April 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Bluefire
    Bluefire Posts: 476
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Small spends today - £1 on milk, £1.53 on bananas & potatoes, 69p on baps for the OH's lunches. I've discovered B&M do a great range of meats for sandwiches for 99p so will be heading back there next week when he starts demanding something other than ham!
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]08/13 £28,896.49[/STRIKE] 01/18 £0
  • Went to Morrisons today. Got the offers that I wanted but also got sucked into buying a few extra things as had DS with me as we were on our way back from a hospital appointment. We now have about 18 yogurts in the fridge and 6 tubes of toothpaste in the bathroom!
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    45p spent today on a packet of crisps at work. Oops.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • Keiss_21
    Keiss_21 Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    my teenager is constantly in the cupboards looking for food /moaning we have no food ect he is very sporty but also doing gcse and college exams i would love to hear any ideas anyone has on healthy filling snacks that are quick and cheap as he tries to only eat sweet or really salty stuff.:(main prob is wont hardly touch fruit only likes apples and keeps snapping his brace on em!!!so fussy its beyond a joke would love to hear any tips:)
    I agree with wssla00 about flapjacks, also try Twinks hobnobs and fruit (or chocolate!) buns (Victoria sponge recipe, with cinnamon and 1/2 the sugar). I also make fat-free fruit loaf (tea-bread). I alway cook in big batches (4 loaves, 4 doz fruit buns and 100 or so hobnobs at a time :eek:) I slice the fruit loaves when cool , then bag and freeze all but one. The buns, flapjacks and hobnobs get put into tubs (I use 1kg stork marg tubs), label and freeze...with luck you should only have to bake once a week! Keep enough out to last a few days, but then you have plenty to keep him/you going to last the week (or more if you are lucky!). This is how I manage to keep DS2 reasonably satisfied (a very large, diabetic, keen rugby player), without having to bake every day! I also bake four wholemeal loaves a week too! Thank goodness for my 3 foot-wide oven!!

This could be why my food bill is rather on the large side! Mind you, it was worse when DS1 was at home all the time too!!

Good luck with filling your your son's bottomless pit! :D

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    my teenager is constantly in the cupboards looking for food /moaning we have no food ect he is very sporty but also doing gcse and college exams i would love to hear any ideas anyone has on healthy filling snacks that are quick and cheap as he tries to only eat sweet or really salty stuff.:(main prob is wont hardly touch fruit only likes apples and keeps snapping his brace on em!!!so fussy its beyond a joke would love to hear any tips:)
    Have a look at the threads I've found scooting around--I've got the links to them HERE. Hope they are of some help :o
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Evening all,

have updated signature, am a bit close for comfort and expect to go over tbh but not by much and certaily not to the extent that i havent a clue, like last month!

I thought i was helping things by sending dh to shop for little things like milk as he just gets what we need and leave, but he hasnt kept receipts :mad: (how many times do i have to tell him!) and he buys what i ask with GC cash and then picks up some crisps he likes or some lager and uses his own cash and then has no receipt so it all gets messed up. Think i'll just go myself

Went to Mr T today, for milk (good old milk eh!) and dd yoghurts, also came out with wine:o irish barm brack ?sp bread for dd which she tried off her little friend and loved and Mr T sell it, Mr T own fruit shoots, two bags of salad, soreen and bagels and probably something else! I forgot to get my receipt though but i know what i spent so sig all up to date. Oh two savings stamps for Xmas too.

Still ten days untill payday and will still need the bloomin milk, and top ups of fruit and probably veg.

Well off to chop some veg for soup, cant be bothered standing over a pan so im going to chuck it in the slow cooker overnight.

Night all x
  • lel3636
    lel3636 Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2010 at 8:54PM
    Nice tasty leftover recipe here. It's a Hugh FW called Roast Potato Rosti.

Save your leftover roasties (I also saved leftover roast parsnip) chop them finely and put them into a bowl, season, add some thyme or any herb of your choice and a beaten egg. Mix and then add some plain flour to make a stiffish mixture (I also added a little bit of baking powder). Grate in some mature cheddar or even a mixture of odds and ends of different cheeses.

If you have plenty of leftover tatoes you may need more egg. If it's a bit wet then add a bit more flour.

Take teaspoons of the mixture and roll in plain flour to make small shapes, mine tend to be like little sausages.

Bring a pan of water to a slow simmer. Drop them a few at a time into the water, stir occasionally so they don't stick to the bottom. They are done when they float to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain on kitchen paper.

Serve with a tomato sauce. Luverly :)
    Clear debts by July 2011 challenge
    Virgin
    Apr10 [STRIKE]£1853.64[/STRIKE] now £1643.64

MBNA Jul10 [STRIKE]£583.00[/STRIKE] now £389.35
    Barclaycard
    Sep10
    [STRIKE]£1481.76[/STRIKE]now £1,446.76
    TOTAL:
    [STRIKE]£4,339.56[/STRIKE]
    now £3,479.75
  • Thanks all for tips i will def bake my own stuff in large batches never really thought of making my own cakes that would fill him up more im sure it will work out cheaper i think i can be crafty here too and sneak fruit into them and it wont get noticed as much or snap his brace:rotfl:think my biggest challenge for keeping cost of grocery shop down will be finding things to keep the kids full im feeling confident now reading through this forum that i could finally have food last the whole week till nxt shop fingers crossed:D
    nothing thats meant for you passes you by ..;)
  • vodkawitch1
    vodkawitch1 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Nsd for me today, to busy working!
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
  • savvyshe
    savvyshe Posts: 96
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Goodmorning everyone,

Well I think Ive done it, not sure but just updated my signature will see if it worked in a mo. Not posted a lot this month due to hols and computer down but I have been reading and cacthing up.
    Its lovely to read all the caring and supportive messages, wouldn't it be a wonderful world if everyone was like you folks!. Its like having another family:A
    who listen and give lots of helpful advice with no judgement or discrimination, Thanks again everyone and keep up the good work.
    Been really good this month and since deciding to try to clear debts by this year have been focused. I think the aim is to keep out the shops. DH has been great and since we worked out finances we both have really tried not to go to the shops unless we desperately need to.
    Sorry to ramble will post spends,
    MR M 19.69
    Aldi 19.39
    Co-op 3.97
    Co-op 2.89
    Co-op 2.95
    MrT 0.84
    MrA 25.20
    MrT 4.47
    Lidl 12.45
    MrM 9.72
    Eggs 3.30
    TOTAL 94.87 :j:j
    On target this month so hopefully will not spend much as have a busy weekend planned, month ends 22nd April for me. I know we have been away but also had DS3 off from school and he eats like a horse!:rotfl:
    M&S 2,200.00
    Barclaycard £3840.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family