you can get 14% cashback through quidco for Direct Travel, MSE's best value policy.
I've discovered that for travel insurance, it's better to forget cashback and go to one of the moneysupermarket exclusive deals, they end up being much cheaper than going via cashback to the company's site.
Being brave is going after your dreams head on

Last edited by ScarletBea; 14-07-2010 at 6:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScarletBea For This Useful Post: Show me >>