Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Freezing yoghurt and fromage frais? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Freezing yoghurt and fromage frais?
Views: 40,206
# 1
nabowla
Old 05-01-2005, 2:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Freezing yoghurt and fromage frais?

OK, silly question time. I know that it's possible to freeze milk, but is it possible to freeze and then defrost yoghurt?

Sainsbury's have a special offer on Muller Light yoghurts at the moment: buy a pack of six and get a second pack free. I'm tempted to buy some & freeze them as they're my favourites but a bit expensive for my budget. What do you think - is it worth a risk?
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to nabowla For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
little_lil
Old 05-01-2005, 3:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Re: Freezing yoghurt?

I think you can freeze this because when I was a member of slimming world one of our favourites was to freeze a toffee muller light with low fat fromage frais and a small packet of crushed maltesers. Yum Yum and (almost ) fat free ;D ;D

Also I freeze those tubes of yoghurt for kids and they help keep the lunchbox cool in summer and then can be eaten when defrosted.

So i think the (rather longwinded : ) answer is yes!
The Following User Says Thank You to little_lil For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Tina D
Old 06-01-2006, 1:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default freezing yoghurt

Hi everyone,
just sorting the fridge out and have found some natural yoghurt that goes out of date on the 10/1. Can I freeze this as I wont be needing it til 14/1? The obvious thing would be to shuffle menu about to use it earlier but have tried this and wont work i'm afraid.
Thanks
Tina
The Following User Says Thank You to Tina D For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
squeaky
Old 06-01-2006, 1:58 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

Hiya

We have an older thread on freezing youghurt, so I've added your question to it. Since posts are listed in date order you'll need to read from the beginning to catch up with us all
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
comping cat
Old 06-01-2006, 3:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to comping cat

When i was in Canada ( a holiday many years ago!!!) i remember having frozen yoghurt as a desert, and it was lovely!!! so im sure that there is no problem freezing yoghurt, as long as its eaten soon after defrosting.
The Following User Says Thank You to comping cat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
krishna
Old 08-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina D
Hi everyone,
just sorting the fridge out and have found some natural yoghurt that goes out of date on the 10/1. Can I freeze this as I wont be needing it til 14/1? The obvious thing would be to shuffle menu about to use it earlier but have tried this and wont work i'm afraid.
Thanks
Tina
The whole point of yogurt is that active bacteria flourish and result in thickening and souring of the milk. You don't need to freeze the yogurt it will be fine anyway! Freezing yogurt alters the texture of the yogurt. This is fine if you just want to preserve some culture to make your own at a later date (e.g. if going away on holiday), but really not advisable if you want to use it as yogurt.

Frozen yogurt is a bit different and normally eaten frozen as an ice cream substitute.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krishna For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
SillyHilly
Old 09-01-2006, 8:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I tried freezing mullerlight apple pie flavour and it separated when I defrosted it.
The Following User Says Thank You to SillyHilly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Rhyburgh
Old 13-01-2006, 8:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Blimey this site has everything!! I was wondering this question myself. My daughters have become addicted to smoothies from a new shop which has opened in Norwich (Gourmet Joes) and they use frozen yoghurt in their drinks. So much so I have had to buy a magic bullet and I was wondering if I could freeze yoghurt (in lots of flavours to suit all tastes - rather than have to buy the expensive ready frozen stuff). As I will put it in the blender still frozen (instead of ice) I am hoping that is going to be OK as it won't have time to split. Will let you know how I get on!
Heard the Shaggy Taxi Wind Up Phone Call?
Visit my Shaggy videos on Youtube - search for Rhyburgh1 - now over 700,00 views - bring on the million!! Enjoy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhyburgh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
jackiegibbo
Old 07-03-2006, 2:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default yoghurt

can anyone tell me if its alright to freeze yoghurt and fromage frais as my daughter goes through loads and id like to get them in my internet tesco shop,thank you
# 10
squeaky
Old 07-03-2006, 2:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

Hiya

An older thread seems to be of divided opinions here on yoghurt, but I've added your question to it in the hopes that it will be of some help.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen someone post that fromage frais freezes OK - but I might be corrected

Posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read this thread from the beginning to catch up.

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
The Following User Says Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Yoga Girl
Old 07-03-2006, 8:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

In the summer I have successfully frozen little tubs of yoghurt and the children have had them as a yoghurt lolly - pop a lolly stick in them before putting in the freezer.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yoga Girl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
cattie
Old 08-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I've often frozen yoghurt when they've been on special offer in the shops & I find if you thaw them out within 2 or 3 weeks of freezing, they seem to be ok. But leave them any longer & they separate & thin a little bit, but taste fine.
The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cattie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
nicki
Old 25-09-2006, 1:21 PM

Default Freezing Yoghurts for Lunch Boxes

A friend asked me this morning whether it would be okay for her to freeze yoghurts to put in her sons packed lunch box as he wouldn't eat one last week as it had gone warm and tasted horrible apparently:rolleyes: I said I'd ask on here as you're all a wonderful source of info. So, any ideas? I'm wondering about the defrosting time for them as well on account of them being defrosted in time for lunch at 12.15 ?:confused:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
PONDSAVER
Old 25-09-2006, 1:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I freeze frubes the long tubes of yoghurt (only bought when on offer or reduced) and they keep the sarnies and other bits cool whilst they are defrosting. It suggests freezing them on the packet so I see no reason why not with other yoghurts and if it is still a bit frozen then it will be more like a sorbe.
Lightbulb moment 10-06-06
Total debt 36,996.70 June 2006
Total debt approx 33,000 Oct 2006
Jan 07....to be worked out but may have gone up GULP:confused:
DFD March 2011
DFW Nerd 111

19 jan 23 feb 5 weeks - grocery challenge 250
The Following User Says Thank You to PONDSAVER For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
tiff
Old 25-09-2006, 3:56 PM

AT slimming world we freeze low fat yoghurts as an alternative to ice cream. I use muller lights.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tiff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
tawnyowls
Old 25-09-2006, 4:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Should be no problem - you can buy whipped frozen yogurt in cones as an alternative to icecream, thus normal yogurt should be freezable. Two caveats: (1) because of expansion, the tub might split, thus it would be sensible to put the carton into a small plastic tub in case of spillage and (2), it'll probably separate, so mum should warn kid about that and tell him to mix it thorougly before eating.
The Following User Says Thank You to tawnyowls For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
nicki
Old 25-09-2006, 7:18 PM

Okay, she told me tonight that she actually means Fromage Frais :rolleyes: Will this still be okay ?
# 18
mrsb
Old 25-09-2006, 7:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki
Okay, she told me tonight that she actually means Fromage Frais :rolleyes: Will this still be okay ?
Yes definately, we freeze them in the summer with a spoon pushed through the lid, then take it out and you have a fromage frais lolly
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
ethansmum
Old 08-12-2006, 5:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Can I freeze fromage frais?

My baby has decided that he no longer wants petits filous for his breakfast, so I'm left with 24 pots to use by 16 Dec! So can I freeze them like they do those ones in the tubes? I thought that may be nice as a change from ice cream.

Thanks again for all your help.
Tracy
The Following User Says Thank You to ethansmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
in-trouble
Old 08-12-2006, 5:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

doesnt say on the cartons just checked, and other yoghurts that we have in the fridge, i am forever binning yoghurts sometimes i think what is the point in buying them
The Following User Says Thank You to in-trouble For This Useful Post: Show me >>