PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• cwp500
    cwp500 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    angchris wrote: »
    i`d be tempted to confess your sins :rotfl: tell him you`ve been doing it for years and saving money and would he mind if you carried on as it hadn`t bothered him before as he preffered the taste.

try to wean every one away from whole milk and use the skimmed, UHT, longlife stuff you can get very cheaply in supermarkets for about 40p a litre.

it lasts for ever in the fridge and is even good enough to drink when you get used to it.

its really surprising how the taste of whole milk becomes sickening when you get used to drinking skimmed.

I can even smell if there is whole milk in my coffee - it smells like grease to me. (the cups are perfectly clean thank you!)
    :o Keep trying.........................what else is there to do? :o
  • looby-loo_2
    looby-loo_2 Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    Options
    My son knocks on doors if there is a skip and asks for any wood off cuts. We use these for kindling on the fire. No one has said no and he doesn't go alone

I've made a greenhouse within my greenhouse from bubble wrap I got in ebay packages. It's 4' x 2' x 18" tall and houses all my seedlings. It means I only have to heat a tiny bit. I have used a candle if it's not too cold.

I have a door curtain across the front door. I close all the curtains at dusk and tuck them in behind the radiator in the bedrooms to get the heat into the rooms - children are well trained at this.

When I'm cooking I turn off the radiator in the kitchen and next room.

I keep all doors closed to prevent drafts and it feel warmer.

I love threads like this - thanks everyone
    Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
    My DD might make the odd post for me
  • cwp500
    First Post
    Options
    looby-loo wrote: »

I have a door curtain across the front door. I close all the curtains at dusk and tuck them in behind the radiator in the bedrooms to get the heat into the rooms - children are well trained at this.

When I'm cooking I turn off the radiator in the kitchen and next room.

I keep all doors closed to prevent drafts and it feel warmer.

I love threads like this - thanks everyone

Important to remember folks; if you have thermostats on your radiators keep the door of the room closed otherwise the rads never settle and you end up burning unnecessary fuel.
  • cwp500
    First Post
    Options
    cwp500 wrote: »
    fridge smells?

use cheap bicarbonate of soda in an egg cup at the bottom of the fridge.

change every couple of weeks. the bicarb can be flushed down the sink with hot water to keep it smelling fresh.

p.s. to this, incidentally the good old bicarb is the so called whitener used in expensive toothpastes.

just add some to your dry brush before you add toothpaste, it tastes a bit weird but wont harm you and really does show results after a few weeks.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I boil a kettle I fill up a flask. The flask provides me with 3 further mugs of water to make coffee later + I don't have to wait for the kettle to boil. So saving time and money.

Whenever I use a wetwipe, I always use it to wipe something else, sometimes a mark on the floor, wipe down a skirting board, or wipe the TV down with it. This little and often approach means that I rarely have to do any housework at all.

I always turn off the oven and rings in the last 10 minutes of cooking time.

I never wear good clothes round the house, always the same old leggings and T shirts. This makes good things last longer + produces much less washing to be done.

I cut washing sponges in half. Then when I've finished with one for washing up it moves to the bathroom. I then use these finally as part of the deep-cleaning the loo ritual, popping it straight in the bin after that one-off use.

I never clean the car. It gets washed in the rain and the layer of dirt on the outside protects it from the elements :)
  • kaydn
    kaydn Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    My DD will only use head and shoulders refuses to try anything else have managed to secrete empty bottles for shampoo and conditioner can anyone recommend a good alternative for me to buy and decant into empty bottles for a blind trial well she won't know I hope lol kathy
  • doodledo_2
    doodledo_2 Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Options
    My hubby always used H&S.

I told him one shopping trip they didn't have any so got him Asdas own which looks the same but half the price. So far no complaints :T
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW No: 712

03/09/09 - DEBT FREE AT LAST :D
    Racing Hypno to Save - £10/£5000
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mention, I keep old socks and use them for cleaning - if you put them over the taps then pour on white vinegar - leave them overnight - then they will be all sparkly the following morning with no work involved. OS and lazy :)
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    Another vote for buying long-life milk, also boiling kettle and filing up a flask...
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business