Great Free Things to Do With The Kids Hunt

The summer holidays are nearly upon us and if you're tearing your hair out at the thought of entertaining your kids for six long weeks, here's a bit of help. I'd like to tap MoneySavers wealth of knowledge to come up with some free things to keep the little 'uns entertained. Whether it's indoor or outdoor activities, games that can be downloaded from the net or free places to visit.

Click reply to post your ideas.
threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    Royal Botanical Gardens - Edinburgh
    Duck Pond, Arthur's Seat - Edinburgh
    Museum of Childhood - Edinburgh

Local Park - ANYWHERE!:D
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Penny-Pincher!! vbmenu_register("postmenu_2461577", true);
    Mad Maverick MoneySaving Maniac
    rating_4.gif

image.html?u=41445&dateline=1151519020

icon5.gifFreebie Days Out For The Kids Holidays!! Lets List Them!!
    Thought it might be an idea to list different places people could visit with the childrens school holidays imminent:eek: :eek: :eek: Maybe we can state where they are too, so that they can be referenced easily IYSWIM:confused:

The places I know of are:

National Gallery-London
    Science Museum-London
    Tate Gallery-London
    Natural History Museum-London
    National Potrait Gallery-London
    Museum Of London-London
    Victoria & Albert Museum-London
    British Museum-London

Tubes in London are now free for the under 11's and buses in London are free for all children under the age of 16-ID may be required if children look older.

We normally take a packed lunch with us as the prices in these places are normally very expensive!

Many Thanks!!

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Princessa_2
    Princessa_2 Posts: 805
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    http://www.alnwickcastle.com/index.php

We went here last Summer, I don't know if they charge now but it was free then. It's got lovely gardens to have a walk around, and it's also where they filmed Harry Potter (it's hogwarts!) so fun for the kids (and why I went, lol!)
  • National Football Museum
    Deepdale Preston North End FC

Unbelievable collection of the finest football artifacts ever ......

DONT MISS THIS !

:j
  • hobo28
    hobo28 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    Markeaton Park - Derby
    National War Museum - Salford
    Heaton Park - Manchester
    Ripley Water Gardens - Ripley, derbyshire
    Pennington Flash - Leigh, Wigan

As usual tho, car parking fees apply
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Margam park - Port talbot http://www.neath-porttalbot.gov.uk/margampark/ ( free entry just pay car parking £2 a day )

Bryngarw Park - Bridgend - http://www.bridgend.gov.uk/Web1/groups/bryngarwhouse/documents/marketing/003622.hcsp as above for parking charges

Tredegar park - Newport http://www.ukattraction.com/south-wales/tredegar-park.htm

Amelia Trust farm - no fixed entry ,but donations welcome http://www.ameliatrust.org.uk/

Cardiff Bay barrage - sand pit & play park http://www.cardiffharbour.com/barrage/todo.htm

St Fagans museum of welsh life http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/stfagans/ car parking £2.50 a day
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Edinburgh, https://www.cowparade-edinburgh.co.uk

As the holidays are already here in Scotland there is still time to spot and photograph all 94 cows before they leave the streets on 23 July:)

We bought day tickets for the bus and spent the afternoon on Friday spotting some 60 odd in varying areas of the town.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    MSE_Martin wrote:
    .... I'd like to tap MoneySavers wealth of knowledge to come up with some free things to keep the little 'uns entertained. Whether it's indoor or outdoor activities, games that can be downloaded from the net or free places to visit.

I'm going to emphasise that you check out your local Tourist Information Board and Library too - often they have leaflets promoting events which are free or some which include money off vouchers to local attractions.

Days Out Uk - is a website which sometimes has vouchers for places, worth checking.

Real Days Out - is another searchable database, giving a idea of prices (including free entry attractions)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For printables and art & crafts ideas and a whole host of other stuff, check out:-

Family Fun

Kids Domain - Summer Boredom Busters

Rainy Day Fun and Boredom Busters

Holiday Boredom Busters

Summer Craft Activities
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Scarlett1
    Scarlett1 Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    you're local beach with a bucket and spade :T
  • Sallys_Savings
    Sallys_Savings Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    There are many animal rescue centres that let you look around for a small donation...i.e. woodgreen animal shelter at Godmanchester.

Cycle routes around reservoirs/nature reserves.

Check out if your local council are holding any holiday schemes.

Look for ideas at your local leisure centre...there are the normal football / hockey / swimming courses etc but also there may be offers. Ours offer the badminton / squash / and gym for 14-16 year olds a half price rate if used between 9 and 5 in the school holidays

Is there a play bus visiting?.....Some villages in our area have a mobile skate park visit.

Some places/sports have a try it free day, so keep an eye in the local newspapers....we've tryed archery, canoeing and pottery this way.

Group up with other families for a fun/sports afternoon in the park. It gets the community together and lets your little ones have a great time too. :)

Go pond dipping

Go on a wellie walk if it rains.....mine have always loved this..letting them get as wet as they like :)

Arts/crafts....make own skittles from drink bottles, paper mache pigs, make up play dough or slime using cornflour and water,

Visit your local library..they have lots of books with ideas as well as having story time/sing alongs and other events going on in the holidays at a really cheap price. (ours has magicians, snake visits, etc)

Google on the internet for crafts/arts

Have a dress up day....through all bits and pieces together and make up fancy dress. Even if its with old newspapers, scissors and sellotape.

Cooking......whether its cookies and cakes or a meal..its always fun

Our local museum is free for residents in the town..so maybe yours is too.

Let your children loose with a digital camera and see what images they can come up with on a walk/visit/even just in the house.
    They could make up a game ..taking photos of close up objects in the house and other people have to guess what they are.

Get all the old photographs out and go down memory lane...if they arent in photo albums yet let your children arrange them into albums.

Watch old home made videos/dvds.

Make old fashioned tents in the garden with sheets, poles, garden forks, washing line, clothes horses, pegs etc.

Paint or chalk the paving slabs (make sure they can be brushed off after with an old broom and water)

Wash the car...mine always loved doing this and getting as wet as anything..it always ended up in a water fight :)

Go swimming.

Local nature reservoirs often have special spotting afternoons/days..so contact them and see.

If they're old enough get them to make up their own magazine..interview neighbours, relatives, local sports news, photographs/drawings, birthday greetings etc. etc.

make up your own treasure hunt, or the older children make one up for the younger ones.

Cycle rides...perhaps get the children to use mapquest so they have to follow instructions?

I always had a list of things to do and places to go at the begining of the holidays so if boredom stepped in there was always something different up my sleeve rather than putting me on the spot. So have a look in the library and talk to other mums for ideas too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure