PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Perfect Mashed Potato?

Options
Here's a conundrum :)

Hubby is extremely picky when it comes to veg, potato in particular.

He hates winter spuds (you know, the ones that break down/fall apart during cooking), and ends up surviving the season on Sainsburys Instant Mash.

This of course doesn't help me with trying to keep the kids on a healthy diet, when they see him eating it.

So - how to make real mashed potatoes that taste like smash?

Tried butter today, didn't quite work. Think I may need to try some milk as well. But are there any foolproof and failsafe tips in OS-world?

:)
DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts

Comments

• dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tip no. 1, use potatoes which are meant for Mash. I use King Edwards, but Desiree are also good.

When you have steamed (or boiled them gently) until soft, strain all the water out.

Add: butter, creme fraiche, salt and pepper (I actually salt my potatoes during the steaming and boiling, but I know many people disklike this)

Cover with a clean tea towel for five mins to absorb steam

Get in there with your electric whisk.

Guarantee no lumps this way.
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    Can't make enough mash in our house. OH will always clean up any that's left. However, it has to be 'proper' mash and not that 'instant stuff'. In his view as long as its made from real potatoes and not out of a packet then its worthy of putting in his stomach.

The reason for my post is that once he tried the instant route (he's curious like that) and he ended up creating potato soup instead. Hadn't laughed so much in ages. Ever since the idea of the instant stuff in any form has revolted him.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you Dannahaz - I will definitely try that one :)

rchddap1 - I prefer proper spuds, but it's only this summer I've even got him to eat them regularly, so I don't want to loose the impetus now the spuds are changing :)
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • Tallymanjohn
    Tallymanjohn Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    Options
    Knob of butter, bit of milk, bit of seasoning, beat with electric whisk (don't bother with the hand mashers - just making work for yourself). Better than Smash anyday. For a bit of extra interest beat in some grated cheddar.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    The best thing i have used for mashed potato is a potato ricer - perfect mash everytime!!!!
  • aurora_borealis_2
    Options
    I like a bit of nutmeg in mine ;)
    de do-do-do, de dar-dar-dar ;)
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi earthmother,

There are lots of tips on making mashed potatoes on these older threads:

Any tips for making mashed spuds?

lump free mash

Pink
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The kind of potatoes your OH hates are the kind you need to make mash :confused: The sort you get in the summer are waxy and not suitable for mashing.

I would give him the Smash and tell him to get on with it while you make yourself and the kids proper mash with proper potatoes ;)
  • skystar
    skystar Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    catowen wrote:
    The best thing i have used for mashed potato is a potato ricer - perfect mash everytime!!!!

I can second this. I got one in Lidl for about a fiver and it is fab :D

I just boil my potatoes until soft, drain, wait until they cool a bit then pop a knob a butter and then use the potato ricer. Absolutely no lumps at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport