PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread

Options

Comments

• carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't seen anyone to ask yet but looked at the labels on the tiger bread and it said "contains seseme" so think you all must be right with the above concoctions! They also do "hedgehog" bread" but that's just got the crusts snipped with a knife or scissors to make the spines.
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    carol_a wrote:
    Haven't seen anyone to ask yet but looked at the labels on the tiger bread and it said "contains seseme" so think you all must be right with the above concoctions!
    I wasn't imagining things then! :)

I got some rice flour yesterday, so will give it a try later in the week. I don't have access to a proper oven just now & have only just got my breadmaker & am still experimenting with it, so I'm not sure how reliable the result will be, but I'll keep you posted
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    Thank goodness the hedghog bread didn't say "contains hedghog"!!!
  • Swan_2
    Options
    exactly what I was thinking :D
  • Swan_2
    Options
    well, I tried it out yesterday, the result looked good, but was quite different from the Asda/Tesco version :(

I used the standard white bread recipe for my MR breadmaker & the loaf itself was very nice (cut down on the salt & the outrageous amount of sugar though)

I had to scale the Tiger topping quantities down even more (started with 50g rice flour & still had far too much) & found it was very runny, so less water next attempt

the topping cracked nicely to give a Tiger-ish appearance, but the top topping stayed white, although where it had run down the sides it was nicely browned. I think this is a recipe probably better suited to traditional bread baking rather than a bread maker, unless you have the Panasonic which seems to brown the top crust well

but saddest of all, the flavour was nothing like the shop ones, even though I used sesame oil in the mix it just didn't taste of anything. I think I'll have to take a trip to Asda & check out their ingredients list

I've found another slightly different recipe in THIS book, so I think I might try that next time, once I've worked out how to get more sesame in

anyone else want to give it a try? :)
  • Mr_Proctalgia
    Options
    I tried it two days ago, but I oven bake my bread, it had the desired effect but wasn't the "same" if you get my drift. I need to look further into this; after all it is only a covering that has no gluten and so will crack as the bread proofs underneath it? I need to see whether or not "oven spring" will do it as well as my loaf was all cracks and no covering.

Ah well - Back to the drawing board!
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • Swan_2
    Options
    it is only a covering that has no gluten and so will crack as the bread proofs underneath it?
    I was wondering about that too, what is the function of the yeast in the mix?

this recipe for a Mottled Glaze* sounds similar & has yeast in it too, so I guess it must do something :confused:

dissolve 1/2 teaspoon dried yeast & 1 teaspoon sugar in 2 fl oz warm water. leave to activate till surface is covered in bubbles. stir in 1oz cornflour & 1 teaspoon olive oil. stand till surface is covered in bubbles again. paint on loaves just before they go into the oven

*from Harold Bagust's Breadmaking At Home
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    I came across this post whilst looking for a tiger bread recipe for my dad. Can anyone tell me if they have had success with replicating the tiger bread and what ingredients were used please.

Regards
    Pipkin xxx
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    Options
    Couldn't help but add to this thread. DS1 had to describe a healthy lunch box for a school project. As part of this he wrote "a cheese tiger's paw" (the name Asda give to their Tiger's Bread rolls) - the teacher put a big question mark next to it and wrote "Are you sure about this James? What do you mean!?"
    Obviously not an Asda shopper! :D
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My daughter asked one of the ladies in Asda how they made it and she said they spread sesame paste on top before baking.

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure