Megatrain - Single Train Fares From £1!

Speech-Mark-Left.gif

Update Note 1 June 2006:

Virgin Trains (Cross Country) is now also providing Megatrain routes. Stops include Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester and Carlisle.

Official Insert:

Megatrain has just expanded its routes. As well as Portsmouth and Southampton you can now also book tickets to London Waterloo travelling from Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Bournemouth, Salisbury, Weymouth and Yeovil.

Back to the original post...... Speech-Mark-Right.gif

Megatrain will be starting to do off-peak single fares between London and Portsmouth/Southampton from £1 single (plus 50p booking fee) from 14th November.

Unfortunately, these are the only routes mentioned at the moment, but hopefully they will add more in future.

Bookings must be made online or by phone. However, phone bookings are via an 0900 premium-rate 60p/min phoneline, so you're much better off booking online!

See the Megatrain website for more info. There's also an item about the offer on the BBC News website here.

Money Man Steve

threadbanner.gif

Comments

• The Megatrain service starts next week - I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has bought a ticket and travels with them.

At £1 single it's almost worth finding an excuse to travel down to the coast for a day out...!
  • boybeck
    boybeck Posts: 119
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've got a day off work in a few weeks time so I've booked myself a little trip up to London. Travelling up from Southampton to Waterloo and back again. £2.50... what a bargain!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently megatrain is a trial at the moment but let's hope they make it a bit more permanent. Trains are too expensive and this will encourage more of us to use them.
  • sezdav
    sezdav Posts: 125 Forumite
    I may be being stupid. But when im entering dates that i would like to travel the return train leaves before the inward bound one arrives!!

Also couldnt find any journeys for £1. Sorry i might be being dumb!
  • sezdav wrote:
    I may be being stupid. But when im entering dates that i would like to travel the return train leaves before the inward bound one arrives!!

Also couldnt find any journeys for £1. Sorry i might be being dumb!

I found some last night when I looked. But it may be that the cheaper ones have sold out - I think the parent company are using Megatrain to sell off the spare capacity on quiet trains.

Keep trying!
  • Anyone actually travelled on a Megatrain cheap fare yet? What was it like?
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Anyone actually travelled on a Megatrain cheap fare yet? What was it like?

My Aunt travelled down to Portsmouth from Waterloo on monday on Megatrain. She was really pleased with her "bargain" ticket which cost £2 plus the booking fee of 50p.
    The guard announced over the PA system that all Megatrain ticket holders had to sit in the 2nd carriage from the front but there was no markings on the carriage to identify it as the right one. Monday was the 1st day it was running so maybe the stickers hadn't arrived in time.
    She said there were 7 other people in the carriage, so assuming that no one else had booked tickets and missed the train this would indicate that there arent many £1 tickets available on each train.
  • Megatrain's just added new routes. As well as Portsmouth and Southampton you can now also book tickets to London Waterloo travelling from Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Bournemouth, Salisbury, Weymouth and Yeovil :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: [email protected]
  • MSE_Andrea wrote:
    Megatrain's just added new routes. As well as Portsmouth and Southampton you can now also book tickets to London Waterloo travelling from Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Bournemouth, Salisbury, Weymouth and Yeovil :)

Brilliant news! Guess I will 'let the train take the strain' again soon!
  • BobToo
    BobToo Posts: 109 Forumite
    I've travelled on a Megabus from Dundee to London and back for £1 each way plus 50p booking fee on the total.

The bus that arrived in Dundee was a 1989 Leyland Olympian double decker. It was filled to the gunwales, horrendously noisy and full of diesel fumes. I considered not getting on but it transpired this bus was only going to Glasgow. Some people had been on the Olympian from Inverness or Aberdeen! (can't remember which). The trip to Glasgow was as harrowing as you'd expect but then we were put on a brand new Neoplan coach that was so quiet and smooth that you had to look out of the window to tell you were moving. There were no stops between Glasgow and London, except briefly for the drivers to swap over (this used to be done on the move but you can't do that sort of thing nowadays). One of the drivers, called Magic Joe (!) proudly announced that we'd arrived at London half an hour early- around 6am. Thanks Joe, I really needed another 30 minutes waiting for stuff to open. :rotfl:

The return journey was on a 1999 Neoplan, which was still quite decent but the driver couldn't turn the heating off. This journey was through the day and there were a couple of rest stops and a half hour wait in Glasgow before the same bus continued to Dundee.

I got where I was going, and back, but I don't think I'd do it again. The total journey time was an entire day out of a weekend. I certainly wouldn't pay much more than the £1 fare, once you get into double figures it's edging into train fare territory- a much more civilised way to travel. I reckoned it wasn't much slower than flying though, once you take the faffing around that flying involves into consideration.

I don't think my Megabus experience was any the worse for being cheap. I went to London on a Bluebird coach in 1981 and I don't remember that being significantly better. You are sacrificing flexibility for cost, if what they offer fits what you want it's a bargain. If it doesn't it isn't.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    This looks EXCELLENT.
    Ive used megaBUS before once london to bristol ( perfectly acceptable) a few weeks ago london ot bournemouth ( shambolic going there, fine coming back) and to be fair you cant grumble at the pric can you. this train looks fantastic. One of the downers of megabus is the random drop off points ( bournemouth in particular) but the train wont have this problem! Were booking it, any excuse to go back to the inlaws!! 4.00 each way im getting quoted for later this month. Superb!
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills