Coverlook Studios

Options
My 16 year old daughter was contacted 2 days ago by a company called Coverlook Studios. They told her that she had won a competition she had entered, and that she had won a makeover and hair styling worth £500. She needed me (as she is under 18) to agree to this.
I spoke to the chap, a James Lo, who informed me that she had won this competition via the internet (my daughter is a little vague about remembering entering this particular competition!). There are no hidden costs. She would need to book to come up to an address in Oxford Circus for her treatments, she would have a professional photographer take her picture, and that she would get a photo on a CD-rom as a memento (sp?) of the day, with an option to buy other pictures at a 40% discount.
As her family, we were also invited to have the various treatments.
They requested that we pay a refundable £30 deposit to secure our booking.

I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole, but she is really excited.

Has anyone else had experience of this company - all sounds fishy to me!!

Their website is https://www.coverlookstudios.info

Comments

• claireyfairy3281
    Options
    hi,

i've been contacted. in fact they ring me a few times a week. i entered a cometition through the livingtv.co.uk website.

i didn't recognise one of the numbers when they rang on wednesday, so i rang back at 9pm thinking that a company machine would answer, so i knew who it was. A lady answered asking who i was. when i told her, she knew *immediately* that i had won a £300 makeover which includes a guest going free too. You receive one picture. I had a look on their website (which has changed since i last saw it - it looked like it had been written by a teenager before) and it doesn't mention about a free guest on the competition terms, and it also says a free A5 size picture, which is very small!

i did do a makeover shoot 9 years ago which i remember it costing me £40 at the time. i only had one free picture too but got a bit harrassed into buying more. the picture of me and my mum's picture are stil on our wall though...

i think if i had won the £3000 i would do it, but it sounds dodgy giving a £30 deposit. i remember seeing their rules that you cannot cancel the appointment or change it either.
  • alix_y
    Options
    i would strongly advise you not to got through with it as it is a complete con, i went myself. they said they would only take 30pound out of my acount for deposit but took an extra 60pound for bringing guests. it was anice day. but at the end when we got to view the photos, they wre so expensive 3000pounds for 55 photos or 90pounds each. this was three weeks ago and im still waiting for my deposit back despite phoning them countinously
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    I know someone who was in a similar situation. The company flattered her a lot, covered her in slap, took some flattering but cheesy photos and then she felt pressured to buy them (because the people were so nice to her and the photos made her look so pretty) and did so. I don't know if she had to pay a deposite.

Here is Coverlook's info on the government's website:
    http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/e3d00545c131f34d2ea118f2abcb4d07/compdetails
  • winniezzx
    Options
    alix y I too am trying to claim my deposit back, which I was assured would be in my account 3-4 days after the makeover. I've only emailed them so far, what have they said to you when you've phoned them? Have the promised that the refund is on its way?
  • isobelfidmont1976
    Options
    Hi all,
    reading all these reviews on coverlook being bad is no surprise. If you look at any of the studios they all say the same. I have been to three different ones now and have had great fun!
    THe first time i went to covershots international who are now gloss and had such a good day. was made to feel like a queen for a day and the photos were so nice. Yes i did fall for the sales pitch first time and ended up buying 5 but when i booked another photo shoot with a different company i knew what to expect and again had a great day but this time got my free photo and no more so that day onlly cost me my train ticket well worth it.
    I have booked with coverlook for a couple of weeks time and yes they have taken 30 each from me but i think it is worth it a red letter day (make over photoshoot) would cost more than that and what the harm in treating yourself every now and then. Yes they say you win but before i entered i knew that within a week i would get a phone call saying i had won cos i know the con now and know how to work it.
    I iwll go and have a great day and will get my free photo and if i want another one i can offset the deposit i have paid for another one and then next month booked another photo studio and do the same! this time in a year i will have lots of free photos and loads of great memories!
    Make it work in your favour and have a great time!
    THanks
    Isobel
  • isobelfidmont1976
    Options
    Hi all,
    reading all these reviews on coverlook being bad is no surprise. If you look at any of the studios they all say the same. I have been to three different ones now and have had great fun!
    THe first time i went to covershots international who are now gloss and had such a good day. was made to feel like a queen for a day and the photos were so nice. Yes i did fall for the sales pitch first time and ended up buying 5 but when i booked another photo shoot with a different company i knew what to expect and again had a great day but this time got my free photo and no more so that day onlly cost me my train ticket well worth it.
    I have booked with coverlook for a couple of weeks time and yes they have taken 30 each from me but i think it is worth it a red letter day (make over photoshoot) would cost more than that and what the harm in treating yourself every now and then. Yes they say you win but before i entered i knew that within a week i would get a phone call saying i had won cos i know the con now and know how to work it.
    I iwll go and have a great day and will get my free photo and if i want another one i can offset the deposit i have paid for another one and then next month booked another photo studio and do the same! this time in a year i will have lots of free photos and loads of great memories!
    THanks
    Isobel
  • claireyfairy3281
    Options
    i've informed livingtv, who have taken their ad off their site :)

let us know how the shoot goes Isobel
  • Alexmc12
    Alexmc12 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,
    THanks
    Isobel

You don't work for Coverlook by any chance Isobel?
  • sanjay1234
    Options
    hi there,i have been booked with coverlook studios and i went there a week ago and i had a womderful time. there are so professional and i had the best time ever, my son's pic was amazing and i bought a few. just to say thank you to all the staff there.. was great to be your winner..
    cheers

Alexmc12 wrote: »
    My 16 year old daughter was contacted 2 days ago by a company called Coverlook Studios. They told her that she had won a competition she had entered, and that she had won a makeover and hair styling worth £500. She needed me (as she is under 18) to agree to this.
    I spoke to the chap, a James Lo, who informed me that she had won this competition via the internet (my daughter is a little vague about remembering entering this particular competition!). There are no hidden costs. She would need to book to come up to an address in Oxford Circus for her treatments, she would have a professional photographer take her picture, and that she would get a photo on a CD-rom as a memento (sp?) of the day, with an option to buy other pictures at a 40% discount.

• sanjay1234
    Options
    Alexmc12 wrote: »

hi there,i have been booked with coverlook studios and i went there a week ago and i had a womderful time. there are so professional and i had the best time ever, my son's pic was amazing and i bought a few. just to say thank you to all the staff there.. was great to be your winner..
    cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport