PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

URGENT: Greedy landlord gone OTT..?

Options

Comments

• nobblyned
    nobblyned Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    What on earth are you going on about???????

Pay rent in a place you don't live????? To someone you don't have a contract with?????

Are you barking?

The landlord doesn't have a leg to stand on. Ask them to show you where in the contract that extra charges are incurred for guests.

I know Martin says there is no such thing as a stupid question, put you are truly pushing the envelope with this one....
  • scat
    scat Posts: 403 Forumite
    Options
    Am I the the only one that thinks the OP is wrong then? I've lived in shared houses and it would have been totally out of order for any of us to have had a friend/partner staying over on a regular basis. From what you say it sounds like you are staying very regularly, certainly often enough for you to feel that perhaps you should be paying something. What you are overlooking is the fact that these other tenants are probably pretty !!!!ed off at you being there all the time. This isn't a love nest it's their home and you are in their home using the facilities ( heating, lighting, water, phone? ) that they are paying for. I strongly suspect that this has come from the other tenants rather than the Landlord. I wouldn't give the Landlord a penny because he/she is already getting their money. It's the other tenants who are being disadvantaged. I don't think there is anything you can do to put this right. If you want to live with your girlfriend then the best thing you can do is get a place together. You are vague about your own arrangements? Are you paying rent somewhere else or are you still living at home with parents?

Don't mean to be harsh just trying to see this from another perspective.
  • whowants2brich
    Options
    a) I currently live at home with my parents, and stay round at my girlfriend's for a few nights a week. I do pay a small amount of rent each week to my parents, towards bills etc, and have done ever since I moved home after uni.

b) I'd happily offer to pay a contribution towards all the bills, but we know that the landlord won't accept it - it'll be either proportional to the full rental costs or eviction for my girlfriend. I'd say something like £50 pcm towards bills etc, but given as the landlord's known pretty much since day one that I've been staying round a bit, and continued to say nothing, I'm not sure if she can ask for backdated rent all of a sudden, just because she as the landlord so chooses.

(from all of your comments, though, it's clear that she can't - but at the same time she should be prepared to negotiate and accept a fair contribution to bills... As she won't accept any negotiations, or what's fair as per the OFT's documentation, then I'm more inclined to offer nothing. If she doesn't know that, as a landlord, there are certain things she can do and many things she can't, then I'll be able to offer her a fair contribution, see her in court - and wait for the case to be thrown out for wasting court time. If I've offered her a fair contribution, and she's refused to accept it, surely that would go in our favour?)

And so the story continues......
    Having fun trying to save money without going over the top and living on budget food all the time...
  • thesaint
    thesaint Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ManAtHome wrote: »
    Previous address if less than 3 years at current? well that'd be missing the crappy one out then...

A little information for you.

If you have a CCJ, missing out your previous address will not hide it.
    CCJ's are not given to addresses, but people. ;)
    Well life is harsh, hug me don't reject me.
  • budget_counsellor_shaz
    Options
    I have read through this thread and things aren't always as black and white as they seem! We obviously haven't been able to get all sides of the story.
    but the other two don't like my girlfriend and the way that she is.

I realise that the other tenants are not being fair to your girl freind....... but is that the land ladys fault? :confused:

You also say that your girlfriend is paying an all inclusive rent which includes bills for a single person (not for a couple). While I would imagine most landlords wouldn't mind tenants having freinds to stay for the odd night ...... I had a tenant and she had her boyfriend move in for about 6 months. He paid nothing towards anything. I complained although I didn't ask for any extra money. I explained she was being unfair to the other tenants as use of the house was then shared between 5 instead of 4. (The other tenants had complained to me thats how I'd found out) She then said that I was being unreasonable because she was entitled to freinds to stay which I agreed but not to move in!!!!!:mad: Then she got upset with me when I wouldn't renew her contract at the end of the tenancy!:rolleyes:

My girlfriend has been renting from a landlord for two years now, paying £350 per month, all inclusive. The landlord has known that I've been staying over a couple of nights a week, mostly at the weekend but sometimes during the week as well.

It may seem like the landlady is being unreasonable but I think you need to talk to her and offer something towards your keep are you sure you are only staying there upto 3 nights a week?
    ... My girlfriend agrees that I should contribute, and has pretty much said so to the landlord. The other thing that she's saying is that I should pay the money (she's calculating it as about £2,000 for the days I've been there over the past 12 months) - and that if I don't pay the money, she'll call it a day with me.

As I said earlier, if I was you I would talk to the landlord (most people are reasonable especially when you speak to them face to face) offer to pay a reasonable amount towards the bills. Although you haven't signed a contract your girl friend has... so you need to be understanding. If it doesn't get sorted or the landlady is not reasonable then find somewhere else to live.

Shaz
  • whowants2brich
    Options
    Thanks Shaz. The only issue here is that the landlord doesn't want to meet up with me, and talk to me about this. Maybe it's because my girlfriend feels trappend, and that she has to pay. Maybe it's because the landlord thinks that I'll try to defend ourselves. As I wrote above, if I thought she'd negotiate and accept a fair contribution, then fine - but neither of us think that she'll listen...

Regarding your scenario, you found out that a tenant had invited someone to move in, permanently. We haven't done that, and I'd never even contemplate moving in full-time. Also, as soon as you found out, you said something and gave the tenant a choice. This to me would be the correct thing to do. As the landlord has known about this for ages, and chosen to continue to say nothing, doesn't that then invalidate any of her options?
    Having fun trying to save money without going over the top and living on budget food all the time...
  • Guy_Montag
    Guy_Montag Posts: 2,291 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Shaz. The only issue here is that the landlord doesn't want to meet up with me, and talk to me about this. Maybe it's because my girlfriend feels trappend, and that she has to pay. Maybe it's because the landlord thinks that I'll try to defend ourselves. As I wrote above, if I thought she'd negotiate and accept a fair contribution, then fine - but neither of us think that she'll listen...

Regarding your scenario, you found out that a tenant had invited someone to move in, permanently. We haven't done that, and I'd never even contemplate moving in full-time. Also, as soon as you found out, you said something and gave the tenant a choice. This to me would be the correct thing to do. As the landlord has known about this for ages, and chosen to continue to say nothing, doesn't that then invalidate any of her options?
    Your girlfriend doesn't have to meet the LL alone. She's perfectly entitled to bring you along. It concerns you & your money. If she doesn't want to, tell her to agree to nothing & simply repeat - "I can neither confirm or deny anything until I have spoken to my legal council".

I don't know why she's staying there if she doesn't get on with half the occupants. She should start looking elsewhere, find somewhere friendlier.

I've lived in shared houses in the past, in general at least one person there has been "dating". It never bothered me how much time the partner stayed as long as the sex wasn't too noisy & they didn't make too much mess, it's one of the things you have to accept as part of living in shared housing.
    "Mrs. Pench, you've won the car contest, would you like a triumph spitfire or 3000 in cash?" He smiled.
    Mrs. Pench took the money. "What will you do with it all? Not that it's any of my business," he giggled.
    "I think I'll become an alcoholic," said Betty.
  • nobblyned
    nobblyned Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    To be fair mate, if you don't think that "a few nights a week" isn't pretty much full time you need a bit of a reality check.

That level of occupancy is pretty much akin to moving in. If it was say one night a week at hers, and her one night a week at yours that would be to be expected.

I'm not saying you owe the landlord anything except maybe a bills contribution. But you are being unfair in your attitude to the other sharers. No wonder they don't like you two!
  • sm9ai
    sm9ai Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options
    I would offer to contribute towards the bills.

Unless you sleep in a different room(which I doubt) then imo you owe nothing towards the rent.
  • PosterBoy77
    PosterBoy77 Posts: 358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been a landlord of shared houses and I would not have dreamt of trying this kind of thing on! I let a house out to some sharers and they paid the bills themselves, but the house was let as a house, and that was it. Obviosuly in this case it seems rooms have been let individuallly, but again rooms are rooms. I can understand the other sharers may not like it and I would understand if a private arrangement was met with them to contribute to the bills etc if you are a regular visitor, but nothing else. If you are not a lodger but a tenat you are allowed by law to enjoy your property as your own home, and this means visitors too. If sharers do not get on or do not like something that is something to be sorted out between them, but nothing to do with the landlord.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure