PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cant cook! Help!

Options
2»

Comments

• mystery07
    mystery07 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all :) - not quite in any danger of giving us food poisoning lol, whilst I might be a bit c**p Id rather over cook, than undercook!

The chicken thing is, whenever I do a sunday lunch, i alw do ays use, beef or lamb or pork, to be honest Im not really pro chicken, but my little one loves it!

The difference btwn chicken & beef etc is that it has legs stuck on the side & i dont know what to do with them etc etc........

As for iceland chicken breasts, I never ever buy any real frozen meat because it looks so cheap, which it is, but i cant stomach meat with fat, (at all) Im a lean queen & Im a size 8 to prove it! lol....no, but really, how do you make frozen chicken breasts taste nice?

Lots of other things to go on too, thanks guys, will look through all your links (may take me a while!) & see what I can come up with & post any more questions i have then

xXx
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    mystery07 wrote: »
    The difference btwn chicken & beef etc is that it has legs stuck on the side & i dont know what to do with them etc etc........

As for iceland chicken breasts, I never ever buy any real frozen meat because it looks so cheap, which it is, but i cant stomach meat with fat, (at all) Im a lean queen & Im a size 8 to prove it! lol....no, but really, how do you make frozen chicken breasts taste nice?

*cough* The legs on a chicken? Well I do what I do with say a leg of lamb... I EAT IT! :rotfl:
    I haven't bought Iceland chicken breasts either - none near me - but I have in the past bought Tescos frozen chicken breasts and I cook them just like any other chicken breast...
    Size 8? I wish!!! :o
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    I thaw the chicken breast, then I slice in halfway through and stuff them with a little cheese and a sundried tomato. Then I wrap it in bacon and put on a baking tray, cover with foil and cook on about gas mark 5 for I think about 45 mins. Well-whenever they seem cooked-I don't really time things!
    I paid a lot of money for these last year in a restaurant in Inverness. If in a hurry I just wrap them in bacon.
    When I buy a tray of ckicken legs/wings/thighs etc I sprinkle with Jamaican jerk or cajun spice or something tasty and cook these in a similar way.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • janeym8
    janeym8 Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if cooking a whole chicken,i take off all the meat into a bowl when its cooked ,use the breasts as just roast chicken but all the wee bits eg from the legs and thighs go into making a lovely chicken curry

janey xxx
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
  • madmum33
    madmum33 Posts: 635 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I hate fatty meat, I cut every scrap of fat of any meat I eat...... so why am I a size 26???? :eek: No kidding!

Chicken breasts, really easy way to make them taste great and your toddler will love it!

Take the chicken, cut slashes in the meat (not right through, you want them to stay in one piece). Put a couple of tablespoons of tomato ketchup, a splash or two of worcestershire sauce and a few garlic granules (dried and in jars from Tesco) in a bowl and mix, then drop chicken into the mix and coat well. Cook in oven proof dish for 30 minutes on gas mark 6 (not sure of the equivalent electric) - always check it's cooked through, the meat should be white, and serve with salad or rice.
  • Nneave
    Nneave Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a fussy eater, and new to cooking. I found it best to think of foods I like and use a search engine or the BBC cookery site, which allows you to search for ingredients together, to look for recipes with those items in. Once I mastered these it gave me more confidence to try other things.

I started with a basic meal plan of Breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, then simple evening meal. Mid snacks for the kids are usually yogurt or fruit with a treat once a week. I vary it more now, but a simple start was essential for me.

I'm new to a slow cooker, but on the days when I'm out all day, I throw it in at breakfast time, and dish it up when I get home. I basically throw in whatever is in the cupboard with whichever stock I fancy.

Good luck.
    Depression is well Depressing. So I go shopping. Then I realise how much debt I'm in. Then my depression hits low and so I go shopping...
  • mystery07
    Options
    *cough* The legs on a chicken? Well I do what I do with say a leg of lamb... I EAT IT!
    I haven't bought Iceland chicken breasts either - none near me - but I have in the past bought Tescos frozen chicken breasts and I cook them just like any other chicken breast...
    Size 8? I wish!!!

*cough* *cough* I hadnt thought of that :rotfl:

if cooking a whole chicken,i take off all the meat into a bowl when its cooked ,use the breasts as just roast chicken but all the wee bits eg from the legs and thighs go into making a lovely chicken curry

janey xxx

This is what I mean, Im fine cooking chicken breasts, but a whole chicken just scares me! lol, too much faff for me i think. Thanks for the tip. XxX

I hate fatty meat, I cut every scrap of fat of any meat I eat...... so why am I a size 26???? No kidding!

Chicken breasts, really easy way to make them taste great and your toddler will love it!

Take the chicken, cut slashes in the meat (not right through, you want them to stay in one piece). Put a couple of tablespoons of tomato ketchup, a splash or two of worcestershire sauce and a few garlic granules (dried and in jars from Tesco) in a bowl and mix, then drop chicken into the mix and coat well. Cook in oven proof dish for 30 minutes on gas mark 6 (not sure of the equivalent electric) - always check it's cooked through, the meat should be white, and serve with salad or rice.

Thanks for the recipe idea madmum, great idea, will definately try that one! My mum, bless her is a size 20, I make her sick, I eat about as much as she does (which isnt much, anyway!) & she can not get any slimmer, I dont even try to be slim, Im just a size 8 naturally. :D

Thanks all for recipes, will try some out. Not tonight though, I need to go to bed

XxX
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One thing I do in the slow cooker is this - very easy and good for beginners alike

BEEF STEW

4 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
    hanful of carrots peeled and chopped into chunks
    onion chopped into chunks
    a leek ( slice top off peel off outside leyer) chop into chunks
    stewing beef ( supermarkets do packs about 2 quid) ( yes it looks fatty, but dont worry the fat wont be there when you eat it)
    handful of mushrooms halved or quartered

Pile all ingredients into slow cooker
    Pour on a jug of boiling water ( like a pyrex) with 2 beef oxos crumbled in & melted
    put in a bit of black pepper ( few grinds) or a teaspoon of dried herbs ( doesnt matter if you dont have them you cn leave them out)
    put in slow cooker
    then when you get home from work look at it, and you should see that the gravy is really thin
    ladle out as much of the gravy as you can into pyrex/ similar jug ( doenst mattter if bits of veg come in to this its fine)
    put in a tablespoon heaped of plain flour & stir ( if it still looks thin gradually add little bit more flour & whizz, you dont want it too thick like gue, but rich)
    then get a hand blender eg one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haden-5961-stick-blender/dp/B0000ABC0S and whizz it in
    it shouold go nice and thick with no lumps
    pour the thickened gravy back into slow cooker
    then chuck in a handful or so of frozen peas or sweetcorn

After about 30 mins you should be ready to scoff.

this will last ages. We do one every few weeks and then have a fair amount for the freezer, which you can just reheat in a pan ( having it tonight in fact!) You can put the filling in a oven dish and put some frozen pastry on the top or you can just serve it with bread - lovely on rainy days and cheap and easy :)
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • mystery07
    Options
    Thanks Lynzpower

When I get a slowcooker will do this, as really like beef stew, but dont bother to cook it much, as get homw from work, & your waiting hours for it to cook in the oven. Bring on slowcooker.

Thanks again

xXx
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jayar wrote: »
    1st thing to do is to <snip> arm yourself with a cookbook for beginners.

Have a look in those discount bookshops for "Cooking for Blokes" - it doesn't even assume that you know how to boil an egg, and tells you everything you need to know - even when things don't go to plan!
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure