Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Money Saving recipes for Slimming World (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Money Saving recipes for Slimming World
Views: 95,612
# 1
jellycat40
Old 15-01-2006, 8:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile Money Saving recipes for Slimming World

Can anyone give me some ideas I have lost 2 stone on Green Days with slimming World but it has been quite costly with the amount of fruit and quorn that I have been eating. Can anyone who knows what I am talking about advise cheap meals?

Louise
Nobody is perfect - not even me.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jellycat40 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
joannasmum
Old 15-01-2006, 9:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi I'm 5 stone down with another 4 to go :confused: . I find green days much easier moneysaving wise. Egg fried rice is a favorite store cupboard meal for us.

Boil rice and then spread out on a tray and leave to dry.
Spray wok with fry light and add a tiny bit of ginger and garlic (I sometimes use lazy ginger in the jar)
Chuck in any suitable stir frying veg you've got lying around
Whip up a couple of eggs and sling them in and cook until nearly solid.
Add the rice and heat through make sure its hot to avoid bugs.
Add soy sauce to taste.

Another is eggs fried in a non stick pan with slimming world chips. Nice and easy and total yummy but you have to save your Healthy Extras to have bread to make a butty!

Tomato sauce with pasta or rice is another great one. I make up a massive batch of Tomato sauce in the slow cooker using tinned toms, peppers, onions and garlic. Freeze it down into portions and when I defrost I either add herbs to make it Italian, chilli powder or curry powder depending how I feel if I'm making chilli or curry I normally add root veg such as carrots swede and sometime potatoes just depends what I have in.

Will proberbly think of more and will get back to you

HTH
Sorting my life out one day at a time
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to joannasmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Miss Moneybags
Old 16-01-2006, 12:23 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi

I've been on and off the Slimming World plan for some time now, the first time I lost 2 stone and then had a crisis and almost put it all back. Before Xmas lost almost that amount again and tried to be good over that period but it wasn't easy.

Anyway I find having lots of pasta (I buy mine from Lidl when I can as it is normally half the price of the other shops) and cook it with frozen mixed veg which is cheap. Baked spuds are great too, filling but not pricey. Do you have a market near you? Normally fruit and veg is cheaper from them and also from farm shops if you are near enough. Eggs are cheap, can be made into lovely omlettes and scrambled eggs. One of the best meals is veg curry made with red lentils and mixed veg and served with rice. Slimming and cheap plus it can be frozen.

Hope this may help abit, good luck with the slimming and the saving!
Miss Moneybags
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Miss Moneybags For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
FrankieM
Old 16-01-2006, 1:14 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Interestingly I was just thinking of starting the plan again tomorrow and wondering if I could manage it on the tight food budget we are living on at the moment.

I've generally used my Healthy extras for cereal and a meat portion at night and then had jacket spuds or omolettes etc for lunch...that egg fried rice sounds lovely, also tesco value savoury rice and value noodles. I guess it depends if you prefer a sandwich at lunch....

Then at night I can eat just as I would have normally but making sure the meat portions are right for the amount of people ( if you know what I mean).

So chilli, bolognaise,beefy mince ( minced beef, onions, mushrooms,measured out gravy powder, water to get to the right consistancy and some soya sauce) cottage pie but don't put butter in the mash or just do the base and serve with jacket potato.

bacon, onions, tinned tomatoes and basil served with pasta/spaghetti.
bacon in rice with onions, peppers , mushrooms, some thai spice and soya sauce.

I think you could probably make most dishes Slimming World friendly by doing that.

Of course if your a vegie you could just not use quorn but bulk out with extra veg....
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FrankieM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
SillyHilly
Old 16-01-2006, 5:01 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for starting this thread. I lost nearly five stone on Slimming World but am starting to put it back on because I am trying to save money.

Green days leave me hungry I find. I wish they would bring out a budget cookbook.

Does anyone find out the nearer the target they are the less likely the free food principle i.e. eating as much as you want of certain foods dosen't seem to work any more?

I have noticed with weightwatchers - (i joined for a week didn't like the lady ) - the lower your weight goes the less points you are allowed. Its just how to adapt this to slimming world with some degree of accuracy.

Hilary
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SillyHilly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
jellycat40
Old 16-01-2006, 8:01 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks to all of you for your inspiration.
I think that the nearer you are to your goal the less syns you have Hilly. When you are nearly there then you cut down to 5. Apparently you should never have to cut your portions. I suppose another thing you could try is to increase your activity a bit. Also try speed foods such as petit pois, strawberrys (half price in most supermarkets at the mo), white fish and shellfish and quorn.

I hated weightwatchers as I was soooooo reluctant to give up my points to lose the weight!!!!!

I am going to try making tom sauce in sc and putting lentils in my veg curry.
I have to say that I never go hungry sometimes peckish but never hungry!

Keep the ideas coming if you can.

Louise
Nobody is perfect - not even me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jellycat40 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
honey28
Old 16-01-2006, 1:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

What about good old soup - I make a large pot of lentil with loads of carrot and potato in it, you can eat what you like and freeze some if you wish.
Cheep and Chearful!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to honey28 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
narabanekeater
Old 16-01-2006, 3:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi
Having lost over a stone on WW and now put it all on again id love to give slimming world a go.
Can nayone please explain the principles to me. I cannot go to the meetings as id find it very uncofrtable. Do they have a website? Any tip from anyone and soemone mentiioned Tescos value noodles. These I eat daily when im at work so can I continue with this
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to narabanekeater For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
FunkyFairy
Old 16-01-2006, 3:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

http://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/

My family has had a lot of success with this.

I need to loose 3 stone by may

Any ideas anyone???
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FunkyFairy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
FunkyFairy
Old 16-01-2006, 3:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

http://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/healt...rial_menu.aspx

Explains about green and red days and gives you sample menus
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FunkyFairy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
calleyw
Old 16-01-2006, 3:59 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyFairy
http://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/

My family has had a lot of success with this.

I need to loose 3 stone by may

Any ideas anyone???
I lost just over 2 stone in just over 2 months. I rode 5 miles a day on my bike. Had 3 meals a day no snacks and one treat a week.

And I did it. Needed to as I was getting married and needed to get in to my dress other wise it would have been bin liners on the day. Blue peter style.

Just eat normal food no special diet food.

Sorry can't help much more than that.

Yours

Calley
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to calleyw For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Burlesque Babe
Old 16-01-2006, 5:32 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

hi - I did SW from Sep 04 to Sep05 and lost 4 stone (still had another 5 to go though), but my metabolism just stopped and I lost heart etc etc etc and have put on 2 of the stone I lost

Anyway, I re-started (on my own rather than going to class, it was a waste of money to be honest) and have lost 5 pounds since 2 Jan. I aim to have my first stone back off by Valentines day (off to Amsterdam for a few days) then another 1.5 stone by mid May (week in Spain!)

anyway....I love Green days , although I lose weight a lot more slowly

but, here is some of what I cook

Lunch

jacket potato with beans (Free)
quorn sausages (frozen ones are 50p a box cheaper in Tesco) with beans or mushy peas (Free)
Batchelors Chicken n Mushroom pasta (make all with water) (Free)
Batchelors Chicken rice (Free)
Soup made with lots of free veggies, with a can of tomatoes, blitzed (free)
Cheese and potato omelette (free, use A choices for cheese)
Courgette/pepper/onion omelette (free)
Egg fried rice - cooked boiled rice, tin of peas, egg, soy sauce. spray of Frylight inthe pan (free)
Cous cous with various additions - spring onions, coriander, chick peas, peppers, chilli, lemon juice, fresh tomatoes -whatever you fancy! (free)

Dinner

Chicken with pasta with a veggy tomato sauce (onion, courgette, pepper, grated carrot to bulk, mushroom, tin of tomatoes, pasta, 4oz chicken) (free/chicken is 1x B choice)

Pork mince chilli with rice (pork mince, tomatoes, onion, peppers, grated carrot, kidney beans, baked beans chilli powder) (free, 4 oz pork mince 1x B choice)

Roast pork, mashed potatoes, peas veggies gravy (Slow cooked shoulder of pork, mash made with very low fat yoghurt and an egg yolk, peas, veggies, gravy) (free/ 4 oz pork= 1x B choice/gravy made with granules 4 tbsp 1Syn)

Quorn Cottage Pie (Mash made as above, Quorn mince, stock cube, bulk with onions, peas, carrots) (free)

I could go on all night (veggie lasagne anyone !!) but Iwon't bore you anymore!!!!!!

hope this helps a bit - budget wise, I use all Tesco Value where possible (kidney beans, tomatoes baked beans etc), I use cheaper cuts of meat and slow cooker them and I buy bags of frozen onions and peppers, they seem to go further for the price (bag of frozen peppers is approx 55p - the cost of one fresh one!!!)
"Stay Wonky"

Become Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012

Last edited by Burlesque Babe; 16-01-2006 at 5:38 PM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Burlesque Babe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Burlesque Babe
Old 16-01-2006, 5:37 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

ooh, ooh, forgot a good one - Veggie curry

Rice, onions, peppers, chick peas, peas, boiled potatoes,tin of tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, curry powder, butternut squash (cube and roast first) boiled eggs - all free!!!

Soften onions and peppers in Frylight, add rice, curry powder, water, tin of tomatoes, then all the veggies, cook until rice just about softenened then carefully add boiled eggs to the mixture and cook for five more minutes - you can make it as wet or dry as your tastes are!! Stir in some very low fat yoghurt at the end and add some chopped coriander if you have some!!!

Luvverly!!
"Stay Wonky"

Become Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Burlesque Babe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Penny-Pincher!!
Old 16-01-2006, 6:07 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

When I did SW before (3years ago and pre money saver), I prefered green days and my fav was:

Veg Curry (tinned but could make HM easily)
Spicy Rice (ready made but again easily make HM)
Bombay Potatoes (tinned but easilt make HM)

All these were free on the green days, so could add a little chicken or meat to the curry for protein.

On a red day, it was mainly cooked breakies all day and steak etc with salad.

Used to fill up on veg and salad if hungry and made veggie soup to keep in the fridge and normally had a bowl before each meal to fill me up abit.

PP
xx
To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
requires brains!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Penny-Pincher!! For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
summerday
Old 16-01-2006, 6:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

All the above a great sugestions.

Tonight I am making veg pasta bake-
spray a baking tray with fry light, chop up red and yellow peppers and courgette (and onion if you like but I can't bear it!), lay them on the baking tray and spray fry light on top. Bake in oven gas mark 6 till tender. Boil some pasta up, when cooked mix some low fat fromage frais with it. When the veg are done, mix some passata or tinned tomatoes in and some herbs. Add the creamy pasta on top and bake for 20 mins.

Cheese potato pie-
Boil some potatoes, then add milk from healthy A allowance, and laughing cow light triangles from healthy A allowance. Mash together till creamy. Transfer to ovenproof style dish, top with grated cheese (use healthy B or syns), add seasoning. Put under grill till cheese melts. Serve with baked beans or tinned tomatoes.

Quorn bolognese-
this has been mentioned already but I make a big batch in my slow cooker, put the whole packet in with a big jar of passata (Morrisons do a value range one large size), add lots of veg to pad it out. Serve with spaghetti.

Re the person who said it's harder to lose weight on green days when nearing target- what I will say (as a sw consultant) is that it's important to eat a wide variety of free foods, and if you're having rice or pasta as a meal include plenty of veg on the plate and not just the rice or pasta. I do find that members who do the former tend to lose more weight.

In my group we swap suggestions on which products are cheap/on offer at which supermarkets which helps. Remember too that frozen and tinned veg are often cheaper than fresh and there's less waste, so this is an option to keep veg cost down.

Sarah.x
Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to summerday For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
ymcas
Old 16-01-2006, 8:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieM
Interestingly I was just thinking of starting the plan again tomorrow and wondering if I could manage it on the tight food budget we are living on at the moment.

I've generally used my Healthy extras for cereal and a meat portion at night and then had jacket spuds or omolettes etc for lunch...that egg fried rice sounds lovely, also tesco value savoury rice and value noodles. I guess it depends if you prefer a sandwich at lunch....

Then at night I can eat just as I would have normally but making sure the meat portions are right for the amount of people ( if you know what I mean).

So chilli, bolognaise,beefy mince ( minced beef, onions, mushrooms,measured out gravy powder, water to get to the right consistancy and some soya sauce) cottage pie but don't put butter in the mash or just do the base and serve with jacket potato.

bacon, onions, tinned tomatoes and basil served with pasta/spaghetti.
bacon in rice with onions, peppers , mushrooms, some thai spice and soya sauce.

I think you could probably make most dishes Slimming World friendly by doing that.

Of course if your a vegie you could just not use quorn but bulk out with extra veg....

Be carefull, don't think value noodles are free anymore... only low fat ones!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ymcas For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
franney
Old 16-01-2006, 10:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

OH YAY!
I lost over 3 stone with SW three years ago, then became lazy and put it all back on again and i have just started it back up myself, not going to go to meetings this time as the lady who used to do it has left and apparantly the new one isn't very nice
Annnnnnnnnyway! I'd like to say thanks to everyone for the recipe suggestions so far and if you bear with me i will go and find some recipes to share too

There's a thread in Discussion Time HERE for those who are detoxing/losing weight in an OS way, it'd be great to see you all over there if you haven't already found it
The Following User Says Thank You to franney For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
franney
Old 16-01-2006, 10:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default leek and butterbean soup

2 leeks
1pt stock
tin of butterbeans

soften leeks in a little frylight, add stock and butterbeans and simmer for ten minutes then blend
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to franney For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
franney
Old 16-01-2006, 10:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Ratatouille pasta melt

Serves 4
Sins per serving on a green day 6 (if you count the mozarella as a HE then deduct 6 sins per serving)

1 onion
1 red pepper
¼pint/142ml chicken stock made with bovril (is that still free?)
1 aubergine
1 courgette
2 tins tomatoes chopped
1tsp dried mixed herbs
salt and pepper to taste
1lb/454g pasta
6oz mozarella, grated (sorry can't read the metric equivalent)

1. Peel and chop the onion, deseed and chop the pepper. Place in apan with the stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes

2. Trim and slice the aubergine and the courgette, add to the pan with the tomatoes, herbs and seasoning, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes

3. Stir in the boiled pasta and 4oz mozarella cheese. Pile into a shallow ovenproof dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Place under a preheated hot grill for 3-4 minutes until the cheese has melted.

Serve sprinkled with black pepper

This recipe was given to me at a SW meeting, i am not sure if it's a members own recipe or if it's one from a book in which case i apologise if i have breached someone's copyright
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to franney For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Rebob
Old 16-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

TVP (dried soya mince) is very cheap and can be used in bolognese etc and is a free food. Also available are soya chunks. Both are available in Holland and Barratts. Just add some water/stock to a small amount and it swells.
The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rebob For This Useful Post: Show me >>