PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Weetabix Brownies

Options
MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I found this post and it looked so good, I wanted to put it in the weekly e-mail. As it was in the middle of a thread I've cut and pasted it into its own one. Yet let me say it belongs to jaxxy00 and all the credit is hers (his?).

Martin

Post By jaxxy00

How to make Weetabix Brownies

Im not sure how they are normally made but my recipe comes from a lady who was doing the refreshments at a community centre jumble sale me and my sister went to one year. We had a cuppa and one of the brownies and they were really yummy so we asked were they got them from and the lady said shed made them and gave us the recipe. I wrote it on a scrappy bit of paper that i still have and use now.

In a bowl put
4 crushed weetabix
4oz caster sugar
4oz self raising flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
pkt chocolate drops (i use a 25p 100g tescos own milk chocolate chopped up)

mix this altogether

then take 4oz of melted marg and stir this into the mixture along with an egg

mix well and put in a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes at electric 180.

I put this mix into a square tin which measures 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches. I suppose you could use anything a similar size it would just turn out a bit more or less deeper. I also line the tray with greaseproof paper to save any sticking. Once out the oven let it stand for about 5 minutes then turn out the tray and cut into squares.

Enjoy!!! if you get chance before everyone else takes them.
threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    they sound really yummy,may have to give them a go :)
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i made these the other day and just as a heads up- dont bother to do them in a loaf tin if thats the only tin you happen to have as i did :doh: they didnt set and all collapsed. Still ate them though, but rubbish for the lunchboxes, so I just scoffed them to myself at home, well it would be a shame to waste- obviously!
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I made them last week, and cooked them in my 12 cup bun tin (i also use that tin for my yorkies!!!). I just put a spoonful in each cup, and they came out lovely!!!
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yeah we have had these too, they are chocolicious. Especially eaten as a pud with cream!!!!!!
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    I did them a while ago and they were great. I spread them in the oblong tray I use for flapjacks,
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • annie12
    annie12 Posts: 789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    These are fab....which reminds me, I need to make some tomorrow! :D
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never liked weetabix, so why oh why did I buy a packet of oatibix? the power of advertising I guess! (when I was little I remember buying a bounty bar cos the advert said it was the taste of paradise, I can still feel the disappointment of finding out it just tasted of coconut)

this recipe should be great for using them up
    weaving through the chaos...
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    phizzimum wrote:
    I've never liked weetabix, so why oh why did I buy a packet of oatibix? the power of advertising I guess!

this recipe should be great for using them up

Spooky coincidence - I was just thinking exactly the same thing! :rotfl:
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They are really nice, my DH loves them ! I bake mine in a flattish tin (flapjack type tin) and they come out fine!:D
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • Strepsy
    Strepsy Posts: 5,651 Forumite
    Options
    Do they have the nice crispy top? I too have some Oatibix to use up. lol.

I tried the brownie recipe from the Be-ro cookbook but the top wasn't quite right, though they were yummy.
    I've been lucky, I'll be lucky again. ~ Bette Davis
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family