November 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• My total for November is £88.03. Can you pop me down for £120 for December please.
    Grocery Challenge - May £20/ £80
    2009 Sealed Pot Challenge #305 - £216 /£300
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    I have just updated my total to £235.54 for the month so far, but as we still have a few days to go, I will probably have to buy milk and bread and possible more bananas! Have used up all of the Healthy start vouchers now. So we will see. But the cupboards and fridge are pretty full. Must go and see whats in the freezer outside, I keep forgetting its out there!!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just to say well done everyone this month.
    From now on I plan to be a GC lurker :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: again, as I am not posting totals and tbh find I don't have that much to add anymore. Thanks :T :T :T :T all of you for your support over the last few months and good luck!
    I will style be on old style board though so no doubt see most of you somewhere around there!
    :wave: :wave:
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Tashja
    Tashja Posts: 1,214
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi all !!!

Hope we are all ok today - it is bl00dy freezing here. Hoping for a NSD though because it is just too cold to venture out.

Also have had a huge load of free food from my grandads allotment sent to me yesterday and I need ideas though I think alot of it will need freezing.

I have :-

2.5 carrier bags of cooking apples
    1 carrier bag of leeks
    1 huge turnip/swede
    4 parsnips
    1 stringof onions
    1 carrier bag of potatoes

It also means my meal plan for this week goes out the window - lol

I was hoping tonight to do a leek and potato cobbler (with the scone & cheese topping) but could really do with some help on the scone recipe.

I am going to follow that with apple pie and clotted cream (2 tubs were also sent up :))

We also recieved 5 cornish pasties (eaten for tea last night) and a saffron cake (also eaten for tea last night!!)

Obviously this week should be a no spend week !!!

So any suggestions for the above and also the scone recipe for the cobbler !!!

T xx
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi tash

I concocted a chicken n leek cobbler.. my topping is:-
    1. 225g SR flour
    2. 1/2tsp salt
    3. 1/2tp mustard powder (optional)
    4. 40g butter
    5. approx 150ml milk
    just rub the fat into the flour and salt then add the milk and stir with a knife-then bring to a ball with your hands -
    Rather than rolling out and having to re-roll scraps -I weigh the dough then cut it into the number I want (that mix does 8) and shape into balls and flatten slightly -they go heavy if you try to re-heat them -so If you don;t want to eat all 8 with the meal stick the extras to bake seperately ;)

I also sprinkle some strong cheese over when it goes in the oven,
    and sometimes ad grated parmesan to the flour :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • good afternoon.....i went to aldi today and got a butternut squash for 69p...i thought that was cheap...i also got reduced green beans for 39p....i then went to tesco and used up my tesco offers that come with the club card voucher.......the were great its scary how they know and manipulate what i buy essentially i got 3 for 2 on biscuits tinned veg and cheese.......also a £1 off surf......i also got a veg pack pack for a £ which i think worked out cheaper than the parsnips and swede i wanted to buy.........total bill£1.14 not bad......we had £10 meal deal from m and s and it had roast vegwith it.....lovely im going to have a go at making my own....chop up pasnips potatoes swede carrot (or whatever u fancy) and mix together abit of oil and your choice of herbs...im using thyme because i like it:p then roast the mand s took an hour but im going to see how i go time wise.... take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Tashja
    Tashja Posts: 1,214
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks MrsM !!

The filling is done as st the apple pie so only he scone bits to do. I am sure with a starving DH and DS 8 will get eaten no problems !!! lol

T xx
  • Current total is £83.19 ot of my November budget of £200 :j

Our first baby was born this month, and as such all our relatives keep turning up with free shopping for us - Result! The savings from this month's budget will come in handy for Christmas food shopping (and SMA!!!)

Hoping to do a shop at Tesco on Thusrday this week - will update then x
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Hello all!
    Just popping on to declare at £168.39 (from a total of £180).:j

I'm very pleased with this as I still have almost a freezer full of meat, fish and veggie things and the cupboards are full of tins, jars and dried stuff.

I'm hoping to stick to £150 for the 4 weeks of December excluding Xmas week which comes froma different budget.
    So Mrs M £150 for December please!

This week's main shop will be on Sat/Sun and hopefully with a bit of planning I can get away with buying just F&V, dog food and toiletries. I really do need to get back to meal planning - I've been travelling a lot with work over the past 2 weeks (only been home for a day or two at a time) but that's hopefully all over with until after Xmas now so I have no excuse! So tonight when the footie is on the telly I'll go through and make up some concoctions for the next few weeks.

It's HM leek and potato soup and dumplings for tea tonight with an extra portion for lunch on Thursday or another tea for later in the week. Yummy - proper line your belly winter food!

Anyway, see you over on December's thread!
    R
  • Current total is £83.19 ot of my November budget of £200 :j

Our first baby was born this month, and as such all our relatives keep turning up with free shopping for us - Result! The savings from this month's budget will come in handy for Christmas food shopping (and SMA!!!)

Hoping to do a shop at Tesco on Thusrday this week - will update then x

congratulations on the new baby, did you have a boy or girl? The savings on the budget are the icing on the cake!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure