Great 'Breakfast MoneySaving' Hunt

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
When you’re commuting to work, the pull of a cappuccino and pastry or similar can be irresistible. Yet spend £3.50 on these every work morning, and it adds up to a shocking £875 a year (try this for yourself by using the Demotivator calculator).

So I thought I’d tap MoneySavers for tips on how to kick the expensive breakfast habit, and make quick, cheap breckies when in a rush. Could you take a flask of coffee, use a toaster at work, or make it the night before?

Please post below to share what works for you.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• Fuchsia_a
    Fuchsia_a Posts: 116 Forumite
    If I'm really in a rush and about to miss the bus, I usually make toast and run for the bus with it and then eat it at the bus stop. It gives me something to do, considering they're almost always late. If I'm in slightly less of a rush, I toast pitta bread / bagels or similar and wrap it in kitchen paper and stick it in my bag. On cold days (if the bus is on time) it's still nice and warm when I fish it out and eat it; it's really nice to warm your hands up on after catching the bus.

When I haven't thought that far ahead, I usually go into a supermarket or shop along my route and buy something suitable for breakfast, like a packet of currant buns. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying something designed as a takeaway snack or meal, and means you have breakfast sorted out for other days too. ;)
  • saintscouple
    saintscouple Posts: 4,310
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I prepare the night before cereal and a fruit cocktail.
    The fruit i slice, place in a container and keep in the fridge till the morning.
    The cereal i use a container similar to this, that keeps the milk chilled, and seperate from the cereal, but all in one container incl the spoon.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A carton of juice (bought from a supermaket in a multi-pack of course) -EVEN BETTER- buy a tupperware-type drinks container, or even a classy water bottle ,and drink on the move (Asda smartprice orange is NICE and less than 40p for a lage caRton) .A homemade flapjack contains porridge-good for cholesterol lowering-and poridge is vey cheap too-the perfect breakfast food-as healthy as it gets on the Run-think there is a recipe on here for microwave flapjacks to speed up the process even more
  • seatzie
    seatzie Posts: 761
    First Post
    Forumite
    the Spar/Centra branded small shops/supermarkets near where I work do portion size Cruncyh Nut Cornflakes etc for 39p, they're twice the size of variety pack boxes so I buy one of those and a five alive - cereal and fruit juice for less than £1 (I eat the cornflakes dry without milk, gives me something to do with my hands - like eating sweets from a bag only healthier and my brain doesn't ask for sweets then lol!)
    Norn Iron Club Member #64

Wikkity Wikkity Wikkity Lets go racing!
  • Fern_Merkin
    Fern_Merkin Posts: 830 Forumite
    Not to everyone's taste, maybe. I hardboil 5 eggs on Sunday night, (cool down rapidly to avoid the grey bit round the yolk) and keep in fridge door. Do not mix up boiled and raw eggs :eek: This plus a piece or portion of fruit (banana, grapes, tomatoes) is a suprisingly filling start to the day, and incredibly easy as breakfast is sorted sunday for all week.:j
  • Nenen
    Nenen Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    Go to work on a banana! I always eat a banana in the car on the way to work... instant, easy-to-eat, energy-providing food and recyclable packaging :D that sets me off very well indeed! I then keep a bag of porridge oats and a packet of dried fruit in my desk at work. We are lucky enough to have access to a microwave oven and milk is provided free so I make myself a bowl of porridge either before I start work (if I get there early enough) or during my morning break. I just mix two or three of handfuls of oats with a small handful of raisins etc and some milk. Microwave for 2 or 3 minutes and hey presto... an easy, cheap and very nutritious breakfast! If I don't fancy my porridge I make my own latte in the microwave instead!
    “A journey is best measured in friends, not in miles.”
    (Tim Cahill)
  • d.o.o.g
    d.o.o.g Posts: 342 Forumite
    Variety is the spice of life for me. I have in my desk drawer:

Oats, a box of cereal, a packed of dried prunes, a packet of dried dates, a packet of Brazil nuts and a bag of sultanas. I also have a box of Nescafe Cappuccino sachets.

On any given day I will much my way through a selection of these.

On a really "naughty" day I might treat myself to a hot sausage and bacon roll from the local co-op for £1.49.
  • yorkshirepud_2
    yorkshirepud_2 Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    I normally keep butter in the fridge at work and jam, then just bring in bread in the morning, or bagel. I only treat myself to breakfast when i have vouchers (That sounds really tight but i have better stuff to spend my money on).

I have also been known to precook sausages and bacon the night before and take to work and reheat. Another good one is to precook and freeze sausages then you can just grab out of freezer and nuke at work.

we have a snack machine for choc and crisps in our staff room and the number of times i see people eating breakfast from it, aaaggghhh makes me cringe.
  • For a hot weather smoothie - keep shop bought frozen soft/summer fruits in stock or open freeze (ie on trays so they stay separate like frozen peas!) and bag your favourites when in season & cheap.
    In the morning chuck a handful into blender with some fruit juice or if you prefer yoghurt and/or milk and blitz. decant and take away. It should stay chilled for a bit but will need a stir. If you add banana it will go brownish. Use fresh fruit if preferred and ice cubes if you want it cold.

If you want a quick power shake and are not on the vulnerable list (pregnant etc) blitz banana, milk, yogurt any flavour or plain and a fresh raw egg. Add a drop of vanilla essence, any other soft fruit if you want to and a little sugar to taste if banana isn't particularly sweet! Best consumed straight away when really chilled. ps I've chucked in a tsp of cocoa powder for an interesting variation!

(Next one -Not quite so quick but you can do the fruit anytime and refrigerate for the morning.)
    To use up squishy soft fruit - melt a little butter in a frying pan, add roughly sliced strawbs, apricots, anything etc a 1/2 tsp of sugar and a glug of orange juice. It's ready instantly and smells delicious too! pour hot or cold over plain yogurt add some of that crunchy breakfast granola that lurks in the cupboard for months and enjoy.

The equipment is a doddle to clean when you come home if you leave it soaking while you're at work!:D

As a MSE extra, make your own yogurt!
    You don't have to add the dried milk powder, but it helps to thicken the yogurt. Makes 500ml.
    500ml whole milk
    25g dried milk powder
    3 tbsp live, plain, whole milk yogurt
    Put the milk in a saucepan and whisk in the dried milk powder. Place over a medium heat until the milk steams and bubbles appear around the edge. Pour into a warmed mixing bowl and leave to cool (ie dip clean finger in keep it there for 20 seconds without causing undue pain, it'll be about right). Whisk in the live yogurt, then cover the bowl with a lid or clingfilm, put it somewhere warm overnight - eg in the microwave oven with door closed but not switched on(!) or in a warmed, wide-necked thermos.
    If it's thickened and looks set, pour it into a clean, airtight container and refrigerate. Homemade yogurt isn't as thick as commercial brands. yogurt recipe adapted from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, Guardian, 3 May 2008.
  • If you have a breadmaker (or get one, sometimes bargains on ebay/ car boot sales/gumtree or free on freecycle ) you can use the timer function to have a warm freshly baked loaf ready for you each morning - only takes minutes to cut a few slices and spread with butter and honey / jam / other topping of your choice. No need to toast it when it's so fresh and still nice and warm. Usually best to pop the loaf on a wire-rack to cool for 10 mins while you have a shower. Only takes a few minutes the night before to fill the breadpan with water, honey/sugar, flour, salt and yeast and set the timer. And you wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread wafting through the house. :)
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business