July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• busy_mum_4
    busy_mum_4 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Good Morning all, Big smiles:smiley: to all of those who are feeling a bit down today.

I have just found a box of creamed coconut sachets in my cupboard and I have 2 questions...

1, Can I use this as it was out of date Feb 08?

2, If so, what do I do with it, as recipe on back of packet sounds awful.

Thanks
    :hello: JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50 :eek:

WEEK 2 = £60.83:eek:
    Week 3 :mad: £72.05 :mad:
  • MissPin
    MissPin Posts: 23 Forumite
    I had a triumph in the kitchen today.

For dinner today I made from scratch toad in the hole. :j Now I know there are some excellent cooks on here but I'm not one of them - I'm worse than a beginner really! The family really enjoyed it and DH has said that it tasted much better than his dad's! :beer:

Is the recipe already up? I have been thinking all week about making toad in the hole and don't have a recipe for it.

Have to say I am getting pretty hooked on NOT spending money! The idea of coming in at the end of the month under budget is so appealing! Having said that I still have a good 10 days to go and about £34.00 left so you never know! But to everyone who has joined in the last few days - it is SO worth it! Everyone is really supportive and helpful and makes you WANT to do it!

Happy Wednedsay everyone:D
    GC July £110/£97.21 already spent:rolleyes:

GC August £100/£87.98 already spent:eek:
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    good morning all

just had brekkie will stay in today and have an NSD today as I seem to have everything in at the moment

may bake as we have no twinks and no iced buns which we do like

see ya soon
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• nellis10
    nellis10 Posts: 1,350
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Am well into Week 3 for this month and not shopped yet...dragging it out as long as possible, but I do need to top up with bread and milk at least today! Here's hoping for some good savings this month!!
    2024 Challenges
    • Grocery Budget (January £0/£300)
    • Decluttering (Underway!)
    • Frugal Living (January £0/£500
    • 24 in 2024 (0/24)
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi all

Had a little farm shop spend on Mon - £6 something added to sig. Sent DH so he stuck to the list, trouble is he gets all the rotten-looking F&V so not much saving really! Has a NSD yesterday but will soon be forced out to the shops, suffering withdrawal symptoms at the moment. I must motivate myself to get some stuff listed on eBay/update my website/ etc feel overwhelmed at the mo. All our 3 surviving parents are in hospital as of yesterday - different ones, of course, one of them 250 miles away..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sashanut wrote: »
    Hi all

Had a little farm shop spend on Mon - £6 something added to sig. Sent DH so he stuck to the list, trouble is he gets all the rotten-looking F&V so not much saving really! Has a NSD yesterday but will soon be forced out to the shops, suffering withdrawal symptoms at the moment. I must motivate myself to get some stuff listed on eBay/update my website/ etc feel overwhelmed at the mo. All our 3 surviving parents are in hospital as of yesterday - different ones, of course, one of them 250 miles away..
    Oh dear I hope your family all get well soon. My mum was in hospital a while back and it was hard being far away. She is on the mend though and hopefully will come on hols with us :D x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MissPin wrote: »
    Is the recipe already up? I have been thinking all week about making toad in the hole and don't have a recipe for it.

Have to say I am getting pretty hooked on NOT spending money! The idea of coming in at the end of the month under budget is so appealing! Having said that I still have a good 10 days to go and about £34.00 left so you never know! But to everyone who has joined in the last few days - it is SO worth it! Everyone is really supportive and helpful and makes you WANT to do it!

Happy Wednedsay everyone:D

Toad in the Hole

100g plain flour
    2 large eggs
    150ml each pint of milk and water mixed
    4 tbsp vegetable oil (or good ol lard lol)
    8 good quality thick pork sausages (I often use cumberland or sometimes nice local beef ones)
    2 onions peeled and sliced
    450ml gravy

Put flour in a bowl with 1/2 tsp salt and make a well in the centre- break eggs into the well. Gradually whisk the mixture until smooth.
    Preheat oven, 220/fan 200/gas 7.
    Use 1 tbsp of oil to fry the sausages and then drain them.
    Put remaining oil in roasting tin and heat for 4-5 mins in oven.
    Put sausages in the tin and pour the batter over.
    Bake for approx 35 min until risen and golden.
    Fry the onions until soft and then add to gravy.
    Pour gravy over as required to serve.

I often use a packet batter mix (the next one I am going to try is the Tesco value one which was 9p!). If making own batter apparently sparkling water can make it more airy!
    This is adapted from an Asda mag recipe.
    Funnliy enough I picked up my recipe book to find it fell open at the Toad in the Hole page!!!!
    Tesco have the value batter mix at 9p per pack and the McDougalls Puff Pastry mix at 7p per pack! the batter mix needs an egg and water so still quite cheap and the pastry one just needs water (saves the faff normally involved in making puff pastry- will report on how they taste once tried them).
    PS Anyone got a recipe for tomato and red pepper soup please ?
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• morning folks,

meant to post last night but felt cruddie so thought i'd rest and watch some trash telly instead. :D

not spent anything since sunday so yippeeeeeee but you never know when fate will send you shopping. ;)

OH and i have both managed to catch colds, (or Man Flu in his case) so i might have to get some more tissues, the rate he goes thro them you'd think no-one had ever had a cold before

was planning mac & cheese for dinner but haven't taken the cheese block out of the freezer, could i grate it from frozen??

hi to all the newbies and hugs to all who need them

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    newlywed wrote: »
    I'm on a DMP so with petrol having gone up there isn't any room in my budget for overspending and it's my prescriptions, haircuts, etc that get missed so that we can eat and get to work :o

I know what you mean, I've had this bad cold and chest thing now for over 2 weeks because I have put off going to the doctors as I know he will give me a prescription (I usually end up with about 3 items - antibods, steroids & they usually throw in something else too...:mad: ) so I have just been staying in and trying to get everything under control myself, which has taken ages and is not really good for me, but at £21 for 3 prescriptions, what do you do?
    I think it's disgusting really that you can't even afford to be ill now.

Mind, I'm annoyed with myself as I let it get me down and that's when we had KFC - which could have been £11 towards my scripts, so it's my own fault in a way, but i think it's a really sad state of affairs when you feel guilty for having one mishap eh!

Pink Princess, Thanks for the up on MrS's grapes - We love grapes in our house and I will have to go have a look - I got a really good deal in Lidl's the other day as black grapes were only 65p per kilo so I got too big bags (gone in no time :D ) not sure if they're still doing it, but might be worth a look.
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • turbo5019
    turbo5019 Posts: 331
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    dink1 wrote: »
    Turbo5019 - well done on your potatoes and veg from the garden, it makes you feel very clever when you pick and cook them doesnt it?
    It felt great I was like a kid in a sweet shop as I opened the bag they were growing in. Only another 14 bags to open :j
    NSD yesterday and hopefully today. Finding this month hard with DH home but he goes back to work on sun :T for 28 days so next month should be easier.

Angelnikki Hope you are feeling better I hate the dentist.

Better get on as DH has taken DD2 to the gym so an hr to myself.

Hugs to everyone who needs them.
    GC July £250/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family