August 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    shell_542 wrote: »
    Thanks! That makes sense :D I'll see how long I go before losing count :rotfl:

Hope you get on better than me - this is only my second month smiley-ashamed005.gif
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    Only trouble is, when I bought the spuds on saturday, i went for the cheapest option and to be honest they are horrible so now I dont want my jacket chips because I normally use maris piper spuds and the basic white spud is not the same!

So with rather a lot of potatoes sitting on my kitchen side, i am after ideas on how to use them all up !! Many thanks.

Why don't you flavour them with a spice mix - garam masala, crumbled stock cube, Mexican fajita and a squeeze of lime juice ... :confused:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • lollyfin
    lollyfin Posts: 299 Forumite
    Hi all
    hope you are all having a good day
    haven't been on for a couple of days as we have been sorting out the garden, it's looking lovely but I ache all over lol.
    We had MrsMs corned beef hash and dumplings last night and are having the leftovers tonight with cheesy pastry pinwheels and I made the stock and some of the hash into soup (added a bag of instant mash for 38p) and that is enough for 3 meals for all of us so am really chuffed that 2 tins of corned beef some veg and potatoes will have fed us 2 main meals and 3 lunches thank you MrsM!!!
    Oh and could you post your recipe for blackberry cake as I know of some good patches that should be ready in the next couple of weeks
    Thanks
    Lollyfin
    budget is now at 24.47
    konMarie and fabbing all the way
    Weight loss challenge starting 11st loss in November 4lb
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    shell_542 wrote: »
    Can I just ask a possibly very daft question, how do people show their NSD's in their signatures? I've seen a few different figures like "2/13" or "5/20" What do the numbers correspond to? Thanks in advance x
    I go for 1st number= no of days I've managed it / 2nd number = aim for the month...

eg 1/12 means I've only managed 1 NSD out of the 12 I am hoping to do this month... I'm not doing too well... :o

Its your sig... whatever way works for you is best! :D

lollyfin - what are cheese pastry pinwheels? I've never heard of pinwheels before... what are they? (Its going to be something really obvious isn't it... :o)

Flat eric - I love chinese 5 spice on my wedges... Yummy!
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    A couple of small spends to add to my annual total today. I keep forgetting stuff and have to go back to Mr S and always end up coming out with a couple of little extras.

Tried to just do a weekly shop this month instead of a big shop at the beginning of the month and top up shops each week but I don't think it has worked. I seem to have spent less on groceries but more on take aways and extras as I am nipping to the shop for bits I have forgotten or there is not much 'quick' food in for when we are late in and tired.

My stores and freezer are running low so planning to do a big stock up shop when I am on holiday next week and then small top ups after that, I will see if I get on better this way.

Moniker - I get logged out every so many minutes and I use my work laptop and high speed broadband and I am not sure why it happens either:confused:
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Morning all
    How spooky lollyfin -I was just chatting with mum on the phone and said I was desperate for a pan of cornedbeef hash and lumpadings -which is usually saved for the colder months -glad you liked it -its one of our faves ;)

Well this morning I have made the carrot cake -but into 24 buns and done the blackberry grater cake bakes -but made it into 2 tray bakes -so I have [STRIKE]24[/STRIKE] 22 (well we had to test it) pieces for the freezer :p - and as a bonus when I had done the fruit and strained it -I reduced the liquid down and it has turned into almost jam -I have 500ml -so Im going to pour into 5 empty yoghurt pots and freeze and then it will make nice steamed jam sponge puddings come winter :T
    Here is the original recipe/method
    GRATED BLACKBERRY BAKE
    makes 8.5" cake
    preheat oven to -200c/400f/gas6
    1. 350g blackberries
    2. 175g granulated sugar
    3. 275g plain flour
    4. pinch salt
    5. grated zest 1 lemon
    6. 175g block marge or butter
    7. 100g golden caster sugar
    8. 1 medium egg beaten
    • pick over the blacberries and rinse and drain well
    • place in a pan with 2tbs water and simmer for 8 mins
    • stir in the granulated sugar, bring to the boil and cook for 4-5 mins -stirring regularly -You need to get the syrup to thicken -so if you don't want the fruit to mush, remove with a slotted spoon and reduce the liquid on its own ;)
    • leave it to cool
    • sift the flour and salt into a bowl, add the lemon zest
    • cut in the fat then rub in to form breadcrumbs
    • stir in the sugar and beaten egg and mix to form a firm dough
    • wrap in plastic and chill for 1hr until firm
    • grease an 8.5" spring release cake tin and base line with greaseproof
    • cut the pastry in half and coarsely grate one half over the base of the tin and press down
    • spread cooled topping over the top
    • grate the other half of the dough over the top -taking right to the edges so the filling doesn't bubble uo
    • bake for 35-40 mins until golden
    • cool for 5 mins before removing from the tin
    And here are my adjustments :p;-
    I got some tubs of flora (suitable for baking) whoopsed to 25c a tub -so I used that -the mix was much softer
    so the bottom half of the dough I dropped into the tin and pressed down (a bit like making shortbread) -I raised the sides slightly to keep the fruit in ;) then instead of grating the top(it was NEVER going to work) I just broke bits off and dropped it on the top -it covered just the same and saved washing up :T oh and I replaced the golden caster sugar with normal granulated too,
    Here is the 1st one I made last year -so you can see what it should come out like -to me it reminds me of the base of those vienese whirl biccies you can buy.... its lovely
    blackberry2eg1.th.jpg
    As I said -this time I have made 2 trays as squares are much easier to freeze :D oh and when I priced it up I made 3 times the recipe and the total cost was €1.79 making it just 7.5c a :j
    Give me a yell If you can't make sense of the ramblings :p
    I had had enough by the time I was done -so the courgette cakes will have to wait... if I have freezer space after I have wedged todays goodies in :eek:
    Dinner tonight is pasta bake -have odds n sods want using up -plus I took a tub of HM tomato n marscapone out of the freezer to make it -so I have a wee bit more space in there :rotfl:
    right -off for a cuppa and some x-stitching:D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hiya guys,
    Still managing to use stores and freezer at the moment so another nsd:money: Hoping to do this for as many days as possible :D and keep well within budget this month, which will make a change.

I haven't been making a meal plan for the month(and prob should:o), but bulk cook meals and freeze so it's like having my own supermarket in the house:T

When making fish pie, which sauce goes in? cheese/white? don't know how to make white one:o:o:o must do better:o:o

Hugs to those that need them,
    ( including me:o:eek:)

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • Natty68
    Natty68 Posts: 3,328
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ooops forgot to pop on here for my monthly challenge..

MrsM can you put me down for £320.00 please, thanks :)

I have spent £56.00 of this already..so will update my signature now..
    Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    Declutter challenge 2023 🏅 ⭐️⭐️
    DH declutter challenge award ⭐️
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,053
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hiya guys,
    Still managing to use stores and freezer at the moment so another nsd:money: Hoping to do this for as many days as possible :D and keep well within budget this month, which will make a change.

I haven't been making a meal plan for the month(and prob should:o), but bulk cook meals and freeze so it's like having my own supermarket in the house:T

When making fish pie, which sauce goes in? cheese/white? don't know how to make white one:o:o:o must do better:o:o

Hugs to those that need them,
    ( including me:o:eek:)

HWGA xx

White sauce

40g butter/marg
    40g plain flour
    600ml milk

Melt butter in a non stick saucepan (i use my milk pan)

Take off heat and add the flour and beat until smooth paste

Add milk a little at a time and beat until no lumps.

Bring to boil and cook gently for 2-3 mins, stir all the time.

White sauce is dead easy, and you can half the quantity if req'd.

I use parsley sauce in my fish pie which is the above white sauce with 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley add when it begins to boil.

Hope this helps you.
  • Afternoon All!

Did my food shop for this week and it came in at an amazing.......£18.84

I am SO impressed with myself! Woohooo!

So, my total for this month so far, with 2 weeks to go is £50.80

Which means an entire £29.20 remaining!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income