Great 'Cheap Stag/Hen Do' Hunt

Former_MSE_Lee
Former_MSE_Lee Posts: 343 Forumite
Great 'Cheap Stag/Hen Do' Hunt

It's wedding season, so brides, grooms, best-men & maids-of-honour everywhere will be preparing for their final blowouts.

There's been massive inflation in what people spend (stagflation?), but it's worth remembering it should be affordable for all. So we want MoneySavers tips on how to celebrate on a budget.

So if anyone has any tips on how to have a stag or hen do on the cheap, then please hit the reply button and share.

View past Great Hunts

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• lisap4123
    lisap4123 Posts: 97 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2010 at 8:04PM
    For my hen weekend away (May 2010) we stayed in a large Yurt and large tipi in a woods in Herefordshire, split the cost between us. We had a budget for a picnick, BBQ , party food and breakfasts too. Accom and food came to £60 pp.

We also hired canadian canoes and went on an organised trip down the river Wye - £6.60 per person. We picknicked by the river on a hot summers day and paddled in the river and swam in some safer parts where current was safe. We had a bbq and camp fire with fun and games on the Sat night. We also had a night in town on the Friday night which bumped the total cost up to around £80 per person, but without the night in town the whole weekend was only £66.60 each plus shared costs of petrol in shared cars to get there - about £3.50 each.

We had a wonderful weekend but we were really lucky with the weather in that it was really hot and sunny. I am not sure if it would have been such fun in the rain !

There are loads of things you can do which arent rip-offs.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
  • lozziem
    lozziem Posts: 11 Forumite
    For my hen do we have found a deal with a comedy club in Clapham. The clapham grand. They are doing a deal over summer, for £10 you get reserved seating, free arrival drink and night club entry. I have been to a comedy night there before and it's a nice venue, haven't tried the nightclub though. To get the special offer you have to put a voucher code in at the checkout. The code is "summeroffer".
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had a great hen do in Manchester, £22 gets you a welcome cocktail, a tapas meal (there was loads of food!), a 45 minute salsa & merengue lesson, tequila shot and then entry into the latino club night afterwards. Also a present for the hen! It wasn't full of hen parties, just a nice mix of people. Great fun!

Copacabana, Dale Street, Manchester.
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • JoE
    JoE Posts: 85 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2010 at 8:04PM
    My top tip - whatever you're booking, get the price BEFORE you tell them it's a stag/hen do as prices often go up as soon as they know (same goes for everything to do with weddings). And remember, with a decent size group you should be able to haggle the price down or at least get the bride/groom for free.

• nscott88
    nscott88 Posts: 16
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi there,

My boyfriend is best man in September so he has the difficulty of arranging the infamous stag do! He has decided to go to Liverpool as it would cost too much to go abroad and Liverpool is only a 4 hour drive away (from Glasgow). Do any of you have suggestions on what they could do?

Thanks,
    Natalie
  • bubbles0169
    bubbles0169 Posts: 6,230
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 22 June 2010 at 8:05PM
    you could have a hen night in party, like a adult sleep over or they go home at end of the night
    get your cheap booze from the supermarket and look online for cocktail recipes and
    play trivia games(also online) designed for hen partys too

if you do want to go out alot of the clubs give you a discount, VIP access if you pay a certain amount,get in by a certain time and ring before to book it

I am not bossy I just have better ideas:p
  • zipman23
    zipman23 Posts: 291
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    nscott88 wrote: »
    Hi there,

My boyfriend is best man in September so he has the difficulty of arranging the infamous stag do! He has decided to go to Liverpool as it would cost too much to go abroad and Liverpool is only a 4 hour drive away (from Glasgow). Do any of you have suggestions on what they could do?

Thanks,
    Natalie
    I'm off to Liverpool next month for a stag do (Not mine, but it is my first). We're going July 9th-11th and plan to go to Chester Races on the Saturday (I think theres a 'big' meet that day). Staying in a Premier Inn which is costing £26/room per night, local train to the racecourse is something like £4 return and then plan to get blitzed on the night time! (obviously with our winnings!) :)
    English by birth. GEORDIE by the grace of God.
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    I agree with Bristol Dancer, don't book through these companies online...

I organised my friends stag do last weekend. 8 guys. We all met in Solihull, where the groom lives, and in 2 cars drove to Snowdonia. We went quad trekking at Adventure Mountain off the A5, that was £36 each. We stayed B & B at the YHA hostel at Swallow Falls, with breakfast was £21 each. We went into Betws y Coed on the night and had a number of drinks, we got fish and chips from the chip shop. then on the sunday lunch time we did a raft building activity with Get Wet Adventure based near Bala, which was £15 per person. For lunch and dinner on the saturday, drinks on the night, and lunch on the sunday, people bought their own. total cost per guy, inlcuding fuel and covering the stag was £90 each. I spent £130 in total, but that included tequila shots etc. To do something similar through one these websites would be £200 plus. The room in the hostel was basic, 8 bunks, but had our own bathroom and it was comfy. the hostel itself had a pub/restaurant so we could have stayed their for the night.
    most importantly the groom had an awesome time, and I would fully recommend Adventure Mountain for the quad trekking, and Get Wet for any of their activities. We had an awesome time on both!

http://www.adventure-mountain.co.uk/
    http://www.get-wet.co.uk/
  • lisap4123 wrote: »
    For my hen weekend away (May 2010) we stayed in a large Yurt and large tipi in a woods in Herefordshire, split the cost between us. We had a budget for a picnick, BBQ , party food and breakfasts too. Accom and food came to £60 pp.

We also hired canadian canoes and went on an organised trip down the river Wye - £6.60 per person. We picknicked by the river on a hot summers day and paddled in the river and swam in some safer parts where current was safe. We had a bbq and camp fire with fun and games on the Sat night. We also had a night in town on the Friday night which bumped the total cost up to around £80 per person, but without the night in town the whole weekend was only £66.60 each plus shared costs of petrol in shared cars to get there - about £3.50 each.

We had a wonderful weekend but we were really lucky with the weather in that it was really hot and sunny. I am not sure if it would have been such fun in the rain !

There are loads of things you can do which arent rip-offs.

Can you please tell me where you did the canoeing down the River Wye? Am heading that way in August for a hen weekend and that sounds ideal!

Thanks
  • DeepBlue_2
    DeepBlue_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    I live in Brighton and have picked up many tips on hen nights on the cheap. An ASDA smart price bottle of of Vodka and some own brand cola should get even the most overweight of party goers nice and drunk on the journey to the seaside. If carefully planned, unconsciousness should kick in by about 7pm ready for a night in A&E. On your release the following day, simply jump back on the train and head home. A fantastic night not to remember can be had for less than a tenner and the cost of a train fare. Stags can save even more by not purchasing a pink cowboy hat.
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport