PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Coconut muffin recipe?

Options
After my success with blueberry, jam donut, and chocolate muffins at the weekend (all of which have now been eaten :eek: ) I fancy trying some coconut muffins, but the only recipe I have found has been an american one which says to cook them on 400 degrees...seems a bit high to me :confused: So does anyone have a recipe for coconut muffins, I want to add cherries to them too?

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just make the same basic muffin mix you used for your other muffins, add some dessicated coconut (possibly some essence if you have it) and then cook the resulting muffins at the same temperature and the same time as you cooked your other muffins.

As for the 400° that will be in Fahrenheit, since it is American, which would be 200°C or gas mark 6.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    you could also replace the milk in the recipe with coconut milk to add a bit more coco-nuttiness :)
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    squeaky wrote:

As for the 400° that will be in Fahrenheit, since it is American, which would be 200°C or gas mark 6.

Ahhhhhhhh thank you! Will adding another dry ingredient not affect the mixture then?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It can do, yes. You can go one of two ways...

a) swap out some of the flour for the dry ingredient

b) add a little more liquid to get back to the right consistency

Or even some combination of both. Wing it, it won't be far wrong, honest :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Fay
    Options
    Thank you so much...I will give them a go :)
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I just add coconut to a basic muffin mix.My fave is coconut,cherry and choc chip.Coconut also works well with dried apricots.
  • Fay
    Options
    thriftlady-do you have a recipe for your coconut and cherry ones, that is what I want to make! Do you use glace cherries or fresh?
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just made some coconut banana muffins but I suppose you could use cherries instead :confused:

2 cups plain flour
    1/2 cup sugar

1 tbsp baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 cup shredded coconut

1 cup milk

1 large egg, beaten

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 cup mashed bananas

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Usual method of mixing all dry ingredients in one bowl, the wet ones in another, then stirring into dry. Bake at 190C/Gas 5 20 mins.

"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• thriftlady_2
    Options
    Hi Fay,
    I'm afraid it's not really an exact recipe.I just add things a basic muffin mix.The recipe I use is from a brilliant little book called Muffins Fast and Fantastic by Susan Reimer.I bought it in Lakeland.

Basic Muffin makes 12

9 oz(2 cups) plain flour
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    3-4 oz(1/3-1/2 cup) sugar
    1 egg(I substitue 3-4 tbsp milk as dd is allergic to egg,works brilliantly+keeps cost down ;) )
    8 fl oz(1 cup) milk
    3 fl oz(1/3 cup) melted butter or veg oil(I use oil-quicker,cheaper+healthier)

Combine dry ingredients,mix wet in another bowl,then combine the two making sure you don't overmix.
    spoon into greased muffin tins(or use paper cases-I'm too mean for these!)
    Bake at 200c for 20-25 mins

For coconut and cherry I add 3-4 oz coconut and 3-4 oz chopped glace cherries.I also usually add the same amount of plain choc chips-really yummy.I actually use a set of US cups,so its 1/2 a cup of everything that's why it's not very exact.
    Someone suggested using coconut milk instead of cow's milk,I think that would be great.I think fresh cherries would be lush too,but they'd be moister-and more expensive ;)It occurs to me that if you want a really luxurious muffin use chopped posh chocolate instead of chips.You'd get different sized pieces in each muffin...hmmm.

You can see how you can just run with this recipe and do your own thing.I do all the time,I make 2 doz muffins for my school's 'healthy tuck shop'each week.For this I substitute 1/2 wholemeal flour and use lots of fruit and seeds.Btw chopped tinned fruit is good-peaches or pineapple,ooh pineapple with coconut!I'm off to make muffins now :D HTH
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    thriftlady wrote:
    The recipe I use is from a brilliant little book called Muffins Fast and Fantastic by Susan Reimer.I bought it in Lakeland

best ... muffin ... book ... ever :T

I struggled for years to make well-risen, tasty, moist muffins & never managed it till I got this book, every recipe I've tried from it has been wonderful. favourites are triple choc, carrot & pineapple & the gingerbread ones
    I'm going to try your coconut & cherry next :)

I got mine from Lakeland too, but you can get it from bookshops & on-line too. every home should have one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport