May 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• grandmasam
    grandmasam Posts: 535
    First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    Forumite
    hi everyone!,havn't posted for last two wks as got a bit down,feeling better now, thank goodness.
    been living out of the freezer and pantry mainly,so only bought 20p muller yogs and rice :T[latter freezes well!!] and fruit and veg.Been picking broad bean tops as well and the first pick of actual beans yesterday :j lovely with hm parsley sauce.

made more bread today and some french onion rolls to have with veggie soup later in the wk.rolls now frozen, good thing ive eaten enough to make the space :rotfl:
    off to update sig, update later.
    caz
    Saving for another hound :j
    :staradmin from Sue-UU
    SPC no 031 SPC 9 £1211, SPC 8 £1027 SPC 7 £937.24, SPC 6 £973.4 SPC 5 £1949, SPC 4 £904.67 SPC 4 £980.27
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Evening all!

Another small spend for me, had to buy bread, eggs and milk.

Had slow-cookered gammon for dinner, and have made pea and ham soup with some of the leftovers. There is still a sizeable amount of gammon left for sandwiches tomorrow for lunch (To go with the soup)

If I need to buy anything else this week, it should only be of the bread/milk variety before payday comes on Friday.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Evening all

No problem searching me -I will just start my mad scribbling earlier ;)and this time warn my hubby not to move said piece of paper :rolleyes:

Brisket is stunning if cooked properly -If you ever try it again -
    • wrap it tightly in foil and stick it in a roasting tin
    • shove in the oven on high for about 30-45 mins
    • once it has started to colour -drop the temp to about gas 3 and cook long and slow -
    • just open it carefully every so often and drain the juices into a jug -makes lovely dripping :p
    • about 4+ hours shoul do it ...depending on size
    • I always do it the day before and let it go cold as it should be so tender when hot it collapses if you try and carve it. cut it cold and you can get it nice n thin and to re-heat I put in foil parcels with a drop of the juices nomnomnom
    ooohhhh and the cold rice would be good for special fried rice -great for using odds n sod up out of the fridge/freezer ;)
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 18 May 2009 at 11:15PM
    Hiya

So tonight's shopping came to £75.59. That doesn't feel too bad - I've got some bits in there that will last the whole month like cat food, cat litter and nappies, and some stuff that will last a while like a big bag of pasta, 3 tins of tuns, quite a bit of frozen stuff..

I still need to get the month's worth of dog food which I can get with the next round of bread and milk (which will also take me over £10 so I get to park for free in the store car park)

Yay, I'm feeling a tad more in control already :T
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • Taye
    Taye Posts: 473 Forumite
    *sigh* spent £22.91 in B&M yesterday, i only went in for dog food, bringing my total upto £216.96. I did get loads of cat food pouches they had felix going cheap which my cats love so i bought 4 packets which accouts for £10 of it and it's enough for about 1 months as i suppliment it with dry biscuits. £2 on the dog food which will last about a week, joint of ham and some other bits i really didn't need .. *sigh*

Oh well still on target and my cuboards are HEAVING at the seems, i am running short of veg
    though, im ok for salad stuff it's the stuff that go's with meals etc so i'll need to pop the market, and to asda and pick some up should still manage to stick to budget though as there's only 6 days left of my month.

I really need to clear some cuboard space i keep buying things because they are on offer haha and i simply don't have room anymore.
    This months aim :- Stick to food Budget / find £100 for my car insurance
    May GC :- £250/£234.55 :T:A:T
    June GC :- £150/£127.37:eek:
  • Julimk wrote: »
    Just a tiny spend today on milk & fruit. Am really hoping that is it for this month. There is, however, still a little bit left if I do need some more milk.

Made up a batch of onion soup & a batch of mulligatawny soup today & popped them in the freezer. With what was already in there that should do me for lunches when I am working from home for the next month.

Still working on the shopping list for the main shop for June & it has now gone over £70!:eek: I just keep thinking of things that I will need & this is just the list of basics to stock up.:rolleyes:

Hi, Would it help if you did 2 shops per month rather than 1 big one? I started off with 1 big one, but I found I was ordering stuff that I didn't really need like yet more pasta, tins when I had enough in the cupboard. Then again when needs must I can be a bit ruthless with the basics, as long as I have enough for meals and T-rolls, I have been known to wing it a bit with the other bits. Afterall I keep telling myself variety is the spice of life.;):rotfl:
    Grocery challenge june £300/ £211-50.
    Grocery challenge july £300/£134-85.
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    cheers Mrs M im refusing to spend another penny on food til friday (going out for a birthday meal :D) x
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    :jI have had another NSD and was given loads of food yesterday. My aunt brought me peppers, grapes, tomatoes, nectarines, strawberries, a huge piece of gammon and a chunk on a blue veined cheese. She also brought crisps, biscuits, baked beans and rice pudding! :j

My neighbour brought me 5lb of roast pork which I have bagged up and frozen. They had a hog roast and had lots left over. I was also given a huge trout too at the weekend.:j

My menu planning is going to change as I had planned on sausage casserole for tonight and now need to use lots of peppers quickly.

:jSo a NSD and all the free food is quite a result!:j

I should manage to be well within budget now. DS hasn't worked since mid Feb and is on a small pension and is self mployed so no benefits for him so this will really help.:D
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,613
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    poohbear59 wrote: »
    and now need to use lots of peppers quickly
    I buy the value bags (normally when in Whoopsie as well ;) ), then chop or slice them before freezing. My DS wouldn't thank me for using them at all, so can only sneak in small quantities at a time to casseroles or bolognese etc.
    Cheryl
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hi....just a quickie i was in tesco this morning and saw a board saying that u could use the morrisons daily paper (mirror ??) offer ( i think its £5 off £30 shop) in tesco....this was in coventry might need to check its national...oh and the cheap curry sauce is back to 7p.....still not 4p but not bad

hth someone
    tess
    onwards and upwards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills