Bad Landing Ryanair FR448 DUB-LPL 3rd Feb - Possibly Injured

Options
This will probably be a long shot but...Was anyone on the Ryanair Dublin to Liverpool Flight FR448 last night, departure time should of been 21.20.

The landing was very very heavy & I think I have injured my back due to the landing. The plane seemed to hit the floor with such force, I am 100% he was going too fast, even after the reverse thrust the plane was still going extremely fast.

I have had a sore back all day & the lower part of my back has swelled up, All I did last night after the flight was went to bed & I have done nothing strenuous since the flight.

Does anyone have any advice about what to say to ryanair as it is wrong to be injured by just landing. The weather was clear, no wind & no turbulence.

Was anyone else on the flight? What did you think?

I am booking in to the doctors to get it checked out tomorrow.

I think they must have been rushing and not slowed down enough.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

I look forward to your replies

Cheers

Rawy

Comments

• mountainchrisriver
    Options
    a. sue them... should get £1 million...

b. thank your lucky stars he didn't crash it...

c. claim on your travel insurance (good luck!)

HTH :D
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am 100% he was going too fast, even after the reverse thrust the plane was still going extremely fast.

I think they must have been rushing and not slowed down enough

I am sure you are qualified to make these observations? Without knowing the full story (i.e. a 737 pilot who was on the flight deck) nobody can comment. I guess you could contact Ryanair but I doubt you will get anywhere. You'll probably find the landing was well within the limits.

Not sure where the tone of your thread is going, is it perhaps compensation? If so, then I'm sure you will be able to find a "no win no fee" ambulance chaser who will be more than happy to run with this case.
  • rawy
    rawy Posts: 131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    regards the be thankful you didn't crash comments... I thought I paid ryanair to fly me from A to B, not to crash or land so hard that my back has swelled up & is sore.

I would like a explanation & a apology. But airline customer services departments tend only to reply with standard letters, which wouldn't cover my questions.

If I need to take time off work to get my possible back problem sorted then yes I would be looking to ryanair for compensation, as I shouldn't be injured on landing shoul I?

I am not a qualified pilot, but I understand the difference between a good landing & a bad landing

Cheers

Rawy
  • sturll
    sturll Posts: 2,582 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rawy wrote: »
    regards the be thankful you didn't crash comments... I thought I paid ryanair to fly me from A to B, not to crash or land so hard that my back has swelled up & is sore.

I would like a explanation & a apology. But airline customer services departments tend only to reply with standard letters, which wouldn't cover my questions.

If I need to take time off work to get my possible back problem sorted then yes I would be looking to ryanair for compensation, as I shouldn't be injured on landing shoul I?

I am not a qualified pilot, but I understand the difference between a good landing & a bad landing

Cheers

Rawy

Do you understand about sudden wind shear? Clear air turbulence etc... A number of natural yet potentially fatal weather conditions.
    I doubt very much a qualified pilot will have misjudged his speed etc (there are two pilots anyway)

You'll be looking for compo from God next because you've been a bit cold over these last few days.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

As I said above, I'm sure you will find an ambulance chaser "no win no fee" who will be more than happy to try and oblige. I'm by no means a legal expert, bit I think such cases would involve finding someone to be negligent, I very much doubt you'd be able to prove Ryanair negligent for a flight that appears to have operated without incident.
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    My favorite experience was landing at Prestwick once. The plane came down, didnt seem to reverse thrust, hurtled along the runway past 1 spur, 2 spurs, 3 spurs then suddenly hung a right.
    Thought we were going to end up on Ayr beach.

That apart, I dont think the ambulance chasers would touch this one either.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    rawy wrote: »

Hi
    Did anyone else on the plane comment on the roughness of the landing or complain of being injured or were you the only one?
  • bert&ernie
    bert&ernie Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Options
    I think the issue here is whether or not a stabilised approach was made i.e. the correct speed, rate of decent, configuration etc was maintained on approach to the runway.

Ryanair were known to have a problem a few years back where an unusually high number of their flights continued to land even though the aircraft was not stabilised by the time it reached a critical decision point . The pilots should at this point have aborted the approach and elected to "go-around" for a second attempt.

I understand that Ryanair, in common with many airlines, utilises operation flight data recording that should identify cases where the approach was made outside their standard operating procedures.

If the landing was outside of these parameters then I think it could be argued that the airline was negligent and should be liable to compensate you for any injury caused.

I must stress that I'm not a Pilot or Lawyer, so this is just my layman's take on this. As has previously been pointed out, there are many things that could influence the landing - many of which are outside the control of the airline and crew. It may also be difficult to conclusively link any injury you may have suffered to the aircraft landing itself, although I'm sure most "ambulance chasers" can refer you to a tame doctor who will be able to establish this.

Anyway, I hope your back doesn't give you to much trouble, but do let us know how you get on with any potential complaint/litigation - I would be very interested to see how this works out.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
  • Engadine
    Engadine Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    As you are not a qualified pilot and were not the flightdeck of the aircraft then I fail to see how you can comment on the landing. As Strull has said there are a number of natural weather conditions that can happen suddenly. The Captain and First Officer would not have landed the aircraft if they were going to fast, they are highly trained and do not put themselves or passengers at risk.

You are 100% sure they were going too fast so what speed should the aircraft have been doing?

You say you understand the difference between a good and bad landing so perhaps you would like to share with the rest of us.

No 2 aircraft landings are the same, I was airline cabin crew for 11 years and have had some very hard landings and was never injured in any of them.

You aren't going to get anywhere with this and certainly would never expect Ryanair to pay compensation.
    :j Debt free since 31/01/08:j

• bert&ernie
    bert&ernie Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Options
    Engadine wrote: »
    As you are not a qualified pilot and were not the flightdeck of the aircraft then I fail to see how you can comment on the landing. As Strull has said there are a number of natural weather conditions that can happen suddenly. The Captain and First Officer would not have landed the aircraft if they were going to fast, they are highly trained and do not put themselves or passengers at risk.

You are 100% sure they were going too fast so what speed should the aircraft have been doing?

You say you understand the difference between a good and bad landing so perhaps you would like to share with the rest of us.

No 2 aircraft landings are the same, I was airline cabin crew for 11 years and have had some very hard landings and was never injured in any of them.

You aren't going to get anywhere with this and certainly would never expect Ryanair to pay compensation.

The OP is perfectly entitled to comment on how good or bad they perceived the landing to be. I'm glad you have such faith in the flight crew - I imagine that such faith is somewhat de rigeur for cabin crew.

I'm also glad that you were not injured in your 11 year career. However, this does not mean that it is impossible for a passenger to receive an injury during landing.

Might I ask why you are so certain that the OP will not get anywhere with this - is it simply a result of your own faith and good fortune?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure