July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• susan946
    susan946 Posts: 474 Forumite
    At last a sunny day!!! It makes you feel so much better. We went out to a French equivalent of a car boot sale this morning and I was pleased to get a small table for 10 euros - about £8 which I can sand down and paint. Now if this better weather keeps up I should get it done quite quickly!!!

I posted a few days back that I'd made jammy buns and gorgot to post the recipe. So, a bit late but.........

Jammy Buns

3oz butter or margerine
    8oz self raising flour
    a pinch of salt
    4ozr sugar

mixed spice (optional)
    3-4 tablespoons milk
    jam

Rub the fat into the sieved flour and salt. Stir in the spice and sugar. Make a well in the centre and pour in 3 tablespoons milk and gradually stir in the dry ingredients adding more milk if necessary to give a stiff dough. Turn out onto a floured board and form into a roll. Cut off pieces .75 inch thick. Flatten and put o drop of jam on each. Work each into a ball so that the jam is completely sealed in the middle. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 15-20 minutes at 200 degrees Centigrade. Cool on a wire tray. Alternatively the dough can be made in a food processor. Zizz the fat, flour, salt, spice and sugar until it reaches the breadcrumb stage, then add the milk and zizz until it forms a ball. Turn out onto a floured board and continue as above.
    Being fat free these are better eaten fresh, but they freeze well and can be thawed as needed.

Rather than sprinkling the tops of the buns with sugar, granny used to make a glaze with caster sugar and water but this is too sweet for my taste, so I prefer either to leave them plain or to sprinkle sugar on them for texture.
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    hello everybody aint been around the last few days had 4 guests for the weekend so as you can imagine its been heckic to put it mildly :rotfl: ive gone over budget but has my new months starts on saturday for me so i hope wont do to bad (i hope) off to update hope your doing better then me xxx
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Well have been slaving away since I last posted and the bookcase looks more of a mess than ever - still I suppose you have to make a mess before you can start to clean up!

I meant to say last time that I made the Impossible Coconut Pie recipe for which was on here a few weeks ago (sorry can't remember who posted it) and OMG it is wonderful! I had difficulty finding a big enough tin to cook it in as it does need to be quite deep - but I had a large fluted flan tin in to which I placed a 10" round cake tin liner (one of a pack I bought ages ago from Lakeland but haven't got round to using!). It rose really well and we had it warm on Friday with cream, and then cold yesterday with raspberries and cream. There's enough for us again tonight too. Although it has a lot of eggs (4) it would easily serve 6 -8 people so not too extravagent, and it's really easy to make.

Here's the recipe again in case any one is interested:

Impossible Coconut Pie
    4 eggs
    6oz caster sugar
    2oz butter softened
    3oz plain flour sifted
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp vanilla essence
    3/4 pt milk (any sort)
    4 oz dessicated coconut

Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F gas 3-. Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat or whisk until everything is combined. Pour into a deep greased/lined ovenproof dish. (It will be very runny). Bake for 30 mins or until puffed up and golden. Allow to cool for 5-10 mins before cutting into wedges and serving (pie will deflate a bit ). Serve hot or cold with cream or ice cream.

It's not too sweet and it separates into layers - a thin pastry-like crust (mine was a bit more like batter!) and a custard middle and crunchy coconut topping. Seriously delish and not for those of you trying to lose weight!

Enjoy!

Moniker
  • jediteacher
    jediteacher Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Just got back from Aldi and spent £6.58 on mainly fruit and veg. Then popped into Asda and spend another £6.76 on milk and other essentials. Will do main shop tomorrow but can only spend £20 as this is all I have.

Will have coupons and this should help.
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.' :cool:
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.:j
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    1. Hope you enjoyed your first day JayJay..did you remember to take your new pencil case & milk money:p

2. MrsMc is hoping to be home later this week, so watch this space;) Hope you find the Potio Appotment in relatively good order---:rolleyes: do they have slugs in Germany?

3. You could try returning the cleaning stuff to the store Hev, if you've kept the receipt--worth a go if you don't have the receipt come to that, particularly if its an own label product.

4. My parents have suffered diabetes in various forms--Dad was insulin-dependant & Mum is tablet+diet--& quickly realised that if suffering with a cold etc, it would affect their sugar levels. Mum also has to be careful with pastry of all things; if she has a meat pie, her level is increased quite a bit the following day, so it's not just about added sugar....sorry if that came across as a bit 'preachy', but it took Mum a while to realise what does have 'cause & effect':o

5. THANKS A LOT! You could have put a warning on the iced buns, to let me know just how much of a mess I was getting in to:o In the end I had a splodge of dough on me baking tray, cutting off smaller blobs with a knife to make the buns....Y'know those slap-stick clowns that throw wallpaper paste over each other? That was me with the flour yesterday:rotfl:

6. I'm struggling with various flapjack recipes----I've tried many, but just can't seem to get it to cut into usable portions. The one I made yesterday is lovely taste & consistancy, but so so crumbly; others have been very dry & crumbly.....any :confused: as to what I'm doing wrong? I know my cooker is a law unto itself even tho it's been checked many times, so maybe I am justified in blaming my oven:p My sponges used to be wonderful, but now are more use as stepping stones:D

7. Have a look-see at the Store Cupboard Challenge...highly recommend running both so as to get maximum benefit from any grocery shopping.

8. Any idea what the speshis are in MrM this week? I've only been to me muvva's today--not even got a paper--& may well be passing a morrie sometime this week.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Just back from Mr T, spent £30.50 and have updated signature.

Country Life Butter still on 2 for £1.60
    Onken Biopot on 3 for £2
    Supercook stuff mostly sold out, got a couple of things, however i think someone else mentioned this too, some of the Dr Oetker stuff is going through at the reduced supercook prices:D Got jelly diamonds and lemon/orange slices at 12p each, sugar strands/sugar flowers 9p each. May make some fairy cakes later.
    Grr, just noticed my 4 for £2 didnt work on veg because the guy at checkout put my peppers through as orange rather than red. Orange peppers arent part of the offer:rolleyes: I would have saved £1.04 if he had put them through right, wonder if this is a ploy on tescos behalf?
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Moniker wrote: »
    I meant to say last time that I made the Impossible Coconut Pie recipe for which was on here a few weeks ago (sorry can't remember who posted it) and OMG it is wonderful!

That was sashanut's recipe she posted in the april challenge. Sounds really yummy, still need to find a tin to make it in...

The jammy buns sound delish too susan946 thanks for the recipe :)

BigMummaF my oven is pants too - normally takes at least half an hour to cook fairy cakes, and when I try to cook salmon portions after 30 mins at gas 9 they're still raw :confused: . I always end up using the microwave to finish it off. So now most of my meals are done on the hob instead. :p

Dinner tonight was yummy tuna potato salad cost per portion - 37p :)

I've got a MrT delivery booked for tomorrow. I think it's gonna come to about £80.

Offers at the mo:

Utterly Butterly 500g 2 for £1.50 (ends 29th)

Weetabix 24 pack 2 for £2 (ends tomorrow)

Linda McCartney 6 Sausages half price 84p (ends 22nd)

Peaches/ cherries/ strawberries/ plums all half price

Organic chicken thighs 400g/ organic chicken drumsticks 500g 2 for £5

Hovis White bread mix 30p/ Hovis Granary bread mix 35p

McDougalls Puff Pastry Mix 7p

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • mumofjusttwo
    mumofjusttwo Posts: 2,610
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just back from Mr T, spent £30.50 and have updated signature.

Country Life Butter still on 2 for £1.60
    Onken Biopot on 3 for £2
    Supercook stuff mostly sold out, got a couple of things, however i think someone else mentioned this too, some of the Dr Oetker stuff is going through at the reduced supercook prices:D Got jelly diamonds and lemon/orange slices at 12p each, sugar strands/sugar flowers 9p each. May make some fairy cakes later.
    Grr, just noticed my 4 for £2 didnt work on veg because the guy at checkout put my peppers through as orange rather than red. Orange peppers arent part of the offer:rolleyes: I would have saved £1.04 if he had put them through right, wonder if this is a ploy on tescos behalf?

G&B phone them up and tell them then they should give you Double the difference refund. :)
    Have to say I have stocked up on supercook stuff (very handy for the summer hols) and now also have some puff pastry mix and some lemon curd. All I need know is some recipes :D
    January Grocery 11/374
  • jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288
    First Post
    Forumite
    sashanut wrote: »
    nessquic80 wrote: »
    Not been on for a while but when i do i always save money been ringing VM inbetween cooking the chilli and shepherds pie just saved myself £126 for the year, im so pleased with myself:j :j :j quote]

Can I ask how you saved the money with VM please? I keep nagging DH to phone them but he is dragging his feet....meanwhile it is costing us £130 p/m:eek:

Wow £130 is alot :eek: , we are with VM and have broadband, phone (free local and national calls), TV all channels (we have the box in the lounge that you can stop, rewind, record etc, can't remember what it's called :o + an extra normal box in our bedroom), all the sky movie channels and sky the sports channels, and we pay £85 per month + any calls that don't fall into the national or local catagory, so normaly max £90 per month.

Jackie x
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    oops repeat post!
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure