February 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• huxley
    huxley Posts: 296 Forumite
    Hi all going a little over budget at the moment must bring it back in line:o get my fifty pounds each saturday so should only have spent 300 so far but at 320.74:mad: should be able to though. Dh has gone to work today,as ground not sooooo frozen to dig, just hoping its not too wet with thawing! Got some mash potato in the fridge so think I will mix in some tuna and veg and it will be tuna & potatoe pie for dinner. Got some bacon stock so may make a large pot of soup as a fill up over the weekend.
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,317
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I was hoping to have a NSD but I need to buy milk (I buy the Smartprice UHT stuff ;) ) so I'm going to have a mooch around the cupboards etc to see if I need anything else and then hopefully I won't need to go shopping with DD next week as I'll take her tonight after school and make her work for her chippy tea ;):rotfl::rotfl:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello all,

Spent £296.58 last month so aiming at £280.00 for this month, I work on a 4 week basis so my month will start today 31st Jan and finish 28th Feb

So Far, £135.55

Co-op £5.43
    Co-op £17.17
    Tesco £20.02

Total 178.17
  • Hello everyone,

Have been lurking as normal just tallied up my final Jan total so am a bit behind, OH doesn't put the receipts in the right place so I'm finding them all over the house! I spent £100.92 last month so 92p over :) Was happy with that, it included food and household bits :D

This month my total so far is £68.10, have had two big shops, the first one was an unexpected trip around Morrisons at my friends house and I found some fantastic offers and lots of other exciting things. Well same things they have at Tescos but in a different order. Anyway next time i'll have to restrain myself.

Made a massive pan of carrot and corriander soup yesterday used about 2lbs carrots which I worked out about 50p, 30p fresh corriander, then 2pots and an onion maybe 30p? and a few bits from my cupboard so hopefully enough for 4/5 lunches each for me and OH. Anyway I was chuffed! Cheap and cheerful and just the weather for soup :)
    :j Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012 :j
    :jSecond menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    :j
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
  • Big shop nearly £100 yesterday however stocked up on wine and also freezer is jam packed, OH is away most of next week and weekend so really should not have to pick up anything apart from the odd bit of fruit & veg. This is first GC so taking it quite seriously at moment and is amazing how much longer shopping takes when you are pricing everything up on the shelves instead of just banging in whatever you want in your trolley:)
    £460/2000 mortg overpayment
  • Hi Loulou,
    I was thinking exactly the same thing, am even trying my hand at a home made card! (and I'm no crafter LOL) I've found a frosing recipe in my Dairy Cook book, not tried it, but sounds lovely!

Coffee Fudge Frosting

2oz butter
    4oz soft brown sugar
    3tsp coffee essence
    1tbsp fresh single cream
    8oz sifted icing sugar

Put butter, sugar, coffee essence and cream in pan, stand over low heat stirring until butter melts and sugar dissolves, bring to boil, boil briskly for 3 mins only, remove from heat, stir in icing sugar, beat until smooth, continue for further 5 mins,or until frosting has cooled ans is stiff enough to spread.
    My lot love good old butter icing, but with a wee drop of orange juice in, so that will be my topping yum :)

Peetzil x
    CC 1 Halifax £4350(4.9%)
    CC 2 MBNA £6260 (5.4%)
    CC 3 Barclaycard 8500(0%)
    CC 4 Tesco £2500
    O/D £3000:eek:
  • I am doing good! We pretty much ate from the freezer this week and only needed a pack of pullups for DD during the week. I made a nasi goreng for myself last night and used quite a bit of veg from the freezer which was good. And little bits of things are getting used up, while I can finally see shelf space in a few of the cupboards.

I was just putting together a meal list for the next few days on the other thread, and I really only need to buy fruit and veg, 2 steaks, perhaps 3 lamb chops or some fish, bread, milk, and dunkers to see us through this week again.

I may even get organised to make a quiche - um, smoked salmon and leek perhaps (salmon in freezer from special last summer) - oh, and Tues is pancake tues, so I will be changing that menu plan. But I could actually get away with just buying steaks for a nice romantic dinner Sat, and not needing to buy any other meat for the rest of the week and all of next weekend too.

And my boss has agreed to me using most of my remaining leave in early March (leave year ends at end March), so I will probably take a trip to Mr. S, or maybe even Mr. A (I don't think there's a Mr. M within easy reach) up around Newry direction on one of those days. So totally restock the cupboards then (which would blow the budget for the month - but then again, I am also running an annual tracker so I should still be good overall).
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 February 2010 at 9:48AM
    Coffee Fudge Frosting is now in the front page recipe index peetzil; it sounds absolutely lush ;)

did a small shop today in the village - spent £18, mostly at the butcher so now have lots of things in the freezer for my meal plan;

good luck everyone! hippie-2.gif

edited to correct name - apologies to peetzil :o I posted in a rush as I was missing Jean Luc Picard on the telly, and thanks loulou for picking it up :A
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 12 February 2010 at 2:10PM
    Done some shopping this morning - picked up a bit more than planned, but nothing out of the ordinary - refilled the fruit bowls and picked up a few treats and picnic bits ready for half term, found some good reductions in the Co-op that will freeze (along with two tubs of HD/B&J on offer - couldn't resist, lol), and got some washing up liquid and loo cleaner cheap in Poundstretcher.

Total spend is now £153.94, and I can't see a reason to shop now until next Wednesday at least :D

Edit - nearly forgot - also got some seed potatoes and a rhubarb crown from Homebase (10% day and I had an extra points voucher) - not sure whether to put them onto the grocery budget or the garden budget.
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • First day I've been able to post since Tuesday due to the lurgy :(

Spent just £1.50 on 2 bottles of Lemonade as that's all I wanted to drink and we don't have fizzy pop in often. Also means I have added another 2 NSD's to my total. Don't need to spend much this weekend either. Got a very small shopping list of mainly fresh items so hopefully a frugal weekend to be had.
    :xmastree:
    Merry Christmas
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family