PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

whole chicken in the slow cooker

Options
Can't fit a whole chicken in my slow cooker (which is on loan from mum).

To save me going out to buy one, how do I go about chopping bits off to make it all fit? I don't really need to learn how to joint a chicken to do this, maybe just cut his legs off? :confused:
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• angelavdavis
    Options
    There are some good videos on the Food Network (US) site, including quartering a chicken.

Try out http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/ck_dm_meat_poultry/text/0,,FOOD_19002_23291,00.html

Personally though, I just insert the knife into the crease between the leg and ribcage and then cut through the knuckle joint to remove the legs.

My mum uses kitchen scissors to cut the chick in half (starting at the neck opening, cut down the centre ribcage, then cut each half in half again.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi pollyanna,

There are step by step instructions and pictures here on how to cut up a whole chicken.

Warning.....if you're squeamish, don't look at the link.;)

Pink
  • ziggy2004
    Options
    It works!!!!!! I am so happy I would never have thought of this if it wasn't for this board. I put in in on low for 6 hours and had a delicious roast chicken I made a pasta dish with chicken yesterday and i have enough left for another full meal and a little bit to into my special fried rice.

Thank you!:T :T :T :T

X Anne

If anyone is considering trying this please do I was amazed at how much I could get off the chicken we(dh really) are big meateaters and a medium chicken would normally have only done us for 1 meal now it is 2 and a bit
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I love chicken done in the slow cooker, it's just the smell of it I cant stand. Doesnt seem to smell as nice in the house as it does in the oven, but it really does literally fall off the bone, you can pick up the meat and leave the bones behind in the pot.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You definately get the most off your chicken when you do it in the slow cooker. How did you do yours? I put the chicken on 2 biggish carrots so it's not resting on the bottom of the pot. I read this somewhere so i've never tried it without the carrots. :o
  • bulchy
    bulchy Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I'm going to try this on sunday. Got a medium size chicken, so will allow 6 hours cooking time, and will definitely use carrots to rest it on.
    Jackie, do you eat the carrots that you cook the chicken on?
    Tiff, if the smell isnt as pleasant as roasting in the oven, I might add some cloves of garlic, might make it more appealing.
    Sue
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    you can finish it off in the conventional oven to crisp up the skin, might improve the aroma?
    but it's difficult to move the chicken as it's all slippy and can't get a grip as meat falls off the bone so easily.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bulchy wrote:
    I'm going to try this on sunday. Got a medium size chicken, so will allow 6 hours cooking time, and will definitely use carrots to rest it on.
    Jackie, do you eat the carrots that you cook the chicken on?

I usually do. No point in wasting them. :) I also put in a whole onion (peeled of course. Dh loves this, something to do with his mum always giving him this when he lived at home :confused: )

How much water do you put in with your chicken. I just put an inch or so. I only got my cooker last year so it's still pretty much trail and error here.
  • hazzie123
    hazzie123 Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I just stick my chicken in it,no water,no veg at the bottom.Have done this a few times now and it`s been perfect every time.

But be carefull when lifting it out of the crockpot,as it`s soooo tender it does tend to fall off the meat fork. I tried to get it out the usual way I would if it had been done in the oven with a large meat fork.I gave it a good jab in the breast and tried to lift it out but it just slipped off and slopped back into the crockpot,splashing me with hot chicken juice.
    So now I use two slotted serving spoons to pick it out.

The meat is unbelievably tender by slow cooking it.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007 :j :money:
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've only cooked a chicken in the slow cooker twice (for my cat).

Maybe I cooked it too long, cos even the bones crumbled to nothing. I had it on from 6am to 6pm on low. :confused:

Because of the bone crumbly thing, I have never made roast chicken like this for me and bf.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts