🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

can we charge the NHS??

Options
Hi our baby recieved his letter asking him to come into the doctors for his injections, I took the morning off of work to take him in for his injections, loosing A mornings pay, appointment was set for 11am, we got there at 10:55 and sat down waiting, 20mins went past so we checked with receptionist and she didnt have a clue what she was doing and didnt know how to use the computer or phones but said she would find out why we have been waiting for so long, after 45mins the nurse come out and took us into the room to tell us that it was too early for his injections and that we should not have been asked to go in, also found out that the admin realised that it was too early for the injections so they just deleted us off the system but didnt bother telling us.....NHS wasting our time and I lost money as I could have been at work.

Does anyone know if there is any way we could get some compensation for loss of earnings as If you miss an appointment and waste there time they would be the first to charge you.

Thanks

Kev

Comments

• Bowling_4_Gold
    Options
    How much did you lose?
    The quickest way to become a millionaire is start off as a billionaire and go into the airline business.
    Richard Branson
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 February 2010 at 2:33AM
    Options
    If you miss an appointment and waste there time they would be the first to charge you.

Kev
    I bet they don't charge people who miss an appointment. Would you rather they gave you baby the immunisations too soon? Perhaps you should keep track of when they should be given. Unfortunately, I've thanked you in error.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would definitely write to the doctor's surgery telling them how annoyed you are at having lost a day's pay, and whether they are willing to either reimburse you for the lost earnings, or arrange the next appointment to an out of hours one, where you then won't have to lose half a day of pay.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    How much are you paying for these injections? How much are you paying the GP/ nurse/ receptionist for their time?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • pitkin2020
    pitkin2020 Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sure you could sue the doctors for wasting your time, after you had to take time off work, losing pay and fuel, parking etc. You might get a few hundred pounds at the most, yet it will cost the NHS a lot more. So when your childs injections are due I would expect them to charge you, like you are trying to charge them for your time!!!

Remember the NHS budget is already over stretched and people making stupid little claims adds to a lot of money being taken out of the budget that could be used for better services and equipment.

Its a mistake it happens, let it go and move on!!!
    Everyones opinion is the most important.....no wonder nothing is ever agreed on.
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Options
    Got to be a wind-up.

If not - OP, you are a sad person. Your comment "Does anyone know if there is any way we could get some compensation" really sums up all that is wrong with the country we live in.
  • Makeandsave
    Makeandsave Posts: 3,793 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    StuntmanKev you have to be joking? If you do sue them then you should pay for everything you have for free of the NHS! I have been for appointments and waited 2 hours at the end of the day it is FREE and i am not moaning. I guess if you were in the USA and had to pay then you would be moaning about paying. SHAME ON YOU.
    Jan Wins: .
  • winnie81
    winnie81 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Options
    Unbelievable! I am grateful for the free care we receive and so should you!
    Wife to a great husband and mum to 4 fantastic kids 9,8,4,3 they drive me mad but I would do anything and give everything for my family :grinheart
  • bcl999
    bcl999 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know what your surgery opening hours are but if you explain to them maybe they could arrange the vaccinations appointment at a time when you're not at work. Avoids any unpleasantness and you wouldn'thave any further salary loss.
  • Equaliser123
    Options
    Here's the thing. Our daughter (our first baby) was born 5 weeks early on Saturday morning. She is still in hospital with my wife.

They should have come out yesterday. However, the paediatrician (only 1 on shift for a busy maternity department) was engaged in "multiple emergencies" including a little baby who suffered cardiac arrest after being born.

Absolutely rightly, discharging patients was low priority. However, we've now been waiting over 24 hours to be discharged.

Whilst frustrating, we totally understand that the NHS has limited resources and doesn't always work "perfectly". To penalise a system that does the best it can with limited resources is utterly stupid and counter-productive.

OP - try and remember that if ever you are in a life threatening position the NHS will do its utmost for you. I would suggest you try and get some perspective on life and what matters.

I don't think you have at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family