Great 'Best Value Cabin Luggage' Hunt

MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
MSE Staff
edited 1 September 2009 at 2:36PM in Flights, currency & car hire
What’s this about?

Taking hand luggage only makes budget flying cheaper, as so far none charge for it. Though there is usually a 10Kg weight limit (see Budget Airline Fee-Fighting for the different allowances).

So we want to tap MoneySavers for tips on the cheapest, lightest cabin luggage available. Remember it will need to pass the size test at check-in; easyJet & Ryanair have allow a max of 55cm high, 40cm wide and 20cm deep.

This was inspired by a company called Flylite, which sent us one of its small-size cabin bags. Can you find one cheaper and lighter?

Big pockets help beat weight limits ...

Plus if you know of any cheap coats with big pockets, which you can stuff with extra weight, post 'em too. As an example, MoneySaver terry227 came up with the ingenious idea of wearing an engineers’ coat as they come with so many pockets (looks like these).

What to do

If you have tips on the perfect cabin luggage, then click reply and let other MoneySavers know. Please include how much it is, how much it weights and a link to the item if possible.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    "Whilst his children may well have been dying of acute embarrassment, bob was fair chuffed with himself for stuffing his big hat with underwear and saving himself £7 in baggage fees"

............hat-02.jpg
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Hahahaha, my first laugh of the day - thanks Tojo! :D
  • Noggin_the_Nog_2
    Noggin_the_Nog_2 Posts: 57 Forumite
    edited 28 August 2009 at 10:29AM
    I've found a couple of bags that are just within those dimensions, to make the most of your allowance. First, I found this bag (garish, touristy picture of Tower Bridge on it, so awful that surely no-one will try to steal it; H 45cm, W 40 cm, D 17cm) on Ebay for £2.50 incl p&p (can "buy it now" and more than 10 available so probably have loads) - looks very light but described as "heavy duty". Second, and a bit more substantial, Amazon have a rucksack (loads more comfortable to carry, H=46cm W=36cm D=14cm, 520g) for £14.15 incl. p&p.

I'm all in favour of hand luggage only - no hanging about in queues, etc. - also, I don't care what I look like on holiday so am happy not carrying loads of stuff to get dressed up in!
  • hbc1981
    hbc1981 Posts: 58 Forumite
    I think there is something key to note here, and that's the fact that you are still only allowed to take liquids in containers 100ml or smaller in clear containers into the cabin at the moment.

As a result, if you want to take any decent sized toiletries etc on holiday with you, it's probably worth paying the cost for one bag of hold baggage.

For most people and especially a whole family, the cost of one piece of hold baggage will work out cheaper than buying the toiletries at the destination.
  • Marg
    Marg Posts: 2,189
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Good idea to research this issue for anyone wanting light hand luggage.
  • "I think there is something key to note here, and that's the fact that you are still only allowed to take liquids in containers 100ml or smaller in clear containers into the cabin at the moment.

As a result, if you want to take any decent sized toiletries etc on holiday with you, it's probably worth paying the cost for one bag of hold baggage.

For most people and especially a whole family, the cost of one piece of hold baggage will work out cheaper than buying the toiletries at the destination" from hbc1981

Why not buy all full sized toiletries when you have gone through into departures!!!!!
  • jujugaboo
    jujugaboo Posts: 4,246
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have got a small hand luggage case which I have taken on Easyjet and Ryanair flights with no problems but on a recent trip flying with Flybe my case and my friends cases did not fit in the overhead lockers - they are so small. We had to sit with our luggage under the seat in front and it was a bit of a squash. Be warned, if you can take a small holdall that might be better.

Also remember it is only one clear plastic bag your allowed to take with your liquids under 100ml - I had three and they were not happy!
    BEST WIN LAST YEAR - MULBERRY HANDBAG
    SENDING STICKY VIBES TO THOSE WHO NEED THEM :)
  • Incapuppy

Why not buy all full sized toiletries when you have gone through into departures!!!!!

Ok, as long as it is noted that some airlines require any purchases that are made airside to be placed inside the existing one piece of hand baggage allowed.
  • Incapuppy
    jujugaboo wrote: »
    Also remember it is only one clear plastic bag your allowed to take with your liquids under 100ml - I had three and they were not happy!

I'm fairly sure that the correct information regarding the carrying of liquids is readily available on all airline/airport websites.
  • J20BABY
    J20BABY Posts: 2,025
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I got a pink one from B&M that is well within the dimensions for £9.99 reduced from£12.99, they had other colours too, its an expandable one also, but can't be expanded and still within the dimensions allowed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure