July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Justamum wrote: »
    Would that be safe? You said the meat has been cooked and frozen already, so can you cook it and freeze it again. It would end up being cooked 3 times :eek:. Just concerned for your health, not being a know-it-all :D. I might copy your idea and use soya mince (though DH does like a bottom on his pie :D)

Thanks for thinking of me - realised that after I had cooked up a great big tray of it :mad: , told hubby and he said we'd have it again tomorrow as it was lovely (really filling too - sat for ages eating it as I was really enjoying it but think I dished up a bit too much.... :D ). I'm going to give mum some too so it won't go to waste.
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    aw thanx hun.its actually my fridge freezer thats broken....the freezer bit's fine, its just the fridge isn't getting cold enough. apparently it needs a new sensor :confused: but thanx for thinkin of me, that means a lot :A
    Mandy_Moo, do you know a 'guy/gal that does'?

as you know what the problem is now, you can usually buy the part and then get someone else to fit it for you. I often have to do stuff to my washing machine, but you can get the part for a fraction of the price you would pay through the fitter and most of the time these things are really easy to fit - I often ask the guy at the place I buy the bit for.

You can get parts from this website http://www.speedyspares-appliances.com/ or try yell.com for your nearest supplier.

Hope that helps
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Afternoon all

Well i went on my "whoopsie hunt" to the NAFFI this morning..and woo hoo :j I spent €36.21 when it should have been €79.91 :T .... including 8x2litre bottles of whole fresh milk, 6 granary bread flour, 5 lancashire/leicester cheese for hubby, fresh chicken €2 , packs of peppers, 3 marscapone, jacket potatoes, bananas, broccoli
    Have enough flour, cheese, marscapone etc to last several months (just need to track down marscapone recipes):D

I made the cauli/broccoli cheese and we have had it with roast chicken, steamed potatoes and lots of the veggies from the garden -we still have about 3/4 of the cauli cheese left and lots of extra cheese sauce so i will freeze that up later,
    have also used one of the big courgettes with lots of other veggies, garlic, tomatoes, soya beans, smoked paprika to make a casserole thingy -which i will freeze in portions to -if i have enough room in the freezers :o
    Im going to try and ignore the 14 pieces of banana and coconut cake and the kiwi muffins i made and froze just before i went away ...had forgot about those until i went in the freezer earlier :rotfl: ..think i will stick them in hubbies sandwich box 1 at a time until they are gone ;)

hugs to all those in need today... have a good day everyone and keep at it..
    MrsM could you post the recipe when you get a minute ?
    Many thanks :)
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi Orkneystar -here you go :-

KIWI MUFFINS -makes 12
    preheat oven to 200
    1. 2 cups plain flour
    2. 1tbs baking powder
    3. 3/4tsp salt
    4. 1/3 cup sugar
    5. 1/4tsp cinnamon
    6. 1 egg
    7. 1 cup milk
    8. 1/4 cup oil -i used sunflower
    9. 3 kiwi -peeled and mashed
    • mix 1-5 in a bowl
    • mix 6-8 in a jug and then add to dry mix and stir to combine -don't over mix
    • stir in mashed kiwi
    • divide into 2 muffin cases and bake for 20 mins
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • saffouri
    saffouri Posts: 82 Forumite
    Hi all just popped in to update my sig, and about to go cook dinner.

Was really pleased to see Twink's hobnobs get a mention in the weekly MSE email - good on you whoever it was who wrote in to insist they join the list of favourite biscuits!

Hope the grey gloom lifts soon.... we are having a camping holiday up north this year as part of our money saving.

saf
    March GC: £147.75/£180 groceries + £36.75/£50 meals out

February: £163.19/£180 + £66.14/£50 monthly budget for eating out Total £229.33/£230 :j
    January:
    £170.01/£170
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    OrkneyStar:

Lemon chicken

2 sliced skinless chicken breast fillets
    150ml chicken stock
    142ml carton single cream or milk
    grated zest & juice of ½ lemon
    1 tbsp cornflour, blended with a little cold water
    1. Cook the chicken in a frying pan until lightly browned & cooked through. Remove from the pan.
    2. Add the stock, cream/milk, lemon zest & juice and blended cornflour to the pan.
    3. Bring to the boil & simmer for 2 minutes, stirring continually until thickened & smooth. Add seasoning to taste & return the chicken to the pan.
    4. Serve with cooked rice and veg of choice.
    ...Onion - diced
    Carrots - chopped into small pieces
    Swede - chopped into small pieces (adds a lovely flavour)

par-boil above ingredients, then add...

Did you actually boil the onions? Thanks for the recipe BTW - it does sound yummy :drool: I love minced beef & onion pie. Think I'm gonna do this as a way to use up some of the 7p puff pastry stash that I've got. :D Thanks for the idea.:A

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • LittleOne83
    LittleOne83 Posts: 206
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Haven't really posted much here but i'm on £45.**/£80 which is pretty good going.
    Only getting essentials like bread, milk, ham, cheese (chocolate) when I shop as I have tins of stuff and a freezer full of meals that I've told myself to work my way through.

This includes 2 meals out and a couple of bottles of wine too!
    So tempted to get a pizza.....must resist.
    Trying to remain debt free!
    Sept GC £24.10/£200
    Weekly spend £0/£50
    Sealed pot £3.15
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi everyone. Got back in one piece from the supermarket with MIL and was pleased that I spent well under what I expected, so I am quietly confident of making it this month! However, DD1 is sick and DH is bringing her home with him (a slight detour on his way home from London) so I will have an extra unplanned mouth to feed this weekend (but she's worth it!). Have updated my sig. By the way, Sainsbury's are doing lots of half price fruit, raspberries, nectarines, grapes etc and Bionsen roll-on deodorant is £1 off at 63p, so got 2 as DH likes these as they don't have aluminium in and so are less irritating for sensitive skin (ah!).

I am sure I have a recipe for a marscapone cheesecake somewhere - off to hunt it out and will post later if I find it.

Moniker
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Mascarpone and Lime Torte

200g ginger snap biscuits crushed
    50g butter melted
    2 x250g tubs Mascarpone cheese
    40g icing sugar sifted
    Finely grated zest and juice of 2 limes

To decorate: 50g dark chocolate, 50g caster sugar, a few grapes
    • Mix together the crushed biscuits and melted butter and press into the base of a 18cm spring sided or loose bottomed cake tin (I usually line it first).
    • Place the Mascarpone, icing sugar, lime zest and juice in a bowl and beat together. Spread over the biscuit base and child for 30 minutes.
    • Decorate by grating the chocolate over the top and add a few frosted grapes (by dipping in water, shaking off the excess and then dipping in cater sugar)

This recipe came from a Sainsbury’s recipe card. You could also do this with a lemon, but it might need a bit more sugar I think.

Moniker
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks MrsM and angelnikki for the kiwi muffin and lemon chicken recipes- will make both of those tomorrow :). Enough MSE for me now as my headache is still here :o.
    As I said I am hoping for NSD's for the rest of the month, so will pop to at least update those.
    So far its 9/35 NSD's, hoping to make it 12 more in a row, Aug starts 31/7.
    Bye for now :wave:
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure