wood burning stoves

Options
Anybody had any experience with buying a wood burning stove off ebay. I installed a stove in my last house and it cost about £600 several years ago. Weve moved and I intend to put one in here. There's several on ebay, new for between £200 - £300 in particular the Aspect Mk 2 and Tiger stoves. Seem a bit cheap anybody had one?

Comments

• bltchef
    bltchef Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    hi just got one 3 weeks ago natural heating it very nice i was unsure but posted on the diy board like the stove but got stung on the flue pipes I got Elite Cast Iron Stove, 12kw
    you coul try these link good luck:D
    http://naturalheating.co.uk/
    http://www.nef.org.uk/logpile/
  • Janey51
    Janey51 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are probably sorted by now but we got a multi fuel burner off EBay ...firm was Natural Heating as mentioned by last poster.
    All in it cost £380 delivered. Its suitable for a large sitting room (ours is 17x13). When we learnt how to use it properly it went great! Its the sole source of heating we use in the winter apart from about an hour with a calor gas heater until the burner gets into full swing.
    Hope you enjoy yours.
  • ronnyb_2
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, no I haven't got one yet. In fact I haven't even got round to taking the old fireplace out yet! This is what happens when you're renovating a place. Hopefully it'll be in situ before the winter. I've seen the naturalheatingco on ebay maybe give them a try.
  • John_3:16
    Options
    more important get your wood sorted
    The measure of love is love without measure
  • girlsmum
    girlsmum Posts: 470 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    just butting in on this thread sorry, i have been looking at getting one and seen some nice ones on ebay too, but what i want to know is how do you install them, is it a job for a professional or can someone with a bit of sense do it
    Options
    Go to a fireplace shop that sell the stoves and get someone out to give you a quote. Pick there brains about chimney and what they need to do get sorted, then get the price and see if you can do it any better.

We had someone in to finnish off eg put the stove in with registry plate and pipes etc. (Did all the building work etc myself or local builder) we have somewhere to go if we have a problem. Look into how much wood and what type you can get. Its not always a case of burning anything. There is plenty of info on some other threads.
  • Janey51
    Janey51 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I believe that, legally, you are required to have the stove installed by a qualified person as its something to do with Building Regs (this is Scotland, not sure if England is the same). However, my husband installed ours and its fine....we'll plead ignorance if asked but as we live in the middle of nowhere, thats unlikely.;)
    As John 3:16 says, getting a good log supply is paramount. We used to fell our own trees but this year we did buy some well seasoned hardwood which the supplier cut to length and then my husband chopped. I stacked and get a great thrill out of seeing the huge pile of neat logs we have!
    Bring on the frost and snow:D
  • girlsmum
    girlsmum Posts: 470 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    roughly how much does fittong cost then?
    I know it depends on how much work, but a rough guide would give me an idea

Thanks
  • ronnyb_2
    Options
    I installed the one at my last house and it was relatively straightforward. You need a plate about 6 inches up the chimney above the stove. This was made out of an asbestos type material about 3/8" thick. Obviously it's not asbestos but it looked like it. Can't remember what it was called. Cut a hole in it for the flue to go through and a second smaller hole for the brush to go through when the chimney needs cleaning. This second hole is covered by the piece you've removed from it held in place by a slightly larger piece attached to it and behind it. I fastened the plate to the sides of the chimney using a couple of pieces of angle iron. All the gaps were sealed with fire cement and that was it.
    Options
    You will probaly pay about£200 if he has to come and just put it in. If he has to build a hearth and open the fireplace up more than expect to pay more
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport