Cardguard or credit card theft protection

Options

Comments

• ontheup_3
    Options
    Heres one from Nationwide for £12/year or £29/3 years !!

Click Me for more info

Im not sure wether you need a nationwide card or not but its a good price !!

I dont use CCP but maybe someone could let us know wether its a good policy or not !!
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Card Fraud:

The following are scenario's.

1. You card is PINched and used in a shop or at an ATM with your valid PIN.

(You may get into a disputed transaction with your card issuer - CCP and I'm sure CardGuard won't pay up and if and when the dispute is resolved - you the victim will have your money returned from your card issuer).

2. Your card is cloned and used with a valid PIN at an ATM in UK Or overseas.

(You should get your money back)

3. Your card is used and your signature forged.

(You'll get your money back. If anybody knows of a victim where a signature was used to authorise a transaction and the victim held liable, please let us all know. It could be an all time first).

3. Your card details are used.

(You should get your money back)

Here are extracts from the Banking Code.

10.2 If you do not recognise a card transaction which appears on your statement, we will give you more details if you ask us. In some cases, we will need you to give us confirmation or evidence that you have not authorised a transaction.

12.12 Unless we can show that you have acted fraudulently or without reasonable care, your liability for the misuse of your card will be limited as follows:

If someone else uses your card, before you tell us it has been lost or stolen or that someone else knows your PIN, the most you will have to pay is £50.

OR

If you card details were used (card not physically presented to a retailer) then:

12.12 (continued)

If someone else uses your card details withou your permission, and your card has not been lost or stolen, you will not have to pay anything.

Weigh up the pros and cons. INHO, almost a no-brainer. Check with your house insurance, probably covers you for everything else.
  • uk-dan
    Options
    BEWARE OF SENTINEL T's & C's....

I found this forum while searching for the Sentinel Gold website and its very worrying to find that a forum discussing their questionable activities actually ranks higher than their corporate website. Type 'Sentinel Gold' in to Google UK and this comes up top whereas any corporate site belonging to them doesn't appear to be ranked highly at all.

Unfortunately I have been billed by this company against my consent and I'm certain now I won't get my money back regardless even though I have no need for their service, which after research appears to be more expensive compared to other companies in payment protection sector. I regret to say I didn't study the T's and C's as closely as I should've done ie. *** extremely carefully *** and I advise ANYONE thinking of joining this company to do the same and to also LOOK VERY CLOSELY at what other card protection agencies can offer in comparison this organisation.
  • Terror-T
    Options
    I just tried to get the old cover from Sentinel today and they advised me they cannot offer the £50 deal anymore. They say I have to pay the £70 or cancel the policy. Just had a look at their website and they are still offering the £50 deal with no mention of the Gold cover for £70 at all????

Getting worse by the day!!
  • Iamthesmartestmanalive
    Options
    You certainly wouldnt take it out for the fraud protection as anything they cover a bank will

They do offer some other services but these are upto yourself such as cancelling all your cards ( which they often take hours to do risking your bank being touchy about dealing with any fraud), passport/driving licence/key insurance which your house insurance covers.

I personally wouldnt say its worth it, but i suppose if you have the cash it might save yourself some time cancelling cards if they are ever stolen but the warning has to be attached that your bank might wash their hands for use between you realising and the cover actually bothering to call them
  • Herberts
    Options
    I rang Sentinel today after seeing a payment for £70 on my latest credit card bill. I had completely forgotten I had subscribed and I must have last renewed in 2004. Fortunately their number was printed on the credit card bill entry! I have not received any documents or contact from them this year but all I could achive was an offer to cancel the contract from 2010. My £70 is most definitely non refundable. Their continuous payment authority being from the original signature in 1989! Beware continuous payment authorities.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Found this while debating whether the £50 to renew Sentinel cover is worth it now we are DFWs. (nb No mention of £70 cover, so thanks for those who phoned up to argue, they obviously got the message!)

The reason I am dithering about this renewal:
    I had my card wallet stolen 3 years ago - pre chip &pin. It had a sentinel sticker on it and the police thought that was one reason the cards were untouched. When I phoned up to cancel the cards, the female CS operator was really kind - I was in quite a state. At the time the reassurance was worth a lot.

But, £50 is £50 - and I now only have 2 credit cards!

Any advice?
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    If you only have two cards, how about simply writing the respective numbers for the cancellations line/theft hotline or programming them into your phone/writing them down somewhere? Bear in mind most credit cards protect you in the event of fradulent use, so Sentinel's identical protection against fradulent use isn't really relevant.
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your card is stolen, you are only liable for the first £50

The question is, do you consider piece of mind worth £20 a year?

Not strictly true:

Bank customers who have had thousands of pounds stolen from their accounts have been refused compensation on the basis they did not safeguard their Pin – even though it can be easily bypassed by fraudsters.

Story click here.

Be a shame to fork out £20 and Cardguard refused to make good your loss.
  • rose8
    rose8 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I just discovered a £70 debit on my credit card from Sentinel Gold, having had no paperwork from them about it. Phoned them on the number given on the bill and they said their cancellation team would phone me back within 24 hrs. It was 48 hrs later and they told me I was outside the 14 day refundable period and I wouldn't get my £70 back. On complaining strongly, they agreed to reduce it to £50. When I pointed out that I had actually phoned them 13 days after the renewable date they agreed to refund the full £70. This practice of automatically renewing a contract (3 years after takng it out) and debiting a credit card without any kind of authorisation seems unlawful to me and smacks of the banks making unjustified charges on accounts. I would love to know what Martin thinks of this practice.
    Rose
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport