June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• cheers BigMummaF, my mum will be very happy with that recipe.
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• We have never cooked rhubarb before freezing it - we simply cut into chunks and put into bags then freeze. We are still eating last years and it's great, simply defrost them simmer. Should we be cooking first?

I have always done the same as you - have never cooked it first!
  • Le_Foot
    Le_Foot Posts: 162 Forumite
    Mrs Mcawber, could you share your recipe for chicken and sweetcorn soup. I have a jug of stock osnd chicken bits that I made from a carcass, but if I don't use it soon, I will end up throwing it away.
    Thank you
    Feb. G.C. From Jan 26th £350.00
    First month..pure guess!! Wk. 1 £136.38 balance £213.62. Wk.2 £108.10p balance £105.52
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    We have never cooked rhubarb before freezing it - we simply cut into chunks and put into bags then freeze. We are still eating last years and it's great, simply defrost them simmer. Should we be cooking first?

I do it to save on freezer space and to avoid freezer burn. I don't think it is absolutley necessary. I just like it that way.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well just spent another £10-ish on groceries, that included £3.04 for a big bag of local flour to use half and half for bread, some cooking margarine at 88p, some puddings for DS (£3 for 3 in Boots, normally £1.49 each)- I do make stuff a lot but these are handy to have in stock, also some organic carrot crisps for him and some juice to drink when we were out and about (forgot his cup, d'oh!). Also got a cherry tom plant at a plant sale, for £1 and two strawb plants and a courgette plant at garden centre too (£1.25 each). Going transfer them to window box type things that can be moved around (not sure how well any of these will grow as not done them before). These will keep me with something to look at while the other seeds germinate! My lettuce is all germinating and my cucumber looks like some are too. Nothing on the tom or pepper seeds or my buckets outside yet but early days yet!
    Been a good girl and updated my signature.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Jumps wrote: »
    Good Morning all. I just though that I would pop in and update my siggy, as I has Mr T deliver last night. I have spent £80.87, this was Mr T and a trip to my local butchers yesterday.
    I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Oh does anyone have a recipe for dough balls (like the ones you get in Pizza Express) I have done a search but can't find anything.:rolleyes:

heres the recipe for the garlic dough balls, making the dough in the BM:

to make 6 dough balls,
    you need

5fl oz water
    1tbsp olive oil
    1tsp salt
    1/2tsp sugar
    1/2tsp italian herbs or oregano
    2 cups strong flour
    1/2tsp dried yeast

make dough in the BM
    when its finished, divide it into 6 equal balls
    mix a bit of crushed garlic with some butter
    poke a finger into each dough ball, and put about 1/2tsp of garlic butter inside, then squidge the ball closed
    allow to rise , but they won't rise much,just leave for about an hour
    bake at 170/180 for about 12-15 mins

can be frozen, and reheated in microwave
  • yellowmonkey
    yellowmonkey Posts: 7,052
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    NSD for me today.

That does not happen very often :D

Take care all
  • Annie021063
    Annie021063 Posts: 2,569
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    FFM suggested I ask this question here (previously posted on don't throw food away challenge thread) as you are all so good with recipes.

I have porridge every morning and because hubby had used the last of it for his flapjacks I decided to open a small box of 'McCann's Steel cut Irish Oatmeal' I had in the cupboard. YUK!!! I simply can't eat it as porridge but am reluctant to throw it. Any suggestions? Not sure it would make good flapjacks so other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • superspam
    superspam Posts: 153 Forumite
    Hi!

June starts today for me so can you put me down for £250 please Mrs M? Higher than last month because I have decided to included basically any spend that is not a household bill. I'm feeling motivated as I came in under budget last month! My first spend of the month has been £15.48 in Asda so I'll update my sig now!:D
  • razra
    razra Posts: 336
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    OK, heres the recipe I promised:D

2oz (50g) Margarine
    2 level tbsp golden syrup
    1oz (25g) light brown sugar
    4 oz (115g) plain flour
    1 level tsp bicarb of soda
    1/2 - 1 tsp each of mixed spice, ground cinnamon, and ground ginger (i'm allergic to cinnamon so I tend to just use ginger)

preheat oven to 200C 400F gas 6 grease 2 baking trays (grease really well!!)
    melt marg and syrup
    remove from heat and add sugar
    sift flour spices and bicarb together
    add to melted ingreds and mix well
    if the mix is too sticky leave it too cool for 15 mins
    Roll into 15-18 small balls
    place on tray (allow room for them to spread)
    Bake for 5 mins then LOWER the temp to 180C 350F Gas 4 and bake for further 10 mins
    Cool on the trays.

If you want choccy ones
    replace 1 oz of the flour with 1 ozof cocoa powder, add 1/4 tsp vanilla essence. Either take out all the spices or have choc ginger nuts :D

(very similar method to Twinks hobnobs):T this recipe is from the victory cookbook I bought the other week

HTH
    June Grocery Challenge 270.80/250July Grocery Challenge 0/300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family