PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Yogurt without a Yogurtmaker

Options
Ok so yesterday I took the plunge and made my own yogurt in a flask as per the tips on the board, but.... it's very runny, is this right?? Don't think my children will like this in their lunch boxes. Maybe I'll have to consider splashing out on an Easiyo?????? :confused:
Panda on My Shoulder

If you can make it cheaper do so. If it's not reduced, in Primark, off ebay or free I can't have it
:rotfl:

Comments

• troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    Options
    Did you use a live bio yoghurt to start it? Some live yoghurts work better than others. How long did you leave it in the flask? and what sort of milk did you use?

It should be possible to rescue the yoghurt you have made and turn it into a yoghurt drink by whizzing it in a blender with a large spoonful of jam so that you don't make it any runnier.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You could use your Slow Cooker to make youghurt :) mine had a recipe in the leaflet it came with - I'll post it when I get home tonight if you like :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • chloe99_2
    chloe99_2 Posts: 312 Forumite
    Options
    would l.ove to know how to make it in slow cooker. I tried it once when inspired by this board but it came out kind of runny and gloopey, kind of slimey - I threw it away as it just looked wrong - any ideas??
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A quick search shows twenty threads with yoghurt in the title and the one best suited for your query is in the link below. I'll merge the two shortly to help keep similar queries in the same place.

Runny yoghurt

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    I've got a copy of "How to feed your family for £5 a day" by Bernadine Lawrence, and this is her recipe, it works for me every time!
    1.1 litres/2 Pints milk (skimmed or whole)
    55g/2oz dry milk powder
    60ml/2 fl oz unflavoured yoghurt
    Method:
    1. Scald the milk then add the milk powder whilst the milk is still very hot. (The mixture can be made smoother by sieving it.)
    2. Leave to cool for approx 15 mins then add a litle milk to the yoghurt and beat lightly with a fork.
    3.Add this to the rest of the milk and beat briefly. Incubate in a warm place for 3- 4 hours. Don't move the container during this time or the yoghurt will separate.
    Makes 1.1 litres/2 pints.
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Save some of your runny yoghurt to make the next batch which will be thicker if my experience is anything to go by. Always use whole milk for the thickest yog. I use my slo cooker for yogging. this is what I do.

Pre-heat the crock until slightly warm.

Heat the milk to blood temp in the micro. I use UHT so I do not have to boil and then cool to kill bacteria.

Pour the milk into the crock, stir in sugar (if you have a sweet tooth - many don't bother)

Stir in you saved yog from last time and any flavours. (Powdered milkshake mix if a quick cheat)

I then turn the crock to keepwarm for about 30mins and then turn off.

A couple of hours later I did my finger in and if it feels a little cool I turn the SC back on to keep warm for another 30 mins and then turn off again and check after 2 hours. By then my yog is normally done. HTH
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    I just had my first go at making yoghurt. I used 1/2 litre of full-fat sterilised milk heated up to a bit above blood heat on the stove. (I don't have a thermometer so I just stuck my finger in to check it felt nice and warm but not hot) I mixed in a couple of desert spoons of live yoghurt and just left it over night. I was a bit worried it might not work because our house isn't very warm and we have instant gas hot water so no airing cupboard. It turned out OK though perhaps not quite as thick as good store bought yoghurt but I strained it through a clean jay-cloth and it is now extra thick and creamy. A successful experiment which I will probably repeat.
  • zombiecazz
    zombiecazz Posts: 535 Forumite
    Options
    Did the flask thing last night.
    Used Skimmed UHT milk that I got reduced at Tesco for 26p, Proactive yoghurt from Lidl and some powdered milk.
    Warmed 1/2 pint of UHT milk in micro until just above body temp (felt warm when I dipped my finger in it), mixed in a tbsp or so of powdered milk and a heaped tbsp of yoghurt. poured it into my prewarmed flask and left it over night. I was thrilled with the result and it was thick enough that I had to give the yoghurt a mix to get it out of the flask.
    "A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All

I've just made my first batch of HM yoghurt using some set yoghurt and some warm milk in a flask. (Thank you to all those who posted info on this in the various yoghurt threads).

I have some questions:

1) How long will this yoghurt keep in the fridge
    a) to be used as a starter for my next batch
    b) for eating purposes

2) Can I freeze some to use as a starter later?

Thanks for any help you can give
  • full-time-mum
    Options
    Glad you asked that as I was wondering this too. Made my first batch a couple of weeks ago and want to try again.

I did mine in a glass bowl which I stuck in the airing cupboard and it worked really well and much easier to clean out than a flask.
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure