Breakfast ideas (apart from toast or cereal).

Comments

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Tesco value Porridge, made with skimmed milk in winter & microwaved for about 2 mins on high or water & served cold in summer, topped with a large tablespoon of Tesco high fibre bran (well.....you know:o ) and sometimes some dried fruit or a grated apple or some honey but the bran actually makes it sweeter so I don't add sugar.

I do buy crumpets & bagles when they are reduced & keep in the freezer to occasioanly rign the changes or when I have to get an early morning train or something, however I always get hungary mid-morning after these, I never seem to get hungary after the porridge.

Weekends tend to be poached eggs on toast or waffles followed by fruit or a youghurt.

HTH
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Daisy
    Daisy Posts: 156 Forumite
    Lillibet wrote:
    I never seem to get hungary after the porridge.
    Yeah same here. Since changing to porridge a month ago, (and a piece of fruit) I don't get hungry now til lunch time. I always thought porridge was a pain to make because I could never judge the right amount of milk to use and didn't want to have to wash up the measuring jug each time. What I recently did though was measure the milk and then put it into a mug. I now know to fill the mug to just below the handle and then I use the mug later when I have a cup of tea so no additional pots!
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I rarely eat breakfast, although the last few mornings I've been around early enough to cook bacon, eggs and beans for DS before school, but if I do I usually have porridge or muesli (neither of which DS will eat :rolleyes: )

I'm fed up of paying excessive prices for commercial muesli though so have just ordered some wheat flakes and sunflower seeds, from the Goodness Direct site I mentioned on another thread, to add to some Tesco value oats and a selection of dried fruits and nuts so I can make my own, with no added salt or sugar!

I've also noted the JO recipe posted earlier for Pukkolla which sounds yummy so I'll give that a try too!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• bluemoon_3
    bluemoon_3 Posts: 297 Forumite
    I have the same most days:

1/2 apple, chopped, 1/2 banana, chopped, nuts and seeds (pref. walnuts for omega 3's, a brazil for selenium, almonds for calcium, and sunflower seeds, or just whatever I have at hand), handful of tesco value oats, tesco value sultanas, mixed up in a bowl and covered in fortified sweetened soymilk and a tablespoon or two of blackstrap molasses.

:D

It's filling, refreshing, and boy does it pack a nutrional punch! I always feel, if I start the day off on this nice healthy note, I tend to carry on eating well throughout the day. The BS Molasses definitely satisfies my morning sweet-tooth, while being packed full of nutrients.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742 :j
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    I never feel like eating until I've been up and about for a couple of hours, but then I'm suddenly ravenous!

I spread 4 Ryvitas with low fat spread and cream cheese or marmite, sandwich them together and take them with me in a plastic bag for when the hunger pangs arrive. They don't take much room in a handbag, and it takes seconds to assemble.

Sometimes I'll take cream crackers or water biscuits instead of Ryvita.

p.s. If the OP is rushing out to work, then why not keep a pack of savoury biscuits or crispbreads and a tube of Primula cheese spread in your desk drawer, for those occasions when you have to dash out completely unprepared (eating-wise - I trust you have time to dress! ;) ).
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Eliza252
    Eliza252 Posts: 449 Forumite
    bluemoon wrote:
    I have the same most days:

1/2 apple, chopped, 1/2 banana, chopped, nuts and seeds (pref. walnuts for omega 3's, a brazil for selenium, almonds for calcium, and sunflower seeds, or just whatever I have at hand), handful of tesco value oats, tesco value sultanas, mixed up in a bowl and covered in fortified sweetened soymilk and a tablespoon or two of blackstrap molasses.

:D

It's filling, refreshing, and boy does it pack a nutrional punch! I always feel, if I start the day off on this nice healthy note, I tend to carry on eating well throughout the day. The BS Molasses definitely satisfies my morning sweet-tooth, while being packed full of nutrients.

do you cook it?
    I've made my debts bite-size too depressing to look at all at once so am handling them one at a time - first up Graduate Loan £1720 paid off! only £280 to go!!!
    Money to raise for tuition fees: £3000
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!
  • bluemoon_3
    bluemoon_3 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Eliza252 wrote:
    do you cook it?

Nope, just chuck it in a bowl and eat it raw. :)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742 :j
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm rubbish at breakfast. I find eating a real chore first thing - I'm much better once I've been up for an hour of two. When I'm on earlies at work (5am get up) I take a probiotic yoghurt drink & a cereal bar to work & eat that once I've been at work for about an hour. Sweet goes down better than savoury, so if I'm having a early morning workout then I munch a couple of biscuits & a banana in the car. Not very nutritious but better than fainting in the gym!
  • Eliza252
    Eliza252 Posts: 449 Forumite
    Well I'm a convert!
    I've got my porridge oats, my apple, my walnets, some honey, some cinnamon and a load of sulatanas (eerrr.. although I have munched on quite a few of those already :cool: :A )
    Tommorow will have an exciting breakfast, maybe it will convince me to get out of bed when my alarm actually goes off instead of half an hour later when my 'emergency' alarm goes off at the back of my wardrobe (so I cant switch it off in my sleep!)
    Am looking forward already.. :D
    I've made my debts bite-size too depressing to look at all at once so am handling them one at a time - first up Graduate Loan £1720 paid off! only £280 to go!!!
    Money to raise for tuition fees: £3000
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!
  • JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    with the return to school nearly upon us, i have been trying to think of things i can give my kids for breakfast without resorting to "cereal". we have come a long way, 6 months ago DS1 would only entertain chocolate breakfast cereal, we havent had a box of that in the house for months now!

i want to give my kids something filling and healthy but am a bit stuck....? any ideas?
    November NSD's - 7
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport