Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread

Has anyone been able to replicate the delicious Tiger bread that Asda make?

It's the ONLY bread I ever buy but I have not got the nerve to ask them for the recipe.

:)

Comments

• filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    I Googled and all I could find was loads of other people asking for the recipe :o The nutty flavour comes from sesame oil and the mottled crust is due to a rice paste glaze, but I can't find a proper recipe. You can also buy it in Sainsbury's, Tesco and Waitrose so given it's growing popularity I hope some keen cook makes the recipe public soon.
  • ioscorpio
    ioscorpio Posts: 2,360
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I bought a loaf from Morrisons today it's on offer for 57p for a 800g loaf, I'd never seen or heard of it before, but thought I'd give it a try. Not sure on the taste though! I'll finish the loaf to see if it grows on me.
  • Found it!

The bread mix is standard but the clever bit is the topping, I found one recipe for it, however it is commercial sized so you will need to proportion it down to size, this is to go with 5Kg of flour!

Rice Flour 1 1/2 Kg
    Water 1 1/2 Kg
    Sugar 90 grm
    Vegetable Oil 75 grm
    Salt 30grm
    Fresh Yeast 30grm (or 1 sachet Instant)

Mix all ingredients for the Tiger Skin together till smooth - set aside
    Make your usual white bread, mould or tin it, spread tiger mix evenly on top of dough, prove for about 55 minutes, bake at 200 deg for about 55 minutes or until cooked.
    Hope this helps.
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • Just found this recipe link....its just for the ingredients so not sure if it would be suitable for a bread maker....

http://share.geocities.com/Heartland/Lake/9478/tiger.html
    :)The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

:)"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    I was looking a recipe a couple of months ago & found this one HERE for the rice flour paste, it needs sesame though & scaling down! :eek:

oops, cross-posting Mr Proctalgia :o sorry, I'm a very slow typer
  • Swan_2
    this is to go with 5Kg of flour!

Rice Flour 1 1/2 Kg
    Water 1 1/2 Kg
    Sugar 90 grm
    Vegetable Oil 75 grm
    Salt 30grm
    Fresh Yeast 30grm (or 1 sachet Instant)

for hand-made bread I usually use 500g of flour, so ... if we divide that recipe by 10 it should work for 1 large loaf

Rice flour 150g
    Water 150g
    Sugar 9g
    Oil 7.5g
    Salt 3g
    Fresh yeast 3g ... or 1 1/2 dried???

sounds like it'll still make quite a lot & we still have to get the sesame in ... maybe sesame oil instead of veg oil would work?

I can't get rice flour till Monday :rolleyes: or I'd give it a go now
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    I heard that it was something to do with them spraying the loaves with water towards the end of cooking to make the crust crack. I've never noticed a different taste to the crust and I've bought lots of tiger tails, paws etc from Asda and our local bakers.
  • carol_a_3
  • Swan_2
    carol_a wrote:
    I've never noticed a different taste to the crust and I've bought lots of tiger tails, paws etc from Asda and our local bakers.

I've always thought the crust has a subtle sesame flavour, but I guess taste is a very subjective thing & we all perceive flavours differently :)

as regards the recipes, I think some experimentation is in order. either that or find someone who knows a baker & pick their brains/bribe them/indulge in a bit of industrial espionage :D
  • carol_a_3
    I will ask next time I'm in Asda, the people I see filling up the bread shelves always look pretty friendly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure