🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cost of head gasket replacement Rover 200

Options
socks_uk
socks_uk Posts: 2,813 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
I was constantly filling up water in my Rover 200 (S plate) and then the fan started to continue to run after switching off the engine so took in into the garage I usually use.

They said it's the head gasket and it'll be off the road for 2 or 3 days and will cost £350 (Lincolnshire area) but someone at work, and not a machanic, said it's a bit steep because a new gasket would only be about £15 to buy, plus fitting costs.

Don't know if to take it to another garage now. :confused:

Any mechanics out there got any advice for me?

Thanks,
Jill
DEBT FREE BY 60
Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
Debt at May 2022 = £5268
Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024

Comments

• rrwfotr
    rrwfotr Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    I think your work mate might be living in dream land. The actual part that seals that gasket is most prob £15 -30. However the major work is when a head gasket goes it basically makes a leak inside the top of the gasket therefore what the garage usally have to do is take the engine head or geasket of and shave the top of the engine head off where the head gasket is and then remount the top gasket part to the body. The main cost would be the labour for the mechanic to take the engine apart and then shave the top part and then remount to part of the gasket.

Did you use or change the liquid coolant as usally the gasket goes if the coollant has not been changed or some time etc. If you just kept on toping it up with water then the car would of just of kept of heating the engine without cooling the fan would of tried of keeping the engine cool and then one day the gasket would of just gone.
  • socks_uk
    Options
    rrwfotr wrote:
    Did you use or change the liquid coolant as usally the gasket goes if the coollant has not been changed or some time etc. If you just kept on toping it up with water then the car would of just of kept of heating the engine without cooling the fan would of tried of keeping the engine cool and then one day the gasket would of just gone.

I guess the short answer is no.

I know your supposed to check oil and water regularly but if the water is low I just add water. I have to admit I don't know much about car maintenence (but neither does my hubby - I remind him to check oil and water).

I suppose I'd better start paying for a winter service - would adding anti-freeze and coolant be part of this?

Garages love people like me who don't have a clue.

Jill
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
  • mikey-mike_2
    Options
    if you can use a screwdriver you can add anti-freeze, if they replace the head gasket they will add anti-freeze as a matter of course

Only ever take water filler cap off or dismantle cooling system when the engine is cool

undo one of the jubilee clips on a water hose low down on the engine. Pull the hose off, take the water filler cap off and let the water drain. (optional step, stick a hose in where the filler cap came off and let it run to wash any crap out of the engine)

When all the water has drained, replace hose, tighten clip, add 3 or 4 litres of anti-freeze, top up with water, replace cap and go for a drive. Allow engine to cool and top up water if necessary. Check water level again next day and again in a few days.

Congratulate hubby on a job well done

Top tip…..Buy a gallon of anti-freeze from your local motor factors (see yellow pages)
  • socks_uk
    Options
    mikey-mike wrote:

Congratulate hubby on a job well done

QUOTE]

You're talking to the wo'man' of the house here. We seem to have a bit of a role reversal in our house. I do most DIY jobs around here. I think he deliberately c*cks things up so I 'do' them properly! But cars are one thing I've not got to grips with yet.

I've 'copy & pasted' your instuctions and saved them for future reference.

Thanks again,

Jill
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
  • mikey-mike_2
    Options
    .......I think he deliberately c*cks things up so I 'do' them properly.......

I tried that but she’s too clever to fall for it apart from the washing.....

welsh rugby shirt + hot wash + baby clothes = lifetime ban from laundry duties (or at least 20 years and counting)
  • rjh090384
    rjh090384 Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the headgasket blew on my car and if you were to take ti to a mechanice they normally charge £80 an hour labour +vat and it is a couple of hour job. but the actualy part cost no more than £40 or less i think.
    i was lucky future fil was a mechanic so free for me!!"
    love you lots like jelly tots :o
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £350 is a good price. Sure, the gasket itself costs about £15-20 at a motor factors, but fitting it involves a couple of hours of work.
    Happy chappy
  • northern_munky
    Options
    These Rovers are notorious for head gasket problems, £350 is a good price but you need to know what you are getting for the money. As well as the gasket, the head bolts and dowels should always be renewed, the head should be skimmed. Cheap gaskets will fail again within no time, Land Rover did some mods to the Freelander because these were also failing (new gasket from Landrover dealer £23). The Freelander gasket also fits the 200 series Rover. There is also a modified lower engine mounting rail (£28 available from Land Rover). Official time for this job 4.3 hours.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    With an S reg Rover 200, I'd check the value of the car before paying £350 (which is a reasonable price btw).

If the car is in top condition, fix it, If it's starting to show it's age, sell it on or scrap it.

:)

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • blue_haddock
    blue_haddock Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    Options
    As northern munky says don't just change the head gasket - the head will need to be skimmed and also the stretch bolts will need changing too. Make sure that the garage that does the work do this work as well as the gasket itself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport