PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cauliflower cheese, anyone?

Options
MBE has been cooking. :eek:

I'm not very good at judging quantities, and as a result I have enough cauliflower cheese :drool: to feed 6 large hungry rugby players. :o

I have eaten enough for two of them <burp>, and will put a portion in the fridge for tomorrow, but what am I going to do with the rest? Will it freeze? It's got broccoli and pasta and bacon in (this is the king of cauliflower cheeses :D ) if that makes any difference. Oh yeah, and I used Mexicana cheese (the one with the chillis in) for a bit of extra pep. The sauce is a bit on the runny side, if I'm honest, but the taste is to die for.

Oh yeah, while I think about it, can flour go off? The flour in my cupboard (new & unopened) was BBE Sept '04. I don't cook very often. :o
If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comments

• Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    I find that cauli gets very waterlogged when frozen and you need to re-heat it and stir.... which breaks up the cauli :think: so if you don't mind it going soggy and mushy then go for it :D I freeze it for my toddler so she doesn't mind... then again neither does my hubby so...... :D

Flour can get weevils in it... have a close look, is it moving? If not then you'll probably be ok.... probably!!!!!
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Jay-Jay wrote:
    I find that cauli gets very waterlogged when frozen and you need to re-heat it and stir.... which breaks up the cauli :think: so if you don't mind it going soggy and mushy then go for it :D I freeze it for my toddler so she doesn't mind... then again neither does my hubby so...... :D

Flour can get weevils in it... have a close look, is it moving? If not then you'll probably be ok.... probably!!!!!

Oh gawd, I'm gonna end up with cauliflower cheese soup. :(
    What a waste....someone run round now while it's still warm! Free grub!

The flour was moving a little, but it was the lesser of two weevils, so I used it anyway. :rotfl:
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Mrsbojangles_2
    Options
    Would love the recipe MBE, don't worry about the qauntites i'll adjust!
    February Grocery Challenge £250.00

Spend so far £230!! (Ohhh my days HELP) still got almost 2 weeks left!!
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Options
    mmmmmmm.... I had cauliflower soup once and it was delish :D

No, someone will come on tomorrow and give you some more advice, all may not be lost ;)

in the meantime..... keep eating the cauli cheese .... or you could post it to me :drool: :D

• mrbadexample
    Options
    Ok, one recipe, bloke style:

Chuck some butter in a pan, probably a couple of ounces or so.
    Add a chopped onion (or two if you have no idea what you're doing).
    Add chopped up streaky bacon, but not all of it coz you need to save a bit for the top.
    Fry it up for a bit, until the onions are soft and the bacon's cooked.
    At some point guess when to put some pasta (I like that tricolour fusilli coz it's different colours) and some broccoli and cauliflower on.
    Add BBE Sept '04 flour to the frying things, and it will get thick and sticky. Try not to burn it at this point.
    Add some milk, bit by bit until it goes sort of gloopy.
    Put in grated Mexicana cheese (available from Morrisons at least) until it goes nice and thick again. Not all of it though because you need a bit for the top.
    Let the sauce simmer very gently until the pasta and cauliflower and broccoli are al dente. (That means a bit 'ard in t'middle).
    Get a really big ovenproof dish of some description.
    Turn the grill on.
    Put the broccoli, pasta and cauliflower into the ovenproof dish.
    Pour over the cheese sauce.
    Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese onto the top.
    Cut the remaining rashers of bacon in half and put them on top too.
    Whack it under the grill.
    Keep your eye on it, and take it out when the bacon's done and it's nice and brown on top.

Hey presto:

cc2.jpg

And that's just the leftovers. :(
  • Mrsbojangles_2
    Options
    LOL Thanks MBE, looks yummie!
    February Grocery Challenge £250.00

Spend so far £230!! (Ohhh my days HELP) still got almost 2 weeks left!!
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Options
    oooooh MBE!!!! That looks delish!!! :drool: Well done!

May give that a go :think:

So are you going to buy a pinny and start joining in on the 'What can I do with a tanker full of vinegar?' threads?

:D

• mrbadexample
    Options
    Jay-Jay wrote:
    oooooh MBE!!!! That looks delish!!! :drool: Well done!

May give that a go :think:

So are you going to buy a pinny and start joining in on the 'What can I do with a tanker full of vinegar?' threads?

:D

You think it looks good? You should taste it. :drool: My favourite cousin Helen taught me how to do it. (Cheers Hel :T ) It only took me about 5 goes to get the hang of it. :D It is the only dish I can actually cook from scratch. My other dish is the obligatory chilli, but I cheat and use a bought sauce for that. ;)

And no plans on buying a pinny. I'm looking for a lass that can cook though. :cool:
  • RacyRed
    RacyRed Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    WOW!

That looks seriously edible MBE..... Are you married?
    icon12.gif
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead :D
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    :cool:
  • Mr_Proctalgia
    Options
    I loved that MBE, pefect example of a blokie recipe, I understood every bit of it - Well done.

Nota Bene: For the Girls

Some
    A bit of
    A slack handfull
    Loads
    Pile it on
    Careful with the tabasco!

Are legitimate recipe amounts!
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport