Forgotten Puddings?

Does anyone else still make their own bread pudding?
Most people I talk to about it have either never heard of it or just think of the shop bought version (bland and dry imho).
My family love it either with custard or on its own and it means that I very very rarely throw any bread away.

Another one is Macaroni pudding made the same way as rice pudding. My eldest son went on a school trip a few years ago and made this on a hob for the rest of the lads and teacher on the trip, not one person had ever even heard of eating macaroni this way.

I grew up enjoying both of these, but they seem to have been forgotton nowadays (ooooh I feel old now :rolleyes: )
'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
Jane Sequichie Hifler
Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• I used to make this with my Nan when I was little! Do you have a recipe - my little girl is a right pudding fan and would love it!
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Oooh yes,I make bread pud alot-excellent way of using up bread crusts that I can't bear to throw away 'cos i made them.

I leave out the egg in my recipe as dd is allergic and it makes no difference to the pud and saves price of an egg.

The other day I made a particularly delish version using leftover mincemat to replace all the dried fruit and spices.Yum yum.

I also make suet puds,treacle tart(fave pud of Harry Potter),crumbles,choc fudge pud and others that I can't remember just now.We save them for the weekend and have fruit during the week. :)
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Oh yes - puddings :D Yum

There are quite a few posts on here about the humble bread and butter puds as well as other favourites. In the recipe thread you'll find some good 'uns too.

Since I've become more OS, I've put on too much weight though :( I put it all down to the fact that I like to make a pud. Tonight we had apple sponge and custard - what a fab way to use up some past their best eating apples, esp when the kids love the sponge and custard too.

I love milk puds too - tapioca is my fave, although I have to admit that as a girl guide, my nick-name was ambrosia, on account of the amount of rice pud I could put away in a single sitting :whistle:
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    This is my recipe if anyone's interested.It makes a huge pud-I use a large roasting tin,I freeze leftovers.

soak together for a couple of hours
    2 lb breadcrumbs/crusts-any bread
    1 pt milk

beat the lumps out with a fork-it doesn't have to be completely smooth
    add
    4 oz soft brown sugar
    1 lb mixed dried fruit and/or candied peel
    2 oz self-raising flour
    3 tsp mixed spice
    1 packet of melted butter(or 250g melted marge if you must)
    2 tbsp golden syrup
    1 tbsp marmalade(not essential)

mix well, pour into large greased tin/dish
    bake for 1 hour at 180c(not sure what gas)

HTH :)
  • sproggi
    sproggi Posts: 1,560
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Bread Pudding:

8oz stale bread and crusts
    6oz mixed dried fruit
    2oz sugar
    1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
    3oz butter (or marg)
    1 egg beaten
    1 tbsp milk

soak bread in a little water for at least 30 mins. Squeeze out all the water and place bread in a bowl. Add dried fruit, sugar and spice, then add butter, egg and milk and mix well. Tip into greased ovenproof dish (2 pint size) and bake at 325f/160c/mark 5, for about 40-50 mins until just set.

Suet pudding, Treacle tart Mmmmmmm I can feel the inches going on just thinking about them!!!
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    If I don't have alot of bread. I make more of the egg custard mixture and the middle becomes a fruity egg custard with a crunchy brown sugar bread crust. mmmmmmmmm!
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • sproggi
    Forumite
    Sorry, slow typer :(

Your recipe sounds yummy Thriftlady, I will have to try it next time and I didn't realise that you could freeze it!
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    You can make both jam sponge and treacle sponge in a microwave in 3 minutes. Yum.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Boomdocker
    Boomdocker Posts: 1,201
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Rikki, your going to have to tell us how, they both sound scrummy. :j
    Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00
  • sproggi
    Forumite
    That's how I do them too Rikki, it's great if you need a delicious pudding in double quick time :)
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Benjamin Franklin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills