PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bubble and squeak

Options
Doing a turkey dinner tonight, with pots, cabbage and carots. Have done loads of veg so should have some left. Are these the right ingredients for bubble and squeak, and does anyone know how to do it? Thinking of having saus casserole with bubble and squeak for Thursday tea. Have had a quick look at the recipe index but couldn't see anything. Thanks.

Comments

• Howells
    Howells Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    That's because there is no recipe for Bubble and Squeak :D

You literally put all your unused cooked veg in a frying pan and heat it through.

That really is it!

That is also why Bubble and Squeak is always different :drool:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep. Roast potatoes and parsnips, with a fair bit of cabbage, works really well too. :0
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Look at this thread. Just mash all your leftover veg together and either throw the whole lot in a pan or make into individual cakes.
  • Downsizing__for_sanity
    Options
    Also, if you are making sausages wrapped in bacon as part of the roast, don't forget to rescues a few, chop them up and fry with the cabbage and potato mix. Make sure the pan is hot, and, I know it's not the healthiest option, but if you have any fat from the bird/bacon etc, use that to fry it in to add lots of flavour. Not so healthy but very MS and Old Style! Yum! :j

DFS
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    I just do a basic bubble and squeek. Mash potatos, greens and occassionally(if any left) peas. Mixed together and fried.

I'm eating out tonight and all this thinking about food is making me really hungry.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    I think genuine bubble & squeak has chopped and fried spring onions in it, but I never buy those as a bit cut off an everyday cooking onion is just as good. Of course not everyone likes onion, but if you do then it does bring out the flavour. If you mix in a bit of grated cheese too, you have the basis of a veggie burger.

I gave up trying to make veggie "burgers" as they never kept their shape, but it's just as good to make a big slab in the frying pan, and cut it to bun-size when serving! It all goes down the same way ;) .
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    soba wrote:
    Doing a turkey dinner tonight, with pots, cabbage and carots. Have done loads of veg so should have some left. Are these the right ingredients for bubble and squeak, and does anyone know how to do it? Thinking of having saus casserole with bubble and squeak for Thursday tea. Have had a quick look at the recipe index but couldn't see anything. Thanks.

Hope the bubble and squeak tastes better than the turkey dinner. Tasteless (shop bought) pots, and cardboardy cabbage! Turkey was OK though. After a day of looking forward to a nice tea it was a real disappointment, already looking forward to tomorrow's tea!
  • katie_jane_2
    Options
    hi still quite new to the os made too much mash mixed it with some cooked veg so far so good then attempted to fry it all went very wrong kinda burnt and messy any advice for a bubble n squeak novice would be appreciated (can i use olive oil ?)
    cheers folks
    kate
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Next time you could try chilling them in the fridge for half an hour or more before cooking because this often helps to stop them breaking up... doing them on a low heat will stop them burning - remember everything in them is already cooked so they only need heating thoroughly - though some people like them to be crispy, so start them off, leave them a few minutes then turn them over. Less handling in the pan will help.

Edit: Actually there's an older thread (thanks Pink) about bubble and squeak that might help a bit too:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=78620
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • MortgageMamma
    Options
    Might be the wrong place to make this I know, but, can anyone tell me how to make bubble and squeak - for some odd reason I had the urge for some day before yesterday and attempted to make it, but it just tasted like slimy mash - anyone know?

Regards

Career woman who is desperately trying to learn to cooK!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure