PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cant cook! Help!

Options
Hi All

(Not posted in here much, but keep being told how great you all are....so here goes!)

Need some advice, Im now spending roughly £200 - £220 per month on groceries/household bits/pull - ups (for toddler))

Would like to reduce this down a little....under the £200 mark constantly would be great, started meal planning, spending diary, but not going brilliantly (Im a bit disorganised - there doesnt seem to be the hours in the day!!)

So a quick explanation of why(I think!) Im spending so much (there is only me & a toddler!!!)....

I come from a family of bad cooks, when i left home, only a few years ago, I had never turned an oven on, let alone cooked a meal from scratch. Growing up, my mum cooked everything from either a jar, pre-prepared or chips.

Probably because of this Im quite a fussy eater & dont like much, only recently for example have i started really eating vegetables. On top of this, I am utterly strapped for time, so meals most of the week have to be quick ones. (I tend to buy pizza's, ready meals, jacket potatoes, salads, ready made pies & veg etc etc)....even on sundays when I cook a sunday lunch, most of it (yorkies, roast potatoes etc) are frozen....

I probably sound like a lost cause to all you super mums but im not entirely hopeless ( before i had my little one, i used to cook quite a bit, that was quite good! - but even then it was expensive)

Some people have suggested "slow cookers" as a time saver, but Ive been too embarrased to say that I dont even know what one is!!!! :confused:

Ive been reading lots of posts on here for a while & most of the ideas I find are just beyond me........

So could a few people offer some basic tips, for meal planning, some ideas of quick things that I could cook cheaply?

What's a slow cooker? How does it work? & what can I cook in it?

For instance, I have never ever bought a whole chicken, but realise that it would be much cheaper than buying chicken breasts etc....But I dont buy it, because I dont know what to do with it?! :rotfl:

Can anyone help? Without falling over with laughter?

XxX

Comments

• Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    1st thing to do is to visit your local library and arm yourself with a cookbook for beginners.
    Next I would start to plan your meals a week in advance. Then you can make a list using that plan and your cookbook to take shopping. That way you are less likely to buy things you don't really need.
    A slow cooker is a piece of electrical kitchen equipment which uses only a small amount of electricity to cook meals (can't remember exactly how much). Slowly, obviously,(we're talking sometimes 8-10 hours here) which in effect means that you can use cheaper cuts of meat and it really does a great job with them. As there's just you and your wee one, you could make enough to do you for a couple of days at a time and freeze the excess.
    If I were you I'd stick to simpler meals to begin with until you gain a bit of confidence.
    Best of luck
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • mystery07
    mystery07 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    Aha! Cookbook, yes good thinking lol....& will join the libary, on my to do list for this week!

thanks.

So, if I used cheaper cuts of meat, a slow cooker would make them taste better? Ive never known of any1 with a slow cooker, until i came on here.

xxx
  • janeawej
    janeawej Posts: 808 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes a slow cooker is great if your short of time, you can prepare everything the evening before you want it then just pop it inot the slow cooker in the morning before going to work, turn it on and you have a meal ready when you get home, as there are only 2 of you I think I would cook several meals worth then freeze the extra in meal sized portions to be used at a later date, do you have a microwave? as then you can reheat your homemade ready meals very quickly, pm me if you want to chat and a few very easy recipes, and dont be embarressed we all had to start somehwere! when i am feeling complacent about my cooking i asways remember a camping trip rice diaster i made! it was so bad even the ponies who destroyed our campsite in the night and ate everything else left it after only a small lick of the pan!!Jane
    Member 1145 Sealed Pot Challenge No4 ;)
    NSD challenge not to spend anything till 2011!:rotfl:
  • Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    mystery07 wrote: »
    So, if I used cheaper cuts of meat, a slow cooker would make them taste better? Ive never known of any1 with a slow cooker, until i came on here.

xxx

That's exactly right. The l o n g s l o w cooking allows the flavours to mingle and makes cheap cuts of meat really tender. I think Argos are doing a Cookworks on special offer at the mo, and I've read some good reports about it, but have a look around for the best deal if you really want one. There is a dedicated slow cooker thread on here somewhere which may help.
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • mystery07
    mystery07 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    janeawej wrote: »
    yes a slow cooker is great if your short of time, you can prepare everything the evening before you want it then just pop it inot the slow cooker in the morning before going to work, turn it on and you have a meal ready when you get home, as there are only 2 of you I think I would cook several meals worth then freeze the extra in meal sized portions to be used at a later date, do you have a microwave? as then you can reheat your homemade ready meals very quickly, pm me if you want to chat and a few very easy recipes, and dont be embarressed we all had to start somehwere! when i am feeling complacent about my cooking i asways remember a camping trip rice diaster i made! it was so bad even the ponies who destroyed our campsite in the night and ate everything else left it after only a small lick of the pan!!Jane

Thanks very much. Yep have a microwave, so batch cooking could be a good idea, just never done it! Will Pm you 2moro, off to bed shortly. Thanks for the invitation

Jules x x x
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you buy chickens from Tesco (booohiss lol) then they have the cooking time and instructions on the packs depending on weight - very handy until you get the hang of it :) For an easy start why not put either butter and fresh herbs under the breast skin, it will taske lovelly! OR slize a lemon thinly and slide the slizes up under the breast skin and viola! Lemon chicken!
    Slowcookers are great - I did a brisket of beef in mine today after reading a thread here. Stuck it in this morning, with 1 tin of guiness that had been hanging around the house for months, some beef stock (had to resort to a knorr cobe I am ashamed to admit) and a chopped up onion, some celery and carrots. I sealed the brisket in a frying pan before sticking it in but I guess you don't HAVE to do that :) Now that Brisket I think cost me a couple of quid and both OH and I had dinner tonight and there is still 2/3rds if not 3/4ers left! So tomorrow when it's cooled down I will slice it and chop bits and freeze them. They can be used for sandwiches, beef curries, stirfries, oh just about anythign that inspires me :) Definitely something I will try again!!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Yes a slow cooker is like a casserole dish with a plug on! About a tenner in Argos I believe. You only need a small one I thin approx 3 litres. Imagine what it holds-that is like 3 cartons of orange juice. I made cottage pie in mine today. The potatoes are cooked in a saucepan as normal and the rest put in the slowcooker. I used half mince and half soya. 10 servings worked out at £3. Thats an easy dish to make and a toddler can eat that too. As its cold now, Ive just put most of it in the freezer for when Im in a hurry. I do my "big cook" on Sundays and don't spend much time cooking during the week.
    Best value chicken fresh whole is Iceland-£3.99 for a large one. Always make sure the juices run clear and test it before eating it. Never put a frozen chicken in the oven unless it has completely thawed.
    Best value chicken breast are frozen ones from Iceland. a pack of 5 for £2.50
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options

I probably sound like a lost cause to all you super mums...

I doubt it very much! If this lot can help me, then you ought to be a doddle. :p
    What's a slow cooker? How does it work? & what can I cook in it?

I vote for the slow cooker too...they're fabulous. :D

Have a look here to see my first effort with the slow cooker. It's a bit long-winded but covers a lot of questions. ;)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Try this link-the series was very helpful for a learner.
    http://www.deliaonline.com/cookery-school/
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You miight like to take a look here before choosing a book...

The Complete Old Style Book Collection

And here for slow cookers...

The Complete Slow Cooker Collection

And here for all sorts of tips...

Getting Started

HTH :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport