PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

easiyo yogurt maker any good? or make your own? (merged)

Options
Hi folks,

I recently been taking a pot of Greek Yoghurt, with fruit to work as part of my lunch. (Nice with honey too - of course.)

However, I was thinking of buying an Easiyo system to make it at home. After buying the kit this then works out at £1.59 per litre (or kilo?) of yoghurt, and is supposed to be idiot proof.

Before I spash out, please does anyone have a *foolproof* method of making greek-style yoghurt with ordinary domestic equipment that they would like to share? I really would like to start making my own...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

White.

Comments

• Ember999
    Ember999 Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whitefiver wrote:
    Hi folks,

I recently been taking a pot of Greek Yoghurt, with fruit to work as part of my lunch. (Nice with honey too - of course.)

However, I was thinking of buying an Easiyo system to make it at home. After buying the kit this then works out at £1.59 per litre (or kilo?) of yoghurt, and is supposed to be idiot proof.

Before I spash out, please does anyone have a *foolproof* method of making greek-style yoghurt with ordinary domestic equipment that they would like to share? I really would like to start making my own...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

White.

I have the Easiyo Yoghurt maker and its invaluable to me. I bought it from a shopping TV channel about 6 months ago and I have fresh home made yoghurt daily now. It is idiot proof, it never goes wrong and the greek yoghurt I make is the thickest, most delicious yoghurt you can imagine. To get an idea of the taste, think of the yoghurt in the corner pot of a Muller yoghurt, it's just like that. My Easiyo yoghurt maker makes 1 ltr at a time and I also have 2 small easiyo pots to take yoghurt travelling.
    Buy one, its cheaper, better and also has the live cultures to aid your digestive system. You will love it! I love mine :D:D:D
    ~What you send out comes back to thee thricefold!~
    ~
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    There has been a lot of yogging discussed recently, here is the link to the last thread, which has a link to earlier ones . Personally I would use a widemouth flask and strain it, much cheaper!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=70368
  • Whitefiver
    Whitefiver Posts: 688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There has been a lot of yogging discussed recently, here is the link to the last thread, which has a link to earlier ones . Personally I would use a widemouth flask and strain it, much cheaper!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=70368

Thanks for you help, but I am locked out of the first link, and the second one is mainly about the salton maker - which also involves buying kit, and in my experience, (I used to own one *many* years ago), is not reliable, as it depends on saving some from a previous batch to make a starter. With the Easiyo, the culture (and precious little else, apart from dried milk), is in the packet.

Regards,

White.
  • Whitefiver
    Whitefiver Posts: 688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ember999 wrote:
    I
    Buy one, its cheaper, better and also has the live cultures to aid your digestive system. You will love it! I love mine :D:D:D

Sounds like a winner to me - many thanks. I was kind of hoping for a home-made solution, but if it works, I'll probably give it a go.

Many thanks for your advice.

Regards,

White
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whitefiver wrote:
    Thanks for you help, but I am locked out of the first link, and the second one is mainly about the salton maker - which also involves buying kit, and in my experience, (I used to own one *many* years ago), is not reliable, as it depends on saving some from a previous batch to make a starter. With the Easiyo, the culture (and precious little else, apart from dried milk), is in the packet.

Regards,

White.
    Actually the first link was OK - it was the second one that was faulty - and that because it was to A-T's own edit posts, which you are clearly not allowed to join :)

I've edited to remove it.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Ember999
    Ember999 Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I tried to go into that link also and got told it was a no-go area...I wondered what I had done wrong! Thanks for explaining the bad link :j
    ~What you send out comes back to thee thricefold!~
    ~
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Just when I think that I can work the technology! Squeaky - tell me what I did wrong then I'll know for next time....
  • Cas
    Cas Posts: 236 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ember999 wrote:
    I have the Easiyo Yoghurt maker and its invaluable to me. I bought it from a shopping TV channel about 6 months ago and I have fresh home made yoghurt daily now. It is idiot proof, it never goes wrong and the greek yoghurt I make is the thickest, most delicious yoghurt you can imagine. To get an idea of the taste, think of the yoghurt in the corner pot of a Muller yoghurt, it's just like that. My Easiyo yoghurt maker makes 1 ltr at a time and I also have 2 small easiyo pots to take yoghurt travelling.

I second that! I bought one about 6 weeks ago and I wouldn't be without mine either. I take 2 of the small travel pots to work with me every day and I fill them both to the brim with yogurt and fruit, usually raspberries, strawberries or peaches. Yum!! :drool:

I bought my Easiyo from Lakeland, we used to go through a lot of yogurts/yogurt drinks and this is so much cheaper. And the tubs are dishwasher proof, another bonus!
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I thought long and hard about an easiyo but did not because of the cost of the mixes.

There are not to hard to get hold of as I am am lucky and with about 7 miles I have two Julian Graves so can get the packet mixes.

But it is the cost as to make yoghurt all you need is a pint of milk and starter and from then you only need milk.

These mixes are expensive when you can get a starter from supermarket for about 40p and the mixes are like a £1+ to buy.

But I might have another think about it though. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • savingmum
    savingmum Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    calleyw wrote:
    I thought long and hard about an easiyo but did not because of the cost of the mixes.

There are not to hard to get hold of as I am am lucky and with about 7 miles I have two Julian Graves so can get the packet mixes.

But it is the cost as to make yoghurt all you need is a pint of milk and starter and from then you only need milk.

These mixes are expensive when you can get a starter from supermarket for about 40p and the mixes are like a £1+ to buy.

But I might have another think about it though. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours

Calley

You don't have to use the mixes each time - I have one and if i do use a mix then you just take a couple of tbps of the yogurt and mix with uht milk and start again. I do this about 5 times before having to use a new starter as thenit becomes a bit sour.

You can use some live yogurt as starter and your uht milk or scalded pasteurised each time if you want.

I just find the principle easy as you just mix in the container and put it in the maker with the boiling water and hey presto 6 - 8 hrs later - yogurt!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure