PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Any ideas for picnic food??

Options

Comments

• mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ooh - I'm drooling for picnics and barbies now! will you lot stop it! :D:D
    Mink
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Options
    mink35 wrote:
    Ooh - I'm drooling for picnics and barbies now! will you lot stop it! :D:D

Meeee toooooo! But since I started this thread it hasn't stopped raining here (Yorkshire)! icon11.gificon9.gificon8.gif
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Iona_Penny wrote:
    For all and Squeaky : Not sure of the temp for the pigs in red-leicester sleeping bags but hot oven until they're done!

I like some of the ideas here but would like to challenge 'are they picnic food ideas?' ; either that or some of you have posh nosh when you're out!! stuff you can pick up with ease, maybe goo you can dip stuff in but that's my limit.

Freeze some small bottles of water or juice, put them in with your lunch and you dont need an ice pack that you then have to carry home , just drink your chiller!

Thanks for the info on the temperatues - as for suitability of some these recipes for picnics - in these days with the range of containers and flasks we have you can pretty much take anything you like to a picnic. Gone are tha days on curling cheese sandwiches and an orange.

But I do agree that some foods are ideal picnic food. I've only ever eaten that sausage and egg salad once outside a picnic. Mostly because the first time I had it was on a picnic, so to me it's been picnic food ever since.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • sarahmelita
    sarahmelita Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    My friends and I are going to the beach on Monday - hopefully the weather will still be nice! We're going to take food with us, just wondered if anyone had any ideas for food that will travel well (in or out of a coolbag) and will taste yummy! Was thinking of pasta salad, rolls with various fillings and lots of water! Any other ideas are much appreciated. :)
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A throw away BBQ and salad?
    :j
  • Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Rolls are good.
    Also
    Savoury muffins
    Cherry tomatoes +cheese & Fruit kebabs
    No need for plates/utensils so less chance of sand in your food!
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you freeze some of those small boxed squash drinks cartons...........they will help to chill the food contents of your picnic cool box and provide a refreshing cold drink.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Boil lasagne sheets then pat dry, place on a baking sheet and flavour with italian seasoning/garlic salts etc cut into triangles etc and put in a hot oven until they puff up and go golden brown. These are a low fat dorito style snack.

Hard boil an egg - Quarter it - coat with mashed potatoes/flavoured smash - roll in rehydrated couscous and bake in the oven until golden. Makes a nice veggie savoury egg.

Both travel well and disappear quickly!!!
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quiche packs well and is nice cold too. You could still take your pasta salad & take a tossed one as well. For dessert we always treat ourselves to an icecream and then head for the water. :D praying of course that there are no sharks around. :eek:
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can vouch for the sausage and rice salad in the Old Style Recipe Collection :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport