Great ‘Take care of your wardrobe’ Hunt

MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
MSE Staff
edited 29 September 2009 at 5:43PM in Old style MoneySaving
Looking after your clothes carefully means less cash on new outfits. So we want to tap MoneySavers for practical tips on keeping their wardrobe pristine, whether it’s cleaning, fixing or dying.

How do you polish scruffy shoes, store posh frocks and revive battered handbags? As an example, salvage old flip flops by soaking them Daz for 10 mins, and scrubbing them with an old toothbrush; the results are like a Cillit Bang advert!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• well my fave is to polish my shoes with a banana skin (inside mushy bit!) shiny and lovely

*disclaimer* i only use it on dark leather shoes * * *

i also use cedar wood in my wardrobe and draws to keep moths at bay, only needs a light sand every couple of months to keep the little blighters at bay!

ioiwe :)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Stuff wet shoes or boots with newspaper. After a few hours remove, and if it's wet, then replace with fresh. Boots dry far quicker this way :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • borokat
    borokat Posts: 302
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Stretch shoes which are too tight or leather too stiff by stuffing with wet newspaper and leaving somewhere warm to dry.
  • If you have a dress and the top is a bit tatty unpick at the waist then use the top to make a waistband you then have a skirt from something you would probably throw out.
    I use vaseline on shoes to help waterproof them and give them a good buff for a brilliant shine.
    If you do throw out any clothes always remove the buttons and zips first and use them for other projects.
    Learn to knit - you can make all sorts of things and hand knitting really does last longer and is warmer than anything you can buy in a shop.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 6 October 2009 at 6:57PM
    I polish my boots with potato peelings. It's perfect for the legs where I hate having to use ordinary polish and brush up, as you only need to wipe with a soft cloth when dry. I always put old magazines in them to keep the shape too.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    An Old Style saying that is very true... 'A stitch in time saves nine'

If you notice that something is fraying or needs repairing, fix it sooner rather than later because if you leave it, it will be a much bigger job.

Pink
  • Noggin_the_Nog_2
    Noggin_the_Nog_2 Posts: 57 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2009 at 5:07PM
    A fabric debobbler such as the D-Fuzz-It comb only costs about a pound from haberdashers (and you can often get them on Ebay). You drag them across your bobbly jumpers to make them look like new - very effective!
  • I haven't got a huge amount of wardrobe space so once the weather gets cooler I pack away all the summer clothes that I have hanging in there into plastic crates and stash them out of the way on top out of sight.

That way I've got room to hang my winter clothes without them getting squashed.

I do the same at the end of winter when I pack away my cold weather stuff and hang up my warmer weather clothes.

It's a good opportunity to check the clothes over.....and to think whether I actually wore it last year.....if not, do I really need it?
  • Mrs_Thrify
    Mrs_Thrify Posts: 1,673
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Aw... A new topic on the clothes in your wardrobe.

My tip is to have a good sort out every few months and take a carrier bag or two to the charity bins.
    I splash out when I find a good deal in the sales/ on line shops.

Some clothes I keep for longer than others, it depends if it is a favourite, what shop it came from, how decorative or seasonal it is.

Coat hangers play a good part, we have a mixture = plastic for hanging wet washing on, wooden ones, trouser/skirt hangers. My favourite was a pack I bought that when you hang your clothes on they never fall off. They are blue with some kind of special coating.
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind?
    Spring begins on 21st March.
  • Frugalista
    Frugalista Posts: 1,738
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I bought a load of Ikea plastic shoe trees (approx 99p per set) and keep them in all my best shoes. Stops them getting squashed and mis-shapen in the bottom of the wardrobe.
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure