🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Pets suffering in credit crunch

Options

Comments

• mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Well, if push came to shove, and me and Spaghetti were short of grub.....I'd eat him. :D
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bagpuss741 wrote: »
    Do people really dump their pets to go on holiday:eek: My dog must be seriously spoilt as when I do go on holiday I go camping and the holiday revolves around her:D

A lot of people are just selfish (obviously you are not one of them). To a real animal lover a pet is part of the family. I can never understand how people move abroad and do not take their animals with them. I went to France and took my cats. I got a dog whilst there and although I was desperate to come back I did not until the law was changed on quarantine. I could never have put my dog and cats into kennels for 6 months.

I would no more get rid of my pets than someone would get rid of their child!
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • LillyJ
    LillyJ Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Options
    Vets bills can be helped with by the PDSA if you are on benefits. If you are so poor that you can't feed your dog, then you would be on benefits anyway.
    My dog doesn't cost much, I buy Wagg food which is so cheap and all the rest is really extras and me spoiling him rotten. I could cut back on treats for him and treats for me and I could never ever imagine giving him up.

I rescued him and gave him a home for life and I love him more than anything in the world. He relies on me to look after him, feed him and keep him safe. It is my duty to his unwavering love to look after him until the end of his (hopefully very long) life.
  • melvis
    melvis Posts: 6,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It doesn't cost an awful lot to feed our pets really, and I've noticed that the price of the pet food hasn't increase despite other price increases in the supermarkets.

Our monthly costs are:

1 medium/large dog : 20 large tins dog food + 2 bags mixer. Total £16.56 per month.

3 cats : 30 (ish) tins cat food + 3 boxes biscuits. Total £11.92

So under £30 per month for food to feed all four, which is less than a night out! Probably exactly £30 if treats/dental sticks are included. We don't buy Pedigree Chum or Whiskas though, just Asda's own or cheapest brands.
    Small business owner 🧵 Ex MSE comper 🏆 Student loan repayer 💴 Romanian dog rescuer 🐕 Hopefully a cost of living survivor 🤞🏻
  • Jellicat
    Jellicat Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    Very upsetting. I am not fortunate enough to own a dog or the animal I would love most in the world (a horse), and my pets might seem like they dont matter much; I own two rats, a bearded dragon and a little snake and some people seem to get the idea if they aren't dogs or cats you don't feel as much for them, but I would NEVER get rid of my babies. It would be like giving up my friends because I don't have enough time for them- just wrong. Certain animals like dogs, cats and some small pets (rats, lol) bond to you so much and it must be heartbreaking for them just to be dumped. My little dragon eats so much food he costs a considerable amount to keep chubby as well as needing new tanks and equipment as he gets bigger, but I took him on, it's my responsibility to make sure he gets what he needs!

Unless I was at the point of desperation with absolutely no other option (which I doubt people are, this site proves you can live off a tiny budget if you need to) I would never give up my pets. How people can be so carefree about these wonderful creatures never ceases to amaze me. I feel guilty enough if my rats don't get enough free roaming time in one day, let alone giving them up because I couldnt afford my weekend drinking habit. :(
  • orlao
    orlao Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, I agree with everyone.....my animals are for life...and they demand a lush one:D but I can see how people can get to a state when the stress of trying to hold it all together moneywise gets too much...when you've got to get a 2nd job so the dog is left all day and all evening as well.

I've been there, luckily a fair few years ago but rather than give up my dogs I took them in the car while I delivered pizzas, against every rule;) but at least they weren't left home alone.....pizza hut used to wonder why my car was parked down the road even when there was a space in front of the shop:D but it was tough when I was walking dogs at 11pm knowing that the alarm was going to go off at 4:30am so I could check on my horse ( and walk dogs again!) before I went to the day job. Luckily I didn't get any big vets bills then but if I had.....I really don't know if I would have been able to pay them! No PDSA as I was working:eek: After that horrible winter I got a cleaning job that paid nearly the same but only took up 1 1/2 hours a day with very flexible timings and I kept that for 3 years to basically pay to keep my animals...all I'm saying is that I was lucky enough to be flexible enough and with no other responsibilities to be able to take on extra work, other people may not have that freedom :confused: . Not that I think it's ok to dump any animal cos of stupid things like holidays, nights out etc btw!
  • orlao
    orlao Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    Options
    Well, if push came to shove, and me and Spaghetti were short of grub.....I'd eat him. :D

I don't fancy your chances:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I reckon Spaghetti would eat you:D bad teeth or not!!!!!
  • *Denise*_2
    *Denise*_2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    These stories about animal cruelty and abandonment are awful - just a few minutes ago I nominated an animal rescue charity - FOAL Farm - on the charity board. So if you would like to 'vote' for it that would be great!!
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I dont get how people can be so heartless and jsut abandon an animal they have taken on and bonded with.

I mean when we lived in germany we had two cats and we brought them back through quarentine but they were spoilt rotten adn we visited them twice a week - they thought all their christmases had come at once when we got home too - they lived to be 14 and 15 respectively (one had leukemia and one got an ifection she jsut couldnt fight off) but they were absolutely adored.

Now I have my jack and he is like a second child - (she says trying to fidget around with out waking said pooch who has taken up residence in her lap, even though shes sat on the computer chair with her legs up and crossed, and hes sleepign in the dip of my legs wedged under the keyboard! :eek: ) but i could never be without him - i dont know how his owners gave him up to arescue in front of us after having him 3/4 years and didnt seem to show the slightest bit of regret/remorse as they walked away and left him there petrified.

i mean even if i was really struggling it isnt expensive to feed a dog - even if you have to resort to the cheapest of cheap dog foods and the odd tin of sardines every now and then. I mean it costs all of about what? £1.50 for 3kg of dry value dog food?? even if it was only for a month im sure that could be covered so at least the dog was fed and then any scraps form your plate could top it up nutritionally if times were that hard.
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills