PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Yogurt without a Yogurtmaker

Options

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    Options
    Yes, you can freeze yogurt to use as starters. This is a good idea, because if you use some from each batch you make, the yogurt gets gradually sourer. If you were to freeze several portions from your first batch using a commercial yogurt as a starter, they would all be the same age IYSWIM - does that make sense?

I freeze 2 tbsp quantities in small containers/little bags. Defrost it before you start your batch of yogurt otherwise the temperature will drop ;)

As for how long yogurt lasts, I'm afraid I don't really pay attention, but about 2 weeks I should think and at least a week;)

HTH:)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The short answer is yes... the longer one is in the link:-

Freezing yoghurt

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • PoshPaws_3
    Options
    As we're talking yoghurt and I've scanned the many yoghurt discussions without getting a definitive answer, can you recommend which of the many types of milk powder there are out there, you have found to be best for thickening up home made yoghurt?

I've been using a low fat Total as my starter (only one I could find) and full fat UHT milk, but the yoghurt is very thin, so I suspect I need to add milk powder - but which one and how much? :confused:
    :hello: I'm very well, considering the state I'm in. :hello:
    Weight loss since 2 March 10 : 13lbs
  • Ruby_Pudding
    Options
    I always freeze the first batch to use later (I use an ice cube tray). Two 'cubes' of defrosted yoghurt mixed with a couple of teaspoons of skimmed milk powder make a lovely new flask of yoghurt every time

That way I only buy a pot of Rachel's Live Organic every 2/3 months or so and eek it out :D
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    I use Tesco Value skimmed milk powder. Comes in a 454g box (2 oz make 1 pint-so it makes a gallon of milk;) ). I find half a cup (a measure that hold 4 fl oz) makes a 1 litre carton of UHT milk lovely and thick. I use semi-skimmed or whole UHT as I find skimmed makes thinner yogurt and I refuse to accept that even whole milk is a high fat food.
  • Ruby_Pudding
    Options
    I use Tesco long life skimmed UHT milk and Morrisons skimmed milk powder and (touch wood) it's always turned out nice and thick
  • full-time-mum
    Options
    PoshPaws wrote:
    As we're talking yoghurt and I've scanned the many yoghurt discussions without getting a definitive answer, can you recommend which of the many types of milk powder there are out there, you have found to be best for thickening up home made yoghurt?

I've been using a low fat Total as my starter (only one I could find) and full fat UHT milk, but the yoghurt is very thin, so I suspect I need to add milk powder - but which one and how much? :confused:

Not an expert as I've only done it the once so far but things that I believe could go wrong are
    using old live yogurt or yogurt that isn't live at all
    Killing the bacteria by adding the yogurt when the milk is too hot
    Not heating the milk sufficiently in the first instance to kill off any bacteria that would upset the yogurt making ones.

I used s/s milk, yeo valley natural live yogurt and tesco value milk powder and ended up with a very thick yogurt.

I boiled the milk and let it cool to blood temp before adding other ingredients. Resulting mixture was popped into the airing cupboard for several hours

I used 2 tbls yogurt to 1l milk and, I think, 2 tbls milk powder.
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • full-time-mum
    Options
    I've just made another batch omitting the milk powder - it was so thick last time I thought I'd see what happens without it.
    This time it is too runny - DD keeps asking for those really expensive yogurt drinks so I think I'll whizz up a few strawberries, mix them together and call it a yogurt drink ;)
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had that problem with one of my batches. I really liked it as a runny drink!
  • PoshPaws_3
    Options
    No matter what I've done with them, ALL of my tries at making yoghurt have been hopeless.

OH had a go yesterday and his batch is nicely yoghurty, but way too thin. He forgot to include the milk powder.

So, we reckon that if he includes milk powder in his next go, we might actually get there!

Still, the runny yoghurt is nice poured over fruit. I got four passion fruit for 49p yesterday, and its delish with passion fruit mixed in. :)
    :hello: I'm very well, considering the state I'm in. :hello:
    Weight loss since 2 March 10 : 13lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills