MSE News: Nationwide limits overseas withdrawals for cash card holders

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The society's cash card customers will no longer be able to use their plastic to withdraw currency overseas from summer ..."

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• southoftheriver
    Options
    This is frustrating for me because I have a cash card which I use abroad, and would like to upgrade to the flexaccount with Visa debit but it keeps rejecting my application! I have not tried for just over a year now but my credit score is excellent and there are no problems with my file as I have checked it with experian.

I'll try again in a month or two and see if they finally let me upgrade my account.
    Current debt: M&S £0(£2K) , Tesco £0 (£1.5K), Car loan 6K (paid off!) Barclaycard £1.5K (interest free for 18 months)
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Instead of trying the upgrade route, apply for a new flex account instead. My wife had a cash card account and we went into a branch to get it upgraded. The computer said no so we went home and applied online for a flex account and was accepted straight away so its worth a shot.
  • jinkssick
    jinkssick Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks KTF. Same story for me, rejected.

:(

Its also a money making scheme as the Flexaccount will allow you to go overdrawn whilst abroad. And you are not allowed to put a cap whilst your on your hols.

The cashcard was great seeing as it will only allow you to withdraw positive balance on your account.

Save saynoto0870.com in your favorites, and stop giving companies more £££ dialling 0870 numbers when you can dial freephones or cheaper alternatives
    call your credit card company, tell them that you want to leave, 99% of the time theyll lower your APR%
    Remember when that Bank Manager or Salesperson smiles at you, all he sees is £ notes. Dont forget the motto, "the wider their grin, the more debt your in"
  • dov
    dov Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If applying for a new Flexaccount doesn't work then you could apply for a joint account with someone who has a Flexaccount already or is likely to be accepted. This has worked in the past for a close relative.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    jinkssick wrote: »
    Thanks KTF. Same story for me, rejected.

Its also a money making scheme as the Flexaccount will allow you to go overdrawn whilst abroad. And you are not allowed to put a cap whilst your on your hols.

The cashcard was great seeing as it will only allow you to withdraw positive balance on your account.

Thats not difficult to avoid though is it? You know how much is in your account and you keep a tab on how much you withdraw abroad
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jinkssick wrote: »

Well aside from the obvious which has already been pointed out, what if you need money in an emergency which would make you overdrawn. With the cash card you couldn't.
  • southoftheriver
    Options
    KTF wrote: »
    Instead of trying the upgrade route, apply for a new flex account instead. My wife had a cash card account and we went into a branch to get it upgraded. The computer said no so we went home and applied online for a flex account and was accepted straight away so its worth a shot.

Thank you, I will give that a try. :)
    Current debt: M&S £0(£2K) , Tesco £0 (£1.5K), Car loan 6K (paid off!) Barclaycard £1.5K (interest free for 18 months)
  • williham
    williham Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Options
    As a Nationwide member I can see that these accounts do not benefit the Society directly. I concede that they may be a stepping stone to a full flexaccount but the evidence (of this great forum) is that they are used by and large as a secondary account at holiday time.

We hear how great First Direct, Barclays etc are. All of these organisations levy charges on customers on their main account holders. Why should Nationwide subsidise those who have no interest (in the widest sense of the word) in the Society for a majority of the year?
    Because without us Nationwide just wouldn't have many customers :p

They're already got their own strategy of luring the customers in with free withdrawals abroad then offering £75 to switch their banking to them (although this is subject to some abuse).

I'm sure they'll be fine ;)
  • student89
    student89 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    hey, as this is my first post/question i am hoping i am doing it right.
    Anyway, i am planning on spending my summer (before university) in malia, crete. After reading MSE articles and discussion area I applied for a nationwide debit card (0% load etc etc). i was refused. i checked my experian credit report and was told that my score, out of 999, was infact 999. i asked why i was refused and they informed me it was a low credit rating.
    anyway, i got the cash card. and now have just found out (via this website) that i can nolonger withdraw on that card.
    i have a silver account with lloyds tsb (listed as a debit card from hell to use abroad). however, i acn geta free travel money card from lloyds because of this. is this now my best option as i doubt i will be accepted for any of the credit cards or debit cards infact based on rejections for both the flex account and a halifax student account.
    i realise this is a long post. im sorry but im really worried about how much withdrawing the money abroad may cost me + why i get rejected for things when i never miss payments and have been given loans/credit before etc)
    thankyou
  • c-m
    c-m Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm going away on 11th June.

does this change take place for all holders from 1st June or does it only start when you receive your new Cash Card?

I imagine Nationwide will make sure that those who've used their card abroad will be the 1st to receive the new card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure