Holiday MSE style

After much deliberation at the end of the caravaning season last year I decided to sell my caravan while it was still worth a bob or two and use the money to book a holiday in Florida and meet up with my friend from NZ whom I haven't seen for 14 years ;)

First place to start was the Travel Boards, where thanks to Finish Rich I found a great flight website, info on tickets for Disney, accommodation etc.
Back in January I asked Andrea to make this thread a sticky and lots of great tips and info have since been added.

All these were booked either via the internet or on the phone using 18866/1899 and Martin's Call Checker for cheapest rates to call US, the information of course found here.

All of these tickets etc were bought via my cash back credit card which I got a year or so ago after a recommdation via MSE and now balance transfered over to my Capital One 18 month 0% interest credit card ;)

All due to reading the Credit Card Zone of course and being lucky enough to read Martin's thread on the Capital One offer here. The moral of the Capital One thread is, if Martin says QUICK, be quick, read and apply! (sorry but that offer is finished now)

Insurance obtained through reading Martin's article on Travel Insurance here and then going through the affiliate links of course so MSE gains a small contribution which enables Martin to keep MSE ad-free, run the forums and donate to charity. Read about MSE and the ethos of the site here.

Nationwide credit card applied for as per Martin's recommendation here as no fees to pay when using abroad.

For my foreign currency I have read this thread and will probably buy some soon before the rate starts to go back down :o

Lots of Freebie shampoo etc will be packed along with sunscreen bought after reading Grabbit and the portable dvd player bought after reading a post on Shop Don't Drop.

Next week I will be buying flight socks from Aldi after putting a post on the I Wanna board which was then moved to the Health board.

Now you might think this is not exactly a money saving holiday and you would be right but it is a trip of a lifetime as it will never be repeated with my friend from NZ and the best bit is I have got the best deals possible.

To quote Martin it's about saving money on anything and everything – finding the best deals and beating the system.

(oh and by the way I am not going to put down how much I have saved as that would mean counting up how much I have spent
icon11.gif and this holiday means a lot more than the cost)

edited to add, post inspired by one I made earlier :D and more importantly thank you to Martin and all MSE users who have helped.

Comments

• Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,857
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    Congrats on some great moneysaving and getting a mention in the email tip,
    definitely a contender for post of the month :beer:

and have a lovely holiday icon7.gif
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    That's awesome! A very inspirational and informative post.

Sounds like you've *earned* that holiday with the work you've put into the planning and using deals and this site's info to the best advantage!

Have a well earned holiday and lots of FUN!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 1,533 Forumite
    Queenie wrote:

Sounds like you've *earned* that holiday with the work you've put into the planning and using deals and this site's info to the best advantage!

and for all the help you give other people on this site.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why thank you Angela :beer:

Unfortunately or maybe fortunately there is no easy internet access where we are staying onsite in Disney but I am sure I will be able to find a way :o

As a small aside since I posted this I managed to send for a couple of packs of the freebie Snore Calms here as I understand my friend is quite a loud snorer :rotfl:

Alas this particular freebie has now been moved to Gone but not Forgotten!
  • Pat__3
    Pat__3 Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Queenie wrote:

Definitely agree with the above.icon14.gif

Angela wrote:
    and for all the help you give other people on this site.

And totally second this.icon7.gif
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Have a great holiday - you deserve it after all the work that you put into it :j
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The title of this thread reminded me of a holiday we had a few years ago in France. It was definately MSE Style-but pre MSE-if you know what I mean!

I'd won a £50 voucher against any Keycamp Holiday (similar to Eurocamp). We found a good, small site in Brittany-not too much driving when we got off the ferry-cutting cost, time, and unhappy kids. Booked a simple caravan-I know we could have saved more in a tent-but I neeeed a shower and toilet! Managed to get more discounts from keycamp at time, i.e First Time Booking, no surcharge on ferry crossing, got insurance elsewhere etc.

My girls were about 6 and 8 then, packed the car with loads food, and big cool box packed full, some toys etc, and drove overnight to ferry, thus saving over night stay in port, and girls slept. Hubby slept when we got to caravan!

The 10 days we were there were boiling hot, crayons melted on caravan table! Spent hardly any money as we cooked in caravan or BBQ each night, ate outside, and drunk cheap french wine when the kids went to bed. Spent the days in the pool, on the water slides or on the beach, or people watching near the posh yachts in the harbour.

Had a brillient holiday, spent only about £100 in 10 days, and met a family which we still keep in touch with. When the kids are little, I don't think you need to spend loads for them to have fun. But now they're teenagers.....its another story!!
    :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport