July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Diane_239
    Diane_239 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Well today i started the Aug challenge manged to do a 4 week meal plan,ordered big shop from Asda £78,butchers£30 and fruit and veg from market £10,
    Both freezer and cupboards look more healthy and full.know i will aim for has many Nsd as possible.kids back tomorrow so am baking biscuits and cakes.will give the iced bun cakes a go.
    Does anyone make there own nan bread?
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge.[£200/£200]
    Aug Grocery Challenge £200
  • *BigBird*
    *BigBird* Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Oops, forgot the question I wanted to ask! Doh!

Am making a trifle this weekend. What's he best type of cake/sponge to use? Bog-standard trifle sponge, or can I make it a bit more exciting by using something different?
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    angelnikki wrote: »
    Hi Den

I think thats the right way to do it :D

I increase/decrease the weekly budget depending on the previous months performance. I also make sure that my budget is achievable. I know some may see this as the wrong way to do it but if my budget is higher and more realistic of what I'm likely to spend then it helps motivate me to try and beat the target, rather than setting a lower target and finding it too tight to succeed.

Nikki x
    Kaz2904 wrote: »
    Denise, when I planned my budget I looked at what I had to pay for yearly (insurances gifts and the like) and divide it by 12. Then I added what I pay monthly. Then I work out a fuel budget, a family leisure budget, and mine and DH's pocket money. Then when I know what's left I look at what I'm able to spend. Some has to go to savings and some has to go to house renovation. That leaves my grocery budget.
    HTHs anyone else too.

Thanks Nikki & Kaz,

Thank you so much for your ideas. :heartpuls I think you're both right. I use microsoft money, so I can easily do a budget of the last year, work out where our money has been going, etc, although it might not be totally right as i used to forget sometimes why we withdrew cash, etc, but it will give me a good idea to work from.

All bills, insurances, ect are already sorted and budgeted for, so it is only extra costs - groceries, diesel, gifts, prescriptions, etc, so I will have to see what we have left and work out a budget to that accordingly - hopefully better than I have been x

Had another NSD today and finally got off my backside and did some work - did another HM minced beef & onion pie with HM chips and beans, plus have a massive pot of Parsnip & Apple soup on the stove cooling at the moment ready for freezing (although there may be less of it by then) - numnumnum!

:shhh: PS: Nikki, you keep squirrelling those savings away - if your exOH wants to waste money on carp, then you should at least have the benefit of being able to save for it eh! :shhh:

PPS: Nanny Ogg - you naughty thing you, I never looked at that part before, just saw it as a group hug :rotfl:
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Big bird...

oooohhh you can't beat swiss roll in a triffle - i used to like the jam n cream one :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • *BigBird*
    *BigBird* Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    plus have a massive pot of Parsnip & Apple soup on the stove cooling at the moment ready for freezing (although there may be less of it by then) - numnumnum!

Ooo, could you post the recipe for this, pretty please :D It sounds delish!

Thanks for the tip Mrs M, I'll give swiss roll a go.
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • skintscotslass
    skintscotslass Posts: 2,860
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Diane_239 wrote: »
    Well today i started the Aug challenge manged to do a 4 week meal plan,ordered big shop from Asda £78,butchers£30 and fruit and veg from market £10,
    Both freezer and cupboards look more healthy and full.know i will aim for has many Nsd as possible.kids back tomorrow so am baking biscuits and cakes.will give the iced bun cakes a go.

Diane - I dont make nan bread but I do like indian courgette bread which we usually have with a curry. Its a nice easy one :D

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1695/indian-bread-with-courgettes-and-coriander
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    shala_moo wrote: »
    Has any one been to Tesco today... If you spend more than £30 at ours they are giving you 40 Tetley teabags and a packet of Maryland cookies for FREE. I was wondering if it was a nationwide thing.. very odd.. you fetch them after you've done your shopping/check out.

I just got a leaflet through with this week's advertiser saying they are doing this at the Tesco Extra in Yarmouth. So it looks like its a nationwide thing ;)

Free Tetley tea bags & Maryland cookies when you spend £30 or more in store. Ends Sunday 27th July

Shame I dont shop in store :(

Nikki x
    :A
  • Flylady_Flower
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    *BigBird* wrote: »
    Ooo, could you post the recipe for this, pretty please :D It sounds delish!

No problem, I'm not sure who originally posted it (would have been on the May or June GC I think?) but it really is lovely, so thank you to whoever posted first:

Parsnip & Apple Soup
    • 50g Butter
    • 5 parsnips, peeled & cut into chunks
    • 1 large bramley apple, peeled and cut into chunks
    • 1 ltr veg stock
    • 600ml milk
    • salt & pepper to taste
    1. Melt the butter in a pan
    2. Add the chopped parsnips & apple and cook on a low heat for 5-10 mins. (I turned them here to make sure coated in the butter).
    3. Add the stock and simmer for 20 mins or until the parsnips are cooked and soft.
    4. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
    5. Add the milk (it may curdle but don't worry)
    6. Blend
    7. If freezing, season to taste and put into whatever containers you want to freeze in - someone on here mentioned putting a freezer bag into a mug and freezing in that, then taking the mug out after it is frozen - ideal for re-heating and serving individual portions.
    8. If serving then and there, return to pan, season to taste, re-heat and serve.
    They also mentioned that you don't have to add the milk until you want to eat it (only make sure you divide into equal portions and note on each portion how much of the milk to add when defrosted). I have only done it once before and it was wonderful, but apparently it is a very forgiving soup and usually comes out slightly different but still yummy each time - must be if I can do it! :D:D
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Diane_239 wrote: »
    Diane- recipe for naan bread (makes 4)
    (I think this came from Asda magazine a few years back)
    • 350g (12oz) strong white bread flr
    • 1 sachet (7g) dried yeast
    • 150ml (1/4 pint) natural yoghurt
    • 2tbsp fresh coriander or cumin seeds (optional)
    • 1 tsp salt.
    1. Mix flour, yeast and salt in a bowl.
    2. Add the warm water and yoghurt.
    3. Mix to a soft dough and add coriander if using.
    4. Knead on floured surface for 5 mins.
    5. Return to bowl and cover with cling film or tea towel.
    6. Leave 1-1.5 hours or until tripled in size.
    7. Preheat oven to 200/Fan 180/Gas 6.
    8. Turn out dough onto floured surface and knead lightly. Divide into 4 balls.
    9. Roll each into 15 by 25cm (6 x 10 in) oval and place on oiled baking sheets.
    10. Scatter over cumin if using.
    11. Bake for 8-10 min until crisp and golden in places.
    hth

Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Flylady_Flower
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    angelnikki wrote: »
    I just got a leaflet through with this week's advertiser saying they are doing this at the Tesco Extra in Yarmouth. So it looks like its a nationwide thing ;)

Free Tetley tea bags & Maryland cookies when you spend £30 or more in store. Ends Sunday 27th July

Shame I dont shop in store :(

Nikki x

It's in ours too (Pitsea and Basildon) so def countrywide - Nikki, why not ask when you place your order online? must be worth a try??? Maybe ring and ask and they may give you a code :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income