PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting rid of the smell of vomit!!

Options
Just thought I'd check the best recommendations for getting rid of the smell of vomit - my little girl was sick yesterday and I gave it all a clean up and have now steam cleaned the carpet. There is no stain, but definitely a smell that is lingering!! Our dog has taken to laying at that area of carpet now so we also have an attractive smelling vomit dog too!!

Comments

• Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2009 at 3:05PM
    Options
    If I remember rightly, sprinkling the area with bicarbonate of soda leaving for a few hours or over night and then hovering up.

I'm sure there is something in the OS section about this. I'll have a look for you.

There you go two previous threads. :)

Sick on the carpet - sorry!

Help please my house smells of sick
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I second the sprinkling with Bicarb or try a little white vinegar/bicarb mix and soak up excess damp with an old towel
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • zara*elise
    zara*elise Posts: 481 Forumite
    Options
    I third that. Bicarb is brilliant for removing smells. If it's particularly bad, as per Butterfly's suggestion, soak the area in white vinegar fo an hour, then sprinkle the bicarb over it. leave for at least an hour (as long as poss) then vacuum up.

If the smell still lingers it may be in the underlay.

xx
    Foreign politicians often zing stereotypical tunes, mayday, mayday, Venezuela, neck
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Google the website Stain Expert. I think it's on there.

If the smell is in the air (carefully) light a candle and let it burn. As the candle burns it takes the air and smell molecules away with it. This works with unfragranced candles as well as scented ones.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • cassie27
    cassie27 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    for any unwanted smells i use a product from a pet shop called simple solution and it gets rid of all smells and stains and is brilliant

i use it as an air freshener now (its for cleaning away animal urine , sick etc ) is also good for stains on clothes and costs about £4.00 a bottle and lasts ages

and as it is for pets your dog will not be able to smell where your daughter was sick , it has a lovely scent
  • themole_2
    themole_2 Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with the bicarbonate of soda ..... I have used this time and time again, always with great results..... I just make it up into a paste and use it on everything...except silk!

I used to even keep a supply of it in a little container that I carried around with me.... just in case!
  • smileypigface
    Options
    The title says it all really - I'm at my wits end trying to get the smell of vomit out of a carpet.

I packed my 11 year old off to his dad's on Thursday night so my 15 year old could have some friends over for the night - predictably 2 of them had smuggled some gin into the house - and spent the entire night throwing up.

Unfortunately the main area of sick was in my 11 year old's bedroom on the floor right next to his bed.

I've borrowed a carpet shampooer and used the Vax liquid formulated to get rid of pet smells - obviously teenage vomit smells are more resilient!!! I've been over it twice now - the last time I used the entire tank of soapy water on that one spot - the feint stain that had been there has gone but the smell is still strong.

I am so annoyed as it's my 11 year old who is going to be smelling this - through no fault of his own - it's only the fact that I'm 6-months pregnant that has stopped me from throwing my 15 year olds belongings into his room and painting her room blue and moving him into it today!!!!!!

Any ideas for what I can do to get rid of the smell????

I've had all the windows open since Friday morning and the room seems quite fresh until you close the windows then the area can be smelled and after the door has been shut for a while it fills the room.

Bicarbinate of Soda???? Just going to go sprinke some on and hoover it off and see if that helps??????????
  • smileypigface
    Options
    Nope - brushed bicarb into the area, left it a bit and hoovered it off - no change!

H E L P!!!!!
  • angeltreats
    Options
    Biological washing powder?

I don't envy you one bit.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Bicarb is definitely what I would use, but It might still be smelling because it has got into the underlay or floor boards and the only way to cure this is to lift the carpet and see
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business