Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 12:44 PM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 12:44 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 115
  • mummygems
    DeniseF Could I please have the recipe for the mince and onion pie you are making your DH? I cant stand the shop bought ones and DH loves his pie.

Thank you.

P.S. I am a fellow Basildon person
  • annelouise
    moniker I find my milk goes off too if I dilute it,thought it was just me.

Will try the cooled boiled trick and report back.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • Flylady_Flower
    Denise sorry to hear you are having a crap day, I know exactly what you mean with DH, as mine is still only doing weekly work. So dont worry you are not moaning thats what we are all hear for. Dink1
    Originally posted by dink1
    Thank you honey, that's really nice.

Don't like to moan but sometimes you just need to get it out... hey ho, Good thing is he has another job in the pipeline, but not starting till about September and it will be working away again too. Hopefully not for too long but should help us get stuff paid off and get us back on track, then hopefully my business working well by then and he can go back to regular, local type work again... fingers crossed
    LBM April 2013 - 29,286.08 - aim to pay off in 2 years!
    Vanquis CC's 5,823.75 - Debenhams SC 113.06 - A+L OD 800 - Asda CC 884.79
    Barclaycard CC's 2,204.11 - BoS CC 7,274.97 - F/D CC 631.64 - Freemans Cat 2,573
    F/D Loan 4,213.05 - Santander Loan 2,605.81 - Mum Loan 1,000
    RBS OD 1000 - F/D OD 1000
  • Moniker
    ... Moniker I found if you use cooled boiled water from the kettle to dilute milk it solves the problem of going off too quickly..
    Originally posted by russetred

Thanks for the tip - I will try that and see if it makes any difference. See, I knew someone would know the answer - what lovely helpful people you all are!

Off to take MIL to the shops - will catch up and update sig when I get back.

Have a good afternoon everyone.

Moniker
  • jackk
    Heres one for you Kaat_Lady

Good to see you back Mrs M .

I have flowers on my tomato plants at last.

Jackie x
  • KAAT_LADY
    I wish I could post these lovely "blingy" things like you

By the way, I've just noticed where you live. Isn't that where Puff the Magic Dragon lives?
    Originally posted by Justamum

hi there justamum I dont think Puff the Dragon is a neighbour but I may have missed him as I was looking around

this is one of my neighbours but it definately isnt a dragon,, hes a bit noisy sometimes
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• KAAT_LADY
    Heres one for you Kaat_Lady

Good to see you back Mrs M .

I have flowers on my tomato plants at last.

Jackie x
    Originally posted by jackk

I love this one Thanks
    berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• Flylady_Flower
    DeniseF Could I please have the recipe for the mince and onion pie you are making your DH? I cant stand the shop bought ones and DH loves his pie.

Thank you.

P.S. I am a fellow Basildon person
    Originally posted by mummygems
    Hiya mummygems, we'll have to meet up for a coffee or summit... I know, see you in Asda for some woopsies

The mince & onion pie is going to be just bits & pieces of whatever I can find in the fridge/freezer really, but this is what I've got so far (sorry, no measurements as it literally will be whatever fills the pot)

Onion - diced
    Carrots - chopped into small pieces
    Swede - chopped into small pieces (adds a lovely flavour)

par-boil above ingredients, then add

Oats to bulk
    Mince (allready cooked and refrozen after freezer defrosted, so won't recook until now, but would normally cook while parboiling veg)
    gravy - not too much, just enough to mix to a nice consistency

Then put everything into a big pyrex dish, cover with jus-roll puff pastry (was a woopsie) - I only put it on the top, I don't line the dish with pastry - and cook for about 25 mins on Gas 5 (not sure on electric).

I might add some other bits of veg, got to check exactly what I've got, but I will dish up our dinner tonight then freeze remainder for another time - should get about 6-8 servings out of it.

Hope that helps, I'm afraid I'm a bit of a "see what's there, bung it in and see what comes out" kinda cook

Kaat_Lady - Brilliant reply - keep it up girl...
    Barclaycard CC's 2,204.11 - BoS CC 7,274.97 - F/D CC 631.64 - Freemans Cat 2,573
  • OrkneyStar
    Wow, as the title says
    Every time I go in a shop I see things lol, so the new plan is, instead of going every few days for a few bits, I will go once every fortnight for as much as I can! Today I did exactly that, and with this being the last July shop (famous words but it has to be this time!) this means I have gone over by approx £11. I could not get Cravendale in Tesco but got it in a local shop- enough milk to do us 2 weeks plus some local milk for the next few days (although why is our Tesco getting milk in with only a day to go? The 1L and 2L was use by 19/8 but the 500mls were use by 22/7 so I got 3x 500 ml ones as its the same per L as the 1L ones and the 2L work out only slightly cheaper per L, or not at all if it has a short date! Ok rant over there lol). I too got more of the 7p McDougalls mix that someone mentioned (I think I mentioned it a few posts back too). Been scouring the lower shelves- found the value chocolate (23p) that you all mentioned, some 100's and 1000's for 13p, Value Cod portions (saw the value white fish but not so keen on Pollok) for £2.72. Also got more flour, baking stuff, loads of juice on special/BOGOF etc. Also used my £5 off coupon so with this/offers/other coupons I got £57.05 worth of stuff for £42.56.
    I am quite happy with all this, yes its over budget but tbh I was expecting to go further over with the new Tesco lol
    Although the month is still not finished I have lots to do, packing, organising, clearing out, baking etc so don't plan to go near the shops. Any trips out will be to the park with DS or maybe a lunch out (from a separate budget) with DS.
    Bye for now. 12 NSD's in a row (so that makes a NSW too really) planned so wish me luck. :confused:
    PS SJPink you could repot your basil in a bigger pot with more soil and it might well come back to life- mine did. I googled pesto recently and there were loads of recipes.
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 18-07-2008 at 2:10 PM.
  • KAAT_LADY
    WOW!!!

I have just mixed up the yoghurt cake and

do you remember when your mum used to give you the spoon to lick ,,its like that ,,,golly, gosh it tastes bl****y nice and its not even made yet

will keep you posted
    berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• mandy_moo_1
    just grabbing a cuppa before i brave the weather with the dogs....had my coat on twice now, only to have the heavens open as soon as we got up the garden path i'm willing the rain clouds to blow over and leave us alone!!

SAV3R keep your chin up sweetheart, we all have down days, but things can only get better (((hugs)))

IfOnlyItWasEasier hope you're feeling better soon....at least you're not spending money when you're poorly!!

Denise hope things pick up for your OH soon.it must be awful going to work when he hates the job so much

well, i can't believe how well i've done this week...i've still got over 30 in my purse to last me to Sunday so if i'm really really good i shouldn't need to spend much more, and it can go towards getting the flippin fridge fixed :rolleyes:

right am gonna try and brave the weather again.................. if you see a drowned woman with 3 soaking wet dogs, that'll be me!!!

• mummygems
    Hiya mummygems, we'll have to meet up for a coffee or summit... I know, see you in Asda for some woopsies

The mince & onion pie is going to be just bits & pieces of whatever I can find in the fridge/freezer really, but this is what I've got so far (sorry, no measurements as it literally will be whatever fills the pot)

Onion - diced
    Carrots - chopped into small pieces
    Swede - chopped into small pieces (adds a lovely flavour)

par-boil above ingredients, then add

Oats to bulk
    Mince (allready cooked and refrozen after freezer defrosted, so won't recook until now, but would normally cook while parboiling veg)
    gravy - not too much, just enough to mix to a nice consistency

Then put everything into a big pyrex dish, cover with jus-roll puff pastry (was a woopsie) - I only put it on the top, I don't line the dish with pastry - and cook for about 25 mins on Gas 5 (not sure on electric).

I might add some other bits of veg, got to check exactly what I've got, but I will dish up our dinner tonight then freeze remainder for another time - should get about 6-8 servings out of it.

Hope that helps, I'm afraid I'm a bit of a "see what's there, bung it in and see what comes out" kinda cook
    Originally posted by denisefowler
    I never find any whoopsies in any of the Asda or Tesco's no matter what time I go (and if there is anything at the A127 Tesco then I usually get pushed around or tutted at as I have a trolly with my two little ones in tow!!).

Thank you for the recipe. I can easily follow it even without the measurement and its easier that way so I can add different things for him and then half for me (he is a fussy so and so). I shall add the recipe to my meal plan and try it next week.

Hope your DH's job situation sorts itself out, I used to work for a local house building company and know that with all the construction industry being up in the air its a nightmare for all the workforce.
  • KAAT_LADY
    afternoon folks

DH would like to know if anyone has a recipe for WONDERBITES

his moms cousin in Northern Ireland use to make them with :-

coconut,, the same as in a bounty bar
    chopped cherries
    all mixed together and rolled in melted chocolate

and he hasn't had one since 1969 and can still taste them
    berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• OrkneyStar
    PS Re the 7p mix for puff pastry- I used it last night. It felt a bit sticky using the amount of water they suggested but it cooked lovely- had it with my slow cooker stew. The stew was so nice we decided to ditch the curry idea and have it as stew again tonight, with tatties, beans and maybe some dumplings if I get round to making them. The 8p value jelly is currently setting- I had to take two to the till as DS had eaten into one on the way round and the bar code and all other labelling had rubbed off, onto his lovely clean bib lol
    Anyone got a lemon chicken recipe they'd be kind enough to post for me ?
    Thanks a lot.
  • Flylady_Flower
    I never find any whoopsies in any of the Asda or Tesco's no matter what time I go (and if there is anything at the A127 Tesco then I usually get pushed around or tutted at as I have a trolly with my two little ones in tow!!).

Thank you for the recipe. I can easily follow it even without the measurement and its easier that way so I can add different things for him and then half for me (he is a fussy so and so). I shall add the recipe to my meal plan and try it next week.

Hope your DH's job situation sorts itself out, I used to work for a local house building company and know that with all the construction industry being up in the air its a nightmare for all the workforce.
    Originally posted by mummygems
    Thanks for your kind words. He's a bit miserable at the mo but now the weekends here, he'll cheer up as we have a 'beer budget' (I couldn't live with him if we didn't.... )

I know what you mean about the woopsies - very rarely get any - it's like a mad hunt in Asda when they put them out - everyone just starts pushing - god knows what it would be like if I had 2 little'uns with me - I shop at Pitsea Tesco and get a few bits now and again, but nearly always all gone by the time I get there - got some pork for Sunday today (about 1/3rd off) some raisin loaf for 15p and 2 choc croissants for 15p, which was nice...

Just going to update siggy now...

EDIT: OOOOH, NEARLY FORGOT - Utterly butterly original and omega 3 on 2 for £1.50 at the moment in Mr T's - and 3 x hovis soft white 3 for £2.50 (83p each - still expensive, but better than £1.24 EACH!)
    Last edited by Flylady_Flower; 18-07-2008 at 3:13 PM.
  • jackiegibbo
    Just popped in to update my sig.Spent 33.71 in asdas last night,the fridge was very bare so i had to fill it!!!

Good luck everyone
  • KAAT_LADY
    WOW!!!

I have just mixed up the yoghurt cake and

do you remember when your mum used to give you the spoon to lick ,,its like that ,,,golly, gosh it tastes bl****y nice and its not even made yet

will keep you posted
    Originally posted by KAAT_LADY

While I was wiling away the hours on here my yoghurt cake nearly burnt,, it has a crisp outer layer but by god it tastes very nice,,, it was a strawberry yoghurt we had in the fridge,,, thing is I have an apple and kiwi yoghurt still in the fridge so will have to wait and see

see ya
    berthas buddies No 5
    .,night owl 25

• Flylady_Flower
    EEEEEKKKKK! I have 21p to last me to the end of next week!!! Not going to happen as still have bits on my list to get - out of bleach and beans - mainstays in our house with kids & dogs! , still, I know it won't be way over so just need to keep it as tight as possible.
  • zoe260373
    just grabbing a cuppa before i brave the weather with the dogs....had my coat on twice now, only to have the heavens open as soon as we got up the garden path i'm willing the rain clouds to blow over and leave us alone!!

SAV3R keep your chin up sweetheart, we all have down days, but things can only get better (((hugs)))

IfOnlyItWasEasier hope you're feeling better soon....at least you're not spending money when you're poorly!!

Denise hope things pick up for your OH soon.it must be awful going to work when he hates the job so much

well, i can't believe how well i've done this week...i've still got over 30 in my purse to last me to Sunday so if i'm really really good i shouldn't need to spend much more, and it can go towards getting the flippin fridge fixed :rolleyes:

right am gonna try and brave the weather again.................. if you see a drowned woman with 3 soaking wet dogs, that'll be me!!!
    Originally posted by mandy_moo_1
    hiya dont know if this will be of any use but B&Q have fridges on offer at86 which i know is still a lot but not much more than your repair job and at least it would be covered for 12 months,pity your not closer to me as i have an itergrated one spare,hth,sorry if its of no use though.x
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/300spends already this month-animal food-28,mr T shop-119.plus local shop spends total spent 257,
  • mummygems
    I posted this on the voucher discussion thread but thought someone on here might have the answer (just in case I need to cancel my order!).

When you use the money off code (for Tesco), say 5 off 50 and the total of your shopping plus delivery is something like 55 and they accept the voucher but after all the BOGOF and 2 for 1 type things have been taken off the total is 46 (and therefore under 50) will they still accept the code seeing as they accepted it online and nothing gets deducted until they go through the checkout?

Does that make sense lol.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,621Posts Today

6,639Users online

Martin's Twitter