Piadine - Cheap OS meal

Thought I'd share this with the OS board. Piadine is an Italian unleavened flat bread, a bit like fahjita's (spelling?) or pitta. I had tried them in Italy and really enjoyed them so thought I'd have a crack at making them myself at home with great success (and I'm not the best cook in the world)!

They are ultra cheap to make, tasty, satisfying, and very very easy to knock up (especially if you have a bread maker):

Ingredients for 4 piadines:
175g of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
15ml of olive oil
105ml of luke warm water

Method:
Put all ingredients in the breadmaker on the pizza dough setting (or equivalent), or into a bowl and make up into a dough by hand and leave for 20 minutes. Then cut into four and roll into pancakes. Cook them in a big pan on medium/high heat for 2 minutes with a splash of olive oil then turn (the bread shoud have dark brown spots on it). Throw on some filling and continue to cook for another minute. Fold in half and transfer to a warm oven or plate up and serve one by one. Add salad as you serve if using.

Beautiful! Filling can be anything you like. Cheese and tomato, spinach and ricotta, ham, chicken and mayo, sauage, left over chicken or veg... Or anything else to hand - the worlds your oyster!

This is a image of what they look like at the end. Yours should look a lot nicer:

piadine.jpg
threadbanner.gif
SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"

Comments

• gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Those sound really delicious, we will definitely try them. Thanks!
  • rosy
    rosy Posts: 642 Forumite
    Can I ask, do you use strong bread flour for these and when you make up the dough sdo you knead it like you would for bread? I'm drooling looking at these, must give them a go!
  • rosy wrote:
    Can I ask, do you use strong bread flour for these and when you make up the dough sdo you knead it like you would for bread? I'm drooling looking at these, must give them a go!

The original recipe calls for unbleached white flour, but I normally use my bread maker flour as I've usually got plenty of that in and its fine, no problems at all. Infact I cant remember what the difference is with plain flour as I've mostly used bread maker.

Yes, just knead like you would ordinary dough.
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    After reading this recipe last night, decided to make some. Used bread maker. I wish I had doubled quantity, as I would think they will freeze well. Brilliant, easy to make, and very tasty. I used Lidl bread flour.
    I had a small amount of diced cooked veg which I had used for a pasta sauce the previous night, added some mozerrela, mixed them up with a bit of lemon juice, and lemon zest. Also added a bit of homemade mango chutney. One of the nicest, quickest tastest meals I have had for a while.
    Very similar to chappatis so would be really good with curry.
    So thanks again HappyIdiotTalk - this will be one I shall make over and over again.
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,718
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Well I never!

I'm Italian born and bred, but I never heard of Piadine! Then again, there are soooo many different regional dishes in Italy that I don't even know half of them!

Thanks for that Happy! :)
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Why do they need to be made in a breadmaker if they are unleavened ? :)
  • thriftlady wrote:
    Why do they need to be made in a breadmaker if they are unleavened ? :)

Eerrrmmm ok hands up :confused: its because I'm lazy, washing the breadmaker pan is a lot easier than doing all the kneading by hand!! :rotfl:

Incidentally, I made some last night with plain flour to see if there is any difference to breadmaker flour. To be honest I couldn't tell any difference at all. I'm sure there probably is a difference but its to subtle to discern without doing a side by side test.

I'm please people are liking them, it feels good to give something back to the community!
    quasar wrote:
    I'm Italian born and bred, but I never heard of Piadine! Then again, there are soooo many different regional dishes in Italy that I don't even know half of them!

I couldn't tell you which region they are from. I'll ask my Italian borther in law when he's over at Christmas. He's from Calabria in the south, but lives in Bologna in the north so they could be from anywhere. And the one's he made where out of a packet - cant wait to trump him with my HM versions when he's over!

Incidentally I worship the sun, tomato's are my desert island food, and I could eat pasta until it came out my ears - which obviously means I was Italian in a past life! And if I have my way we'll be going to live there in a few years time. Just got to convince the wife!

[Edited: to include reply to Quasar]
  • I've just found a recipe for them in this book Crazy water Pickled Lemons by Diana Henry (lots of lovely mediterranean and middle Eastern food). She calls them piadina - is piadine the plural ? She says they come from the Emilia-Romagna region ;) She suggests using them as an alternative pizza base as well as a wrap. In her recipe they are topped with caramelised onions, walnuts and taleggio. Sound yummy.

Thanks for bringing them to our attention Happy. I'm off to try some:T
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had a go at making something similar without bm a while ago, but the kneading in the bread maker is so much easier, the dough seems more pliable. I made some more last night, and doubled the quantity. Wrapped the spares in cling film, and am going to freeze them - I'll let you know when I use them from the freezer.
  • Wow, these look great. Thanks a lot. I've been meaning to try a bread-making recipe for a wrap-type flat bread for ages. I only buy them when they are on offer (Sainsbury's at present, £1.35 for two packs). I wonder if you could dry-fry them, or even do them in the oven?

For anyone wanting to make them into canapes over Christmas (rolled and then cut into little filled circles) there are instructions and recipes on missiondeliwraps.co.uk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure