Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 13th Aug 04, 2:09 PM
    • 4,269Posts
    • 19,893Thanks
    VickyA
    Descaling a shower head?
    • 13th Aug 04, 2:09 PM
    Descaling a shower head? 13th Aug 04 at 2:09 PM
    Hi,

Does anyone know a fool proof way of descaling a shower head? We've only been in our house for 2 weeks and it's building up! The shower bit is one of those tap adaptor things, so not the most expensive of things - and I can't take it apart to clean it.

Any ideas?

Thanks ;D
Page 1
    • 13th Aug 04, 2:11 PM
    Re: Descaling a shower head?
    • 13th Aug 04, 2:11 PM
    if its plastic, soak in white vinegar for couple hours, and rinse thouroughly.
  • cathy
    • 13th Aug 04, 2:26 PM
    • 13th Aug 04, 2:26 PM
    pour some vinegar and lemon juice into a plastic bag

put the head in the bag sitting in the mixture

tie an elastic band round the top of the bag and leave it for a few hours

thatll do it

;D
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 13th Aug 04, 2:31 PM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 19,893 Thanks
    VickyA
    • 13th Aug 04, 2:31 PM
    • 13th Aug 04, 2:31 PM
    Thanks alot both of you. Will put it in to soak when I go to the pub tonight! ;D ;D ;D
    • pennymakespounds
    • By pennymakespounds 13th Aug 04, 3:36 PM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    pennymakespounds
    • 13th Aug 04, 3:36 PM
    • 13th Aug 04, 3:36 PM
    cathy... when you often refer to "vinegar" to clean things ... what sort ?? ..

you sometines say "white vinegar" ... is this distilled vinegar ??? .. a la sarsons or tesco brand etc.

Sometimes i think you say "wine vinegar" ??

I'm confused .. help please !!
  • Lillibet
    • 13th Aug 04, 4:28 PM
    • 13th Aug 04, 4:28 PM
    Pennymakespounds

I use distilled vinegar, before I cottoned on to buying it in 5 gallon cartons from the cash & carry I used to use Sarsons distilled but it was very expensive. In an emergency I have used malt vinegar but the smell did not seem to evaporate nearly as much as distilled when it dried.

Hope this helps
  • cathy
    • 13th Aug 04, 9:44 PM
    • 13th Aug 04, 9:44 PM
    white vinegar and distilled vinegar is the same thing

dont get the one that says !non brewed condiment

cos thats not vinegar

the only time !I use brown vinegar is for the weeds and the drains

Sometimes i think you say "wine vinegar" ??

I dont recall ever saying wine vinegar if I did it must have been a typo

• sonia1963
    • 30th Aug 04, 3:46 AM
    • 30th Aug 04, 3:46 AM
    My shower head is attached to the wall and is metal with the part the water comes through being plastic. What's the best way to descale this?

Thanks in advance
  • cathy
    • 30th Aug 04, 9:33 PM
    • 30th Aug 04, 9:33 PM
    lemon juice and vinegar in a plastic bag. tie it round shower head with garden tie or lazzy band and leave to soak for a couple of hours

;D ;D
  • sonia1963
    Cathy, you are a star ;D
  • cathy

shucks
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 1st Sep 04, 10:19 PM
    • 5,214 Posts
    • 34,680 Thanks
    Caterina
    I soooo wish I had read this thread before this morning, as I kept meaning to descale my shower head (London water, extra-hard!).

Instead I ignored it and this morning when my husband went in the shower, the hose exploded because of too much pressure and he got scalded (and the shower head is now broken and has to be replaced GRRRRRRR).

So, people, take heed! Descale your shower head!

Caterina
  • cathy
    oooh nasty that, is he ok??

occasionally when we lived in London, we would put a couple of bags of washing soda in the water tank in the loft (hot water) and let it sit there overnight then let it run through the system, it really kept the limescale down, I used to do all my washing with that water on a saturday or sunday morning, the old fart would swap the washing maching hoses over so the machine filled with hot water then put them back, id do all thecurtains and bedding and towels etc then our clothes and by that time the washing soda had gone and we could get baths etc

lot of messing but only about 4 times a year

use washing soda in the washer as well as it stops the pipes furring up.

• Caterina
    • By Caterina 2nd Sep 04, 3:22 PM
    • 5,214 Posts
    • 34,680 Thanks
    Caterina
    Thank you for your concern Cathy, he is ok, just a (small) nasty red mark on his arm due to the steam coming out of the tube as it burst.

We don't have a tank, we are on the mains only, so we cannot do the trick you described.

How do I put washing soda in the machine? With the soap (we use the Faith in Nature liquid thingy - bought in bulk of course hehe) or in the conditioner space (we don't use any conditioner, find it a waste of time and money and we like our towels ROUGH!!). Can this be done to the dishwasher as well?

Thanks again

Caterina
  • cathy
    just put it in the drawer follow the instructions on the bag

and only use a quarter of your usuall amount of soap powder cos it softens the water and the suds are much more than usual

yes you can put it in the dishwasher just put a tablespoon full in the bottom of the dishwasher and use as normal, dont forget to quarter the amount of powder again

• cathy
    use white vinegar as a softner caterina its great and keeps the machine clean as well

just use what you would use if it were softner

• Caterina
    • By Caterina 2nd Sep 04, 8:55 PM
    • 5,214 Posts
    • 34,680 Thanks
    Caterina
    Thank you Cathy, for your great advice as always!

Caterina
  • Brutus_Beefcake
    lemon juice and vinegar in a plastic bag. tie it round shower head with garden tie or lazzy band and leave to soak for a couple of hours

;D ;D
    by cathy
    Excellent tip. I used a sandwich bag and some out of date white wine vinegar and a bit of lemon juice and after 2 hours soaking the plastic shower head it is now spotless.
    I have spent ages trying to scrub of the black soap scum marks and nothing would shift them until now.
    • Lemon Tree
    • By Lemon Tree 12th Jan 07, 3:08 PM
    • 9,407 Posts
    • 30,935 Thanks
    Lemon Tree
    Descaling
    Hi
    It's been ages since i've posted and i've had a quick check but couldn't see anything relating to my query.

Is there an Old style way of descaling a shower head rather than just buying a bottle of descaler?

I'm sure there's somebody on here that know's this at the drop of a hat.

Thanks in advance

LT
  • lizzyb1812
    There's a post about this in the Collections section - Cleaning - Vinegar - Kettles and Showers

And the answer is.......vinegar

lizzyb
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

293Posts Today

1,372Users online

Martin's Twitter